• Member Statistics

    16,658
    Total Members
    7,904
    Most Online
    JimMadson
    Newest Member
    JimMadson
    Joined
wdrag

March 2021

Recommended Posts

22 hours ago, MJO812 said:

If it wasn't for the snow event in December and the big snowstorm in early February , this winter would have been terrible.

No snow at all in January and March.

sounds a lot like 2009-10 huh

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, LibertyBell said:

chances for early April snow?

 

Areas that are near 80° on Friday could be in the 20s with the strong blocking to start April. 


8FBDE1A9-7CA8-4514-A009-94238EFA2573.thumb.png.5f4ea088abf764924c72a4b32f240ed2.png

D9847B16-23C8-4053-9D94-3980E0C25298.thumb.png.f66600e84749c7994c5308a36b6c2118.png

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, bluewave said:

Areas that are near 80° on Friday could be in the 20s with the strong blocking to start April. 


8FBDE1A9-7CA8-4514-A009-94238EFA2573.thumb.png.5f4ea088abf764924c72a4b32f240ed2.png

D9847B16-23C8-4053-9D94-3980E0C25298.thumb.png.f66600e84749c7994c5308a36b6c2118.png

 

Huge turnaround.  Even if we get an inch or two of snow that would be quite an achievement.  Anthony may get his 40" yet.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, bluewave said:

All the cold comes in behind one of the cutters leading to the wave break and blocking. We would probably need a stray lake effect streamer or weak upper disturbance. So maybe one last T or perhaps .01 for somebody? Hard to tell this far out in time. But this will continue the ridiculous AO swings  pattern.

Remember April 2006, Chris?  Is that what happened?  NYC got its 0.1 to get to 40.0 and JFK had 1-2 inches of snow, that was quite heavy early in the morning of that day.

The other one I distinctly remember was in early April 1990 after it had already gotten into the mid 80s in the middle of March.

Were both of these that type of event?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, LibertyBell said:

Remember April 2006, Chris?  Is that what happened?  NYC got its 0.1 to get to 40.0 and JFK had 1-2 inches of snow, that was quite heavy early in the morning of that day.

The other one I distinctly remember was in early April 1990 after it had already gotten into the mid 80s in the middle of March.

Were both of these that type of event?

 

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, LibertyBell said:

Didnt get much here near JFK, maybe half an inch of rain?

 

JFK should easily break Friday's record, dont you think, Don?

 

0.69” rain yesterday at JFK. It should break the record tomorrow. The temperature will probably surpass 70 there.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, LibertyBell said:

Didnt get much here near JFK, maybe half an inch of rain?

 

JFK should easily break Friday's record, dont you think, Don?

 

Just go to the 3 day weather history on the noaa point and click and it gives you all the rain totals for each site. Looks like most of the heavy rain stayed to our west. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

April 2 - April 5 looks like the peak of the chill, then moderation beyond there.  Could be backdoor/onshore city for a period though so the warmup may not be that warm during the day.   

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SACRUS said:

April 2 - April 5 looks like the peak of the chill, then moderation beyond there.  Could be backdoor/onshore city for a period though so the warmup may not be that warm during the day.   

The only thing that could ruin a warm, sunny spring day is an easterly fetch off those cold Atlantic waters. 

We've seen a lot of that lately and we'll have too see if the -NAO is transient it longer lasting.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1.20 yesterday.  Looks like when I get back from Florida on Easter weekend it might be quite chilly.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SnoSki14 said:

The only thing that could ruin a warm, sunny spring day is an easterly fetch off those cold Atlantic waters. 

We've seen a lot of that lately and we'll have too see if the -NAO is transient it longer lasting.

If we see the trough build over the Maritimes and a big high, we know what that means. Garbage as long as that’s there. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Unusually high number of 60° days for Long Island in March. We moved into 3rd place today at 6 days. Tomorrow will be day 7 with the big warm up.

 

Time Series Summary for ISLIP-LI MACARTHUR AP, NY - Month of Mar
Click column heading to sort ascending, click again to sort descending.
Rank
Year
Number of Days Max Temperature >= 60 
Missing Count
1 2016 10 0
- 2012 10 0
2 2010 7 0
- 2003 7 0
- 1987 7 0
3 1986 6 0
  2021 6 7
4 2020 5 0
- 2002 5 0
- 2000 5 0
- 1998 5 0
- 1995 5 0
- 1979 5 0
- 1977 5 0
- 1973 5 0
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, SACRUS said:

April 2 - April 5 looks like the peak of the chill, then moderation beyond there.  Could be backdoor/onshore city for a period though so the warmup may not be that warm during the day.   

Right now the models are showing just a brief cool shot for a couple days, and then it quickly warms back up to the 60s for sunday April 4th and beyond. But as we get closer we'll have to see if the models pick up on the possibility of chilly weather lingering longer due to the NAO being negative. Hopefully it will be quickly back to 60s like the models are showing right now. It's miserable when chilly weather lingers in April.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, jm1220 said:

Really warmed up today. 72 here now. Only 50 at Captree which is a 20 min or so drive south. 

We got lucky. Clouds all around and western Suffolk cleared out first today 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, psv88 said:

We got lucky. Clouds all around and western Suffolk cleared out first today 

Yeah here in NJ it's cooler than what was forecasted for today. Stuck in the mid 60s due to the cloudy skies.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Record high of 67° at Islip.

MacArthur/ISP  PTSUNNY   67  56 
Data for March 25 - ISLIP-LI MACARTHUR AP, NY
Click column heading to sort ascending, click again to sort descending.
Date
Max Temperature 
Min Temperature 
Precipitation 
Snowfall 
Snow Depth 
1987-03-25 66 31 T 0.0 0
2017-03-25 61 40 T 0.0 0
2016-03-25 60 43 0.01 0.0 0
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, winterwx21 said:

Yeah here in NJ it's cooler than what was forecasted for today. Stuck in the mid 60s due to the cloudy skies.

Dont worry, youll be in the 80s in may and we will be 50s with mist

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Euro has mid to upper 70s tomorrow north of the Southern State on Long Island.
 

EB7BD60D-037D-4E7D-96C7-3E15E530FF6A.thumb.png.98c3dd30887f4331ba55131959c0b8cb.png

  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, winterwx21 said:

Yeah here in NJ it's cooler than what was forecasted for today. Stuck in the mid 60s due to the cloudy skies.

Mid 60s in late March is a win. That's at least 10 degrees above normal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.