Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
February 18/19th Storm Potential

stormtracker

1 minute ago, midatlanticweather said:

Well this Stinks - Trends went poorly overnight. Hopeful they stabilize or reverse a little bit today. Starting to get fuel myself based on that correction. Euro has been running cold. Nam has led the way on most systems this year. If the event were imminent I would be happy with the set up for MBY...but this has the Lucy feel on snow. It will be a Significant storm.. But I think deep down we see and know what is happening here. 

What? How did overnight go poorly?

• Thanks 2

1 minute ago, osfan24 said:

What? How did overnight go poorly?

The Euro trended worse, the CMC trended worse, the NAM is about the same. In other words if you are a glass half empty type you could say that things are trending towards the NAM. This is at least true for Fairfax county where I live in which is disappointing. 

• Weenie 1

5 minutes ago, midatlanticweather said:

Well this Stinks - Trends went poorly overnight. Hopeful they stabilize or reverse a little bit today. Starting to get fuel myself based on that correction. Euro has been running cold. Nam has led the way on most systems this year. If the event were imminent I would be happy with the set up for MBY...but this has the Lucy feel on snow. It will be a Significant storm.. But I think deep down we see and know what is happening here. 

I don't think this is accurate...the trends were for it to be colder and be more of a coastal. The nam is more frozen, the euro was colder and a tad drier the gfs is a bomb the ukie is a bomb the cmc is the same as it always was a gigantic sleet bomb. Not sure there were any bad trends.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I do feel that the trends did not go great for now because most showed a colder but more or a sleet bomb solution. Though since it is trending colder this might mean that in the future we will see more snow. That said it did at least for me who is not an optimist after all of the missed storms this year trends did not go great snowfall wise which a lot of people look at.

• Confused 6

1 minute ago, SnowenOutThere said:

The Euro trended worse, the CMC trended worse, the NAM is about the same. In other words if you are a glass half empty type you could say that things are trending towards the NAM. This is at least true for Fairfax county where I live in which is disappointing. 

The Euro was a little drier.  That's it.  GFS got better,  Absolutely nothing is trending to the NAM.   

What are you going on about?

• Like 5

Just now, SnowenOutThere said:

I do feel that the trends did not go great for now because most showed a colder but more or a sleet bomb solution. Though since it is trending colder this might mean that in the future we will see more snow. That said it did at least for me who is not an optimist after all of the missed storms this year trends did not go great snowfall wise which a lot of people look at.

Can somebody translate this?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

I recall someone important years ago saying the least accurate aspect of models is the QPF output....I'm guessing clearly they generally are too wet but I don't know every bias...hold steady folks something significant is heading this way...and if it doesn't then something insignificant is heading this way. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, SnowenOutThere said:

Colder at the surface doesn’t crosswalk to a snowier solution. We are going to flip to non-snow frozen. That’s a given. Those of us close to the cities just have to hope for a front thump of snow before that flip. And, none of that changed w the overnight runs.

I'm hugging the NAM. I want 3-5" of sleet. I love love love those kinds of storms. When I first moved here in 2016, a year later, 2017, was my favorite winter storm. 3" of sleet. People here know how to deal with snow mostly but sleet, no. It was hilarious because I suddenly felt like everyone was in my boat, a newbie.

People treated it like snow, it looked like snow, covered everything, but it was not snow.

The plows came and created these sleet mountains that looked like snow. People tried to back over them with their cars, and it didn't compact down, because it was pure ice. It was chaos in the most hilarious way, car tires sticking up in the air as the cars got stuck on those little snow banks created by the plows.

It stayed for SO long, melted so slowly. I absolutely loved it.

and that was 3". Nam is showing 4-5" of sleet now. That is exciting to me.

• Like 2

I’m the typical Deb Downer and the village idiot (great combination :) ) but I am excited about this set up. The overrunning should be into a cold airmass and this isn’t a miller B like the overrunning fail from a few weeks ago. We will go over to mix and frankly if that happens after 4 inches or 6 inches probably won’t matter much if we get it solidified into concrete afterwards. Either way could be an impactful and memorable storm. I think we often simply judge storm but snow accumulation which isn’t always the best idea. Interesting setup here. Looking forward to how this evolves.

• Like 1