Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
February 10-12, 2021 Winter Event

MN Transplant

3 minutes ago, jaydreb said:

See my post though. Euro and GFS have totally different precip jackpots.  Almost 1”  QPF difference in some spots.  

It's for the same reason. This isnt really a synoptic event and very hard to get qpf right. If this was a warm spring boundary event the qpf spread would be even bigger but nobody would care. It's basically a slow moving/stalled front that wobbles around with a moisture feed 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

But we aren’t talking about 100 hours away. And we aren’t talking about one model and it’s variance. We are talking about the large disparity between models. How would you feel about a hurricane landfall forecast that was wrong by 75 miles 24 hours out?

is the guidance that divergent...or are we just giving too much weight to ONE MODEL.  Yea I know its "the king" but its prone to errors just like the others.  While better its scores are not so superior that it should be taken against all other evidence.  Right now it seems to be completely on its own with wave 1 which is only 24 hours away.  That is a big deal because we are now in range that the 0z meso guidance coming out should be given some significant weight and it all agrees with a more north wave 1 like the GFS/ICON/GGEM.  The euro is a little south with wave 2...but not THAT much, its the differences wave 1 that make it look so crazy off...and plus if we cannot trust its representation of wave 1 why can we trust what it is showing wave 2?  IMO its likely the euro is just having an issue here.  If we ignore it...the rest of guidance isn't really that far apart from each other imo.  

12 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

is the guidance that divergent...or are we just giving too much weight to ONE MODEL.  Yea I know its "the king" but its prone to errors just like the others.  While better its scores are not so superior that it should be taken against all other evidence.  Right now it seems to be completely on its own with wave 1 which is only 24 hours away.  That is a big deal because we are now in range that the 0z meso guidance coming out should be given some significant weight and it all agrees with a more north wave 1 like the GFS/ICON/GGEM.  The euro is a little south with wave 2...but not THAT much, its the differences wave 1 that make it look so crazy off...and plus if we cannot trust its representation of wave 1 why can we trust what it is showing wave 2?  IMO its likely the euro is just having an issue here.  If we ignore it...the rest of guidance isn't really that far apart from each other imo.  

PSU -- do you remember what the Euro was showing for the Bob Chill storm in 2019? I seem to recall that it was way drier than reality even up to and during the early parts of the storm. Maybe it just isn't as hot with this type of event. 

14 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

Tbh I think the models are significantly divergent. Maybe I’m wrong though. But to me the differences are utterly enormous given our timeframe. The mesos and globals are at serious odds with each other, and there are differences within THOSE groups too. 

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

Think this is true but the euro is a little outside of that range. And 75 miles is pretty big in an east west event made even more so by the fact that it’s a narrow stripe to begin with. That’s more than a degree latitude.

11 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

DT has to be sweating the GFS. Dont know how CHO is getting 10 inches off of .3 qpf. 

Saturday storm incoming on the GFS.

We're going to get shellacked

• Like 4

• WxUSAF locked and unpinned this topic