Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February 10-12, 2021 Winter Event

MN Transplant

25 minutes ago, NorthArlington101 said:

Looking at the snow maps, less amped might be the best way to put it. Not sure it really moved all that south... just not nearly as impressive.

There is a limit to how far south the cold can get given the latitude at which the wave is crossing at.  The cold can't penetrate south of the actual wave since that will ride the boundary...and to press the wave south...force it to sink, at that point there is so much suppression you are squashing it and that is what is happening now.  

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

10 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

There is a limit to how far south the cold can get given the latitude at which the wave is crossing at.  The cold can't penetrate south of the actual wave since that will ride the boundary...and to press the wave south...force it to sink, at that point there is so much suppression you are squashing it and that is what is happening now.  

Was thinking about this earlier. How often is it that a weak wave gets pressed so intensely and manages to produce? Models for a while wanted to say you could just move the whole event south no biggie, just changes who jackpots. But in reality a weak wave getting this rough treatment from the north isn't going to just move south. It's going to die. 

Since these are similar boundary waves might be pertinent to consider the NAM just schooled EVERYTHING else on the wave to our north today... it was well north of all other guidance at just 24 hours lead time and scored the coup.   Something to consider once this gets inside short range...wave 1 is almost there but wave 2 is still not.  

I feel somewhat more optimistic given that the cold high in Iowa is fading while the parent high, a monster 1062 mb center up in the NWT, is slowly pushing south. That should stop the southward push on the wave train and when I look at the RGEM output the precip shield looks realistic but the thickness and thermal profiles look unrealistic (too far north) which would argue for more of the depicted precip to fall as snow. Hence an early call of 4-7" for the I-95, max could be a bit south of the DC-BWI-ILG corridor at 5-9" but I don't think it would be pushed as far south as RIC. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Roger Smith said:

I feel somewhat more optimistic given that the cold high in Iowa is fading while the parent high, a monster 1062 mb center up in the NWT, is slowly pushing south. That should stop the southward push on the wave train and when I look at the RGEM output the precip shield looks realistic but the thickness and thermal profiles look unrealistic (too far north) which would argue for more of the depicted precip to fall as snow. Hence an early call of 4-7" for the I-95, max could be a bit south of the DC-BWI-ILG corridor at 5-9" but I don't think it would be pushed as far south as RIC. 

Weren’t you calling for 12 or 18” last weekend?

• Haha 4

4 minutes ago, baltimoreguy said:

Weren’t you calling for 12 or 18” last weekend?

Nope, you're thinking of the earlier storm and like with models, error then does not imply error now. Sunday 7th snow potential was botched by just about everybody as I recall. All I'm saying is, suppression seems overdone on Euro, there isn't that much further push south with this Midwest high weakening and being pulled across to your north although obviously the fronts will sag some distance further south before settling for the wave to run along. 

10 minutes ago, Roger Smith said:

Your always optimistic bro.

• WxUSAF locked and unpinned this topic