Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February 10-12, 2021 Winter Event

MN Transplant

5 minutes ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

That’s a very interesting map. It is showing 8-10” of snow in portions of Ky that don’t have a single flake of snow forecast for the next three days. That is very interesting.

I think I’ve read somewhere that storm vista snow maps count everything falling at 32 and below snow so it catches a ton of sleet in those maps.

19 minutes ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

That’s a very interesting map. It is showing 8-10” of snow in portions of Ky that don’t have a single flake of snow forecast for the next three days. That is very interesting.

16 minutes ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

In fact that map has 10” of snow in places that aren’t even being forecast to have any frozen at all. I don’t think the NWS forecasters down there have lost their minds. There is a reason that the euro is not being weighed into these forecasts.

I have deduced that those stormvista max res EPS snowfall maps are often so much higher then wxbell on the southern edge of snowfall zones is because it counts freezing rain as 10-1 snowfall.  People didn't notice but last year the wxbell maps stopped doing that when they updated and that is why the ensemble means on wxbell arent as crazy stupid ridiculous high as they used to be.  

Just now, psuhoffman said:

I have deduced that those stormvista max res EPS snowfall maps are often so much higher then wxbell on the southern edge of snowfall zones is because it counts freezing rain as 10-1 snowfall.  People didn't notice but last year the wxbell maps stopped doing that when they updated and that is why the ensemble means on wxbell arent as crazy stupid ridiculous high as they used to be.  

That has to be the explanation. 

Every model combined has snow as far south as the NC border and as far North as the Pennsylvania border....those are your edges....now we refine down to the details tomorrow clearly somewhere between there it will snow decently perhaps a lot of places  between those edges

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

You are placing a lot of faith in one model

huh?  When did I make any prediction?  There was a post that the EPS was less suppressive.  I made the observation that it trended south with both waves.  It did.  Someone kind of questioned that so I posted proof.  I made no prediction at all.  

Just now, psuhoffman said:

huh?  When did I make any prediction?  There was a post that the EPS was less suppressive.  I made the observation that it trended south with both waves.  It did.  Someone kind of questioned that so I posted proof.  I made no prediction at all.  

Cool. Couldn’t necessarily see that in your post. It may well end up right. But something seems off here. The biggest flag for me is that the NWS and HPC don’t seem to be weighing the euro heavily.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

Cool. Couldn’t necessarily see that in your post. It may well end up right. But something seems off here. The biggest flag for me is that the NWS and HPC don’t seem to be weighing the euro heavily.

I don't know what to make of it honestly.  I was never buying into the idea that this was a 12-18" snowstorm like the euro was indicating 48 hours ago.  That seemed off.  I said that once or twice but I didn't want to take a crap all over the party so I mostly kept it to myself.  But I was expecting it to come back down to earth and show a more reasonable 4-8" type storm.  But now it has swung to the other extreme.  The GFS has certainly been less jumpy with this but it has been subtly trending south also.   I still think what I did several days ago...that this has 4-8" snow written all over it...but where exactly the focal point for that ends up is the catch.  I guess I favor the further north guidance but seeing the NAM/Euro so far south with the more significant second wave really is troublesome.  Hopefully as I am typing this the NAM trends north a little and that would make me feel better about tossing the euro.  

• WxUSAF locked and unpinned this topic