Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
February 10-12, 2021 Winter Event

MN Transplant

2 minutes ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

My take is when it looks iffy, see what the pros think. There are great minds here, but people like those at HPC are trained professionals with experience forecasting winter weather. Their interpretation of models and data carries more weight. Period. And they obviously are not on the Euro train.

Yes and they seem to be much more bullish than we are tbh. It's a guiding light for sure. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

I don't expect anyone to listen but 50-75 mile shifts on globals run over run really doesn't mean much. The only "trend" I see has been detailed already with the "pac man" dry air bite out of the NE periphery of the shield. I (We) have seen that before. Feb 2014 & 15 had some similar "erosion" with a few events. Euro could be spot on but I'd wait another 24 hours before spiking sour lemons. If your yard is still under the "general idea" you should still be thrilled. Lasering into to fine details starts with 0z tonight imo but even then... We're talking 50-100 miles in total distance here. That can happen in real time. 

As usual you are the voice of reason!

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

I don't expect anyone to listen but 50-75 mile shifts on globals run over run really doesn't mean much. The only "trend" I see has been detailed already with the "pac man" dry air bite out of the NE periphery of the shield. I (We) have seen that before. Feb 2014 & 15 had some similar "erosion" with a few events. Euro could be spot on but I'd wait another 24 hours before spiking sour lemons. If your yard is still under the "general idea" you should still be thrilled. Lasering into to fine details starts with 0z tonight imo but even then... We're talking 50-100 miles in total distance here. That can happen in real time. 

I listen to you like gospel, my friend. You’re one of the few folks who are extremely well versed in understanding potential reality v. Verbatim model depictions via your deep knowledge of setups, climo, past analogs, etc. I agree 100%. Anybody within 50-75 miles of the depicted snow Max should definitely not be writing this off. Especially folks in areas such as MoCo, HoCo, NoVA, over toward Baltimore city. How many times do we need to see storms shift in real time before we stop getting burned by kuchera snow maps 

14 minutes ago, jayyy said:

I listen to you like gospel, my friend. You’re one of the few folks who are extremely well versed in understanding potential reality v. Verbatim model depictions via your deep knowledge of setups, climo, past analogs, etc. I agree 100%. Anybody within 50-75 miles of the depicted snow Max should definitely not be writing this off. Especially folks in areas such as MoCo, HoCo, NoVA, over toward Baltimore city. How many times do we need to see storms shift in real time before we stop getting burned by kuchera snow maps 

The unfortunate part about the transition to the mid range to the short range is people's nerves are already fried. They've seen a million looks and reacted differently to all of them. Just because we're in the short range now doesn't mean it's all figured out. It's never all figured out like that. I like what wxusaf said and practice the same. Grab the set of models that you feel have the best handle (sometimes it's all of them) and then just blend them. Adjust what you know may be likely incorrect or just less likely to happen. If 4 models are all south and 1 model is jacking your yard, don't expect to get jacked. If the entire suite is shotgunned within a defined range (like right now), SOMEONE is prob getting jacked nearby. Might be you, might be someone else but you're in the game.

I never understood why people simply latch onto the absolute most cherry picked set of runs/models and then lose it every time something shows something worse. Mid to short range ALWAYS has a series of overdone solutions. You can set your watch to it. I treat that set as max potential not a bar but that's just me. 

ETA: one more thing... this whole setup is NOT a prolific QPF producer nor a super heavy snow dumper. 1.2" of qpf as snow is A LOT OF QPF. Usually reserved for a sub 1000mb low off the coast situation. That's not what's going on here. We're benefitting from a 1-2 punch but a big shellacking storm this is not. Never once thought it was and definitely not expecting double digit snowfall. It's possible but not widespread imo unless it hits on all cylinders. Which happens like once every 5 years. 

• Like 14
  • Thanks 3

24 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

We should all read this post 10 times so it sinks in.  A couple tenths of an inch of precip one way or the other or 100 miles in the general track of the low pressure is noise.  Of course that noise is deafening when it takes away 6 inches of digital snow.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Imgoinhungry said:

What is our best shot of significant snow?  This event, weekend event, or early next week event?

roll the dice.  this one has a light/mod feel to it.  not a ton of moisture.  the weekend system doesn't quite have a high in the right spot, imo (though not off by much).  the one next week looks like it has a chance, but it's just simply too early to know.  the only trend i'm seeing is that each storm seems to have more moisture to work with.

• Thanks 1

Can’t post it because I’m on my phone, but 3k NAM soundings look much better in central MD vs 12z, particularly for Thursday morning. Saturated DGZ with good upward motion. If the NAM is right for central MD, would imply wave 1 ends as nice fluff. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

30 minutes ago, NovaTarHeel said:

I used to live up in Herndon and spent some time in Fairfax. The main thread was fun to follow then because everyone lived within a 30 mile radius of each other. 

Now that I’m down here, I giggle when we get more snow than them.  I laugh maniacally when Leesburg gets shut out. 

From our southern friends :lol:

• Haha 1

• WxUSAF locked and unpinned this topic