Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Quick Hitter Coastal Threat, Feb 7-8th

The 4 Seasons

3 minutes ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

There is only so far this can "come west"  Things are pretty well sampled right now and the goal posts have narrowed. 

The flow is really fast and there is a stout NAO block up in Davis Strait/Baffin island area....there's not much room to come west. I'm considering it fortunate if it is far enough NW to hit SNE.

5 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

Dendy is so close to a full on melt... he will deny it, but it is palpable

It honestly kinda seems like somewhere around ORH is a better spot for snow than parts of CNE. There are frequent precip holes in that part of NH. I am newb to this area so maybe long term the story is different, just my observation.

58 minutes ago, The 4 Seasons said:

This thing is outta here fast. 

What is that PD2? I meant Feb 7-8 2003. The mini nuke that dropped 18" of SE MA but was a general 5-10 for most of SNE. We had some crazy rates and thundersnow that storm. I believe it was mentioned here by Will yesterday. Buy yea Feb 7-8 2003 was the analog showing up. I think this is PD2.

Yes mentoring MY FAVORITE STORM Ever!!!!!   

The ONLY Time I saw 4” per hour unlike all you lucky weenie people that take it for granted and get it every tom dick and harry Storm.  4” per hour for 2 hours and no wind so you could truly see what it looks like.  Just pure Heaven.  Got 14”.  

• Like 2

Just now, PhineasC said:

It honestly kinda seems like somewhere around ORH is a better spot for snow than parts of CNE. There are frequent precip holes in that part of NH. I am newb to this area so maybe long term the story is different, just my observation.

ORH is prob better than CON by a couple ticks, but I think where dendrite is does better than ORH by a few ticks and his area up there is also better for retention. That is that start of big time CAD land. ORH is a good spot for retention overall but not as good as getting up north of CON. ORH is sort of where the CAD starts in earnest in a lot of messier events, but it hits a new tier when you get north of CON and then it goes into nuclear bunker mode once into W ME.

If you like monster 18"+ synoptic storms, then ORH is one of the best spots due to the elevation and proximity to the ocean. There is really no terrain that screws with it during ocean storms....easterly flow or northerly or northeasterly flow are all going to work there.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, The 4 Seasons said:

What is that PD2? I meant Feb 7-8 2003. The mini nuke that dropped 18" of SE MA but was a general 5-10 for most of SNE. We had some crazy rates and thundersnow that storm. I believe it was mentioned here by Will yesterday. Buy yea Feb 7-8 2003 was the analog showing up. I think this is PD2.

My mistake.

• Like 1

Just now, Hoth said:

Any similarity to that super fast one we had in '17? Sucker was in and out in about 8 hours and put down over a foot. 

Yes there are a few similarities to that one....but it's not as robust of a shortwave and the orientations will be more NE to SW rather than the bands tilting more vertical in that 2/9/17 event. Both occurred in a very fast flow environment and assuming the modeling is correct on this one, both have excellent ML fronto features.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, The 4 Seasons said:

PD2 was PD 2003.  I think it was around 2/17.   2/7/03 was separate and we had good snow otg by PD2 because it was pretty cold in that interval 

13 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

They’re on a roll overall. I mean I just had almost 3ft in a storm. I’m honestly not melting or complaining. I had some monster years in the late 2000s and early 2010s. ORH does better with the bigger amounts, but we slowly pick away at that difference in smaller events. 

edit...yeah, similar reply from Will...just more in depth.

9 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

ORH is prob better than CON by a couple ticks, but I think where dendrite is does better than ORH by a few ticks and his area up there is also better for retention. That is that start of big time CAD land. ORH is a good spot for retention overall but not as good as getting up north of CON. ORH is sort of where the CAD starts in earnest in a lot of messier events, but it hits a new tier when you get north of CON and then it goes into nuclear bunker mode once into W ME.

If you like monster 18"+ synoptic storms, then ORH is one of the best spots due to the elevation and proximity to the ocean. There is really no terrain that screws with it during ocean storms....easterly flow or northerly or northeasterly flow are all going to work there.

3 minutes ago, dendrite said:

They’re on a roll overall. I mean I just had almost 3ft in a storm. I’m honestly not melting or complaining. I had some monster years in the late 2000s and early 2010s. ORH does better with the bigger amounts, but we slowly pick away at that difference in smaller events. 

edit...yeah, similar reply from Will...just more in depth.

Thanks guys, makes perfect sense. I used to be all about the huge events like Will was saying for ORH, but starting to hedge more in the retention department being up here now. I can see the appeal of both.