Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
2-7-21 Sunday 8-12 hour nor'easter snowstorm roughly 5A-5P

wdrag

Just now, crossbowftw3 said:

that's still close to upper bound WWA for inland areas 

Morris County is about that 3-6 range, so it doesn't qualify for a watch at this point. To be honest, I would be fine with it hitting elsewhere. I'd like my roof, downspouts, and drains to have ample time to melt. We had a general 1-2" quick hitter this morning (melted already, but still).

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, HVSnowLover said:

Every storm everyone worried about rain. This is not a rain threat based on current guidance.

I think this one is done coming NW, the models are coming back from the overcorrect. You had the suppression earlier on in the week which was dead wrong, then the models corrected when they realized they underestimated the SE Ridge, we saw an overcorrection yesterday and this morning, now they have evened out, the RGEM just came east from its far west track earlier. I can easily see an eastern NYC and LI jackpot here. The 18z RGEM is actually matching up very well with the 12z EPS. I really don’t see this one becoming a NW suburb (Rockland, Orange, Bergen, Passaic, northern Westchester, Sussex, Sullivan) jackpot. NAM is too far west. Outlier 

• Weenie 1

5 minutes ago, snowman19 said:

I think this one is done coming NW, the models are coming back from the overcorrect. You had the suppression earlier on in the week which was dead wrong, then the models corrected when they realized they underestimated the SE Ridge, we saw an overcorrection yesterday and this morning, now they have evened out, the RGEM just came east from its far west track earlier. I can easily see an eastern NYC and LI jackpot here. The 18z RGEM is actually matching up very well with the 12z EPS. I really don’t see this one becoming a NW suburb (Rockland, Orange, Bergen, Passaic, northern Westchester, Sussex, Sullivan) jackpot. NAM is too far west. Outlier 

Agree usually if it was going to trend more west the models would just keep trending west and west like the two big storms we’ve had. I still think 3-6 for the city and 6-12 for central and eastern LI is a good call. Nice storm but not a big one city on west. 

Friday afternoon 509PM: Title change dropped late 6th-early 8th and reworded Description.  NAM/GGEM/RGEM are tending to be the most robust of the models with a warnable 6-12" event LI and NJ basically s of I78 with lesser amounts north.  Banding and decent snow growth may permit this but ensembles and other modeling indicate a little less. I think the minimum snowfall in our NYC subforum counties will be 2".  Am not too worried about sleet on the southern edge for our area. Bottom line, shovels and snowblowers will be needed  before the Super Bowl and safely keep those hydrant areas cleaned, and gutters from having dammed up meltwater icicles.  Flat roofs might have some structure problems if the water content of the remaining snow exceeds limits (unknown to me). If removing snow, especially roofs/gutters-----safety FIRST.  

• Like 11

1 minute ago, wdrag said:

Friday afternoon 509PM: Title change dropped late 6th-early 8th and reworded Description.  NAM/GGEM/RGEM are tending to be the most robust of the models with a warnable 6-12" event LI and NJ basically s of I78 with lesser amounts north.  Banding and decent snow growth may permit this but ensembles and other modeling indicate a little less. I think the minimum snowfall in our NYC subforum counties will be 2".  Am not too worried about sleet on the southern edge for our area. Bottom line, shovels and snowblowers will be needed  before the Super Bowl and safely keep those hydrant areas cleaned, and gutters from having dammed up meltwater icicles.  Flat roofs might have some structure problems if the water content of the remaining snow exceeds limits (unknown to me). If removing snow, especially roofs/gutters-----safety FIRST.  

one lucky element from the last storm-high winds blew alot of the snow off roofs.....

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, SnoSki14 said:

I think the metro is in a good spot for this.

There's still some wiggle room for a western push from most of the models.

I think we'll get 6-10" with local spots near a foot. 

If this is an Ocean/ Monmouth/LI special we won't see a whole lot in our neck of the woods, like a 2-4, unless we go 4-8 and they go higher. Seen this set up a lot of times in recent years. East is not good for us, nor is too far west. We straddle the storm lines, it seems.