• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Obs and nowcast Major Nor'easter near blizzard Sunday afternoon Jan 31 - Sunrise Wednesday Feb 3

wdrag

Plow came by about an hour ago. Looks like he was never here. Temps have not been higher than the upper teens in like 4 days. And temps have only made it to freezing maybe once or twice in the last 2 weeks. Ground is frozen solid. Not sure how deep the frost is under unpaved surfaces,  but I Would think about a foot?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, weatherpruf said:

So this lull is temporary then....sounds like a good time to do some cleanup while the opportunity exists....

My advice: Anyone expecting storm totals more than 10" should do your first big cleanup between now and 10AM, then sit back and enjoy.  

I'll do my second around 4PM (whereby I think I'll have 6-8" in 6 hours, and then an 8PM for another 6 in 4 hours" Then tomorrow morning...cant wake the neighbors.  

If anyone thinks they can snow blow 12" of 32-33F wet snow, they may be surprised at the difficulty.  Certainly my blower cant handle more than 24" max dry snow and probably less than that.  

Don't tear the rotator cuff and those with heart conditions, be especially careful. Stay free of downed wires this afternoon-evening and if power goes out, watch that those generator fumes don't build up inside your home. 

Best to all!

• Like 6

5 hours ago, RU848789 said:

Just went for a "JebWalk" - a beautiful night in the snow.  Up to 7.0" here in Metuchen as of 2 am and yes, it's still 23F.  Snow has been very light the last 20 minutes or so and the radar looks spotty for awhile, so this could be a good time to nap.  

Didn't get that much overnight while I snoozed.  Went from 7.0" at 2 am to 8.5" at 7 am.  From what the NWS discussion said, sounds like there was a lull, which was underway when I went to sleep around 2:30 am, plus some sleet/freezing rain fell with the lighter precip.  Snowing moderately right now at 28F. 

Let's see if we get the 13=14" additional inches my point-and-click forecast says for Metuchen, which would be within the 12-18" the NWS map shows for 7 am through tomorrow for our swath in the map below (and close to the 13" of additional snow shown for nearby New Brunswick) from 7 am until the end, which would give me 21-22" total.  I like the "expected snowfall" maps from 7 am this morning through 7 am Weds (with most of it today, obviously), but wish they'd also include a "storm total" graphic.  

StormTotalSnowWeb.png

StormTotalSnowWeb.png