Total Members
    Most Online
    UHF120HzWave
    Newest Member
    UHF120HzWave
Jan 31st - 33rd Storm Obs and Disco like it's 1979

Bob Chill

10 minutes ago, leesburg 04 said:

Man now that band looks like it will make a nice run over to the western folks...that's cool...anyone who caught some of the east and will get some of the west could be quite happy....I'm looking at you H2O :wacko2:

If I had known you would be looking at me I would have shaved.  

5" now total.  

• Like 1

I had told my friends locally that I thought 4-8" was a good call with 4" being the absolute minimum for my immediate area around Colesville, MD. 

I think I'll end up being right....but it didn't go down at all like I would have expected it to despite our Miller B climo. That WAA thump REALLY underperformed for my back yard (well my parent's). But this continuous bombardment of light to moderate snow is likely going to get me past the 6 inch mark. 

Let's hope this is an appetizer for the next part of the pattern!

13 minutes ago, Scuddz said:

bracketed by bands but nothing here but flurries all morning.  Definitely going to be in a local minimum once this is all mapped out.  Still enough to go sled with the kiddos though.

We've definitely had a little bad luck.  Still have very slowly tacked up 6"+.  I called 8-12" for us on Saturday and 6" was my bar for acceptable.  So we got there, even if it was a struggle. What's for sure is that my Jebwalk timing has been terrible.  Each time it's started snowing well and I've gotten outside for a walk, it's tapered off quickly lol.

3 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

We've definitely had a little bad luck.  Still have very slowly tacked up 6"+.  I called 8-12" for us on Saturday and 6" was my bar for acceptable.  So we got there, even if it was a struggle. What's for sure is that my Jebwalk timing has been terrible.  Each time it's started snowing well and I've gotten outside for a walk, it's tapered off quickly lol.

Would be fun if this was the 2021 version of the late January snowfall in 2010 ;) - the long range and storm term thread should be rocking in the coming days. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Kmlwx said:

Would be fun if this was the 2021 version of the late January snowfall in 2010 ;) - the long range and storm term thread should be rocking in the coming days. 

I haven't looked beyond today much yet, but seems like we're probably going to be busy for a couple weeks at least.  Much of our snow often comes in bunches and relatively short periods, so it wouldn't be crazy.  

• Like 3

@DCTeacherman...I have been looking at SPC mesoanalyis to see what might have caused this snow band.  Best I can see, the 700mb low seemed to extend south and/or reform a bit over the southern tip of the Delmarva.  Lift is usually maximized on the N/NW fringe of the 700mb low, which yesterday was over northern NJ/NYC/NE PA.  Then there was also wind and moisture convergence around 850mb.  

Here's 700mb:

75ft.gif?1612276789105

I can't post the -2hr (2 hours ago) map it seems..., but here's the link to the 850mb plot and just click the -4 or -2 button at the top right (time sensitive obviously):

https://www.spc.noaa.gov/exper/mesoanalysis/new/viewsector.php?sector=17#

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic