Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Jan 31st - 33rd Storm Obs and Disco like it's 1979

Bob Chill

12 minutes ago, ErinInTheSky said:

Weird. I'm actually getting some significant melting. Underneath the snow are big puddles of water. The rates are good, it's not sunny, and the temp isn't TOO high (34ish?)

Happens here every time. Even though the sun isn't out - you're still getting some energy making its way through the clouds to melt the snow. Parent's walkway has cleared out on its own at this point. 

• Like 2

Start watching that band in the wee hours but fell asleep at 3:30am. Must have movedin heavy as picked up another 1.5-2 bringing my current snowpack to 4.5-5”

if I add back in the melt down compaction from the mixed precip then I got 6-6.5” snow total.  So I was down to 2” upon awakening yesterday, got another inch by 11pm and then another 1.5 to 2 in 12-5am time frame 

Currently 34F 

13 minutes ago, ILIKERAKE said:

i cant wait to look at the overall storm loop, especially from Sunday evening on.. its crazy how there was a steady snow bubble over Eastern Baltimore and AA County.. everything that came this way fizzled out.  Even that massive punch from SE PA came down and got subsidenced (sp?) 

Where can I get access to a good one? 

15 minutes ago, ILIKERAKE said:

i cant wait to look at the overall storm loop, especially from Sunday evening on.. its crazy how there was a steady snow bubble over Eastern Baltimore and AA County.. everything that came this way fizzled out.  Even that massive punch from SE PA came down and got subsidenced (sp?) 

Yup...I have not added any new snow that I can tell since Sunday night...I mean PERHAPS there was a dusting at some point but never measurable.  Any time it did snow since yesterday it was just pixie dust.

18 minutes ago, ILIKERAKE said:

My only guess is that we were too close to the upper level low and the best lift for wrap around bands was along the fall line and up agaisnt the mountain ridges...but idk, somebody more of an expert would have to try to confirm that

1 minute ago, Baltimorewx said:

My only guess is that we were too close to the upper level low and the best lift for wrap around bands was along the fall line and up agaisnt the mountain ridges...but idk, somebody more of an expert would have to try to confirm that

Also not an expert, but I think it was Occam's Razor: ULL was simply too far north. The picture perfect placement of the coastal just couldn't fill the precip shield on the southwestern side. Just climo really. Western areas got great lift which sucked up a lot of what would've fallen in central MD. But these bands here are saving the day. One last thrust would get me over 7". 

Would also love to see a storm loop though. Where can you access? I've seen blizzards on YouTube and this one was fairly sizable. 

• Like 1

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic