• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Jan 31 - Feb 2 Storm

stormtracker

Decided to go ahead and start the thread today since we are now only 4 days out and moderators have requested it because the other thread is start to devolve a bit.   This is a storm mode thread, meaning:

Little to ZERO banter

Tantrums not tolerated 

If you see your posts disappearing, you should probably start making better posts

Moderators given the green light to bypass normal warning system and just suspend.

Other than that....have fun!

• Like 9
  • Thanks 27

3 minutes ago, MN Transplant said:

There is a vort that comes down from the Lake Winnipeg area that seems to play a very important role in the backside of the trough and slowing down the overall system.  We'll have to keep an eye on that.

Could you explain that?  Like is that a good thing or a bad thing?  I am guessing we would want the vort to do that so the SLP stalls as we saw today for a while down around HSE/ORF?

• stormtracker changed the title to Jan 31 - Feb 2 Storm
9 minutes ago, MN Transplant said:

There is a vort that comes down from the Lake Winnipeg area that seems to play a very important role in the backside of the trough and slowing down the overall system.  We'll have to keep an eye on that.

Ok, a few images.  12z yesterday, 00z last night, 12z today.  All for Monday 18z.  One of the most noticeable things here is that the vort behind the system helps to dig the trough and wrap up the 500 low in the two 12z runs, but it is too late to really help in last night's 00z run.

877100196_500hv.conusyesterday12z.thumb.png.86008fce933c83e922206c4ad8c9444d.png

1171917504_500hv.conus00z.thumb.png.e9a0d0e3f35d7befe06adc64e652c431.png

1243693865_500hv.conus12ztoday.thumb.png.d4f3eff2f0f1df6ceb01633034074796.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 9

Why isn't the precipitation rate much heavier? I would expect it to be snowing heavily, especially in the CCB, but we never seem to get above moderate snow. If we had a storm with this kind of duration with the kind of rates we received from previous storms, the totals would be obscene.

2 minutes ago, Scraff said:

Awesome run. Absolutely love it!  Question—so does anyone think there is even a bigger upside potential? What needs to happen? The low needs to shift East away from the mouth of the bay by 20 miles? 30 miles? Just curious. 

From the 500mb evolution, you can't ask for much more.  That late northern shortwave diving in and causing the stall is unusual and I'd normally be skeptical of it, but it's there on almost all the guidance...

It just comes down to where the surface low ends up and banding, etc.  I think the Euro has shown us that this has the potential for a 18"+ max stripe, question is where it ends up.  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Just now, WxUSAF said:

From the 500mb evolution, you can't ask for much more.  That late northern shortwave diving in and causing the stall is unusual and I'd normally be skeptical of it, but it's there on almost all the guidance...

It just comes down to where the surface low ends up and banding, etc.  I think the Euro has shown us that this has the potential for a 18"+ max stripe, question is where it ends up.  

Would the banding be super important to the thermals? The Euro uniformly has mid 30s while the costal cranks, and I'd imagine that works super well for a paste bomb where it dumps 2" QPF, but not for light rates. Just hoping that thermals ease a bit once we get to mesos range

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Cobalt said:

Would the banding be super important to the thermals? The Euro uniformly has mid 30s while the costal cranks, and I'd imagine that works super well for a paste bomb where it dumps 2" QPF, but not for light rates. Just hoping that thermals ease a bit once we get to mesos range

Yeah, it's a little odd.  I don't see why temps would go above freezing like that underneath the CCB.  You'll get northeasterly flow and there's plenty of cold air ahead of the storm.  I wouldn't worry about it at this point.

• Like 5

Just now, WxUSAF said:

Yeah, it's a little odd.  I don't see why temps would go above freezing like that underneath the CCB.  You'll get northeasterly flow and there's plenty of cold air ahead of the storm.  I wouldn't worry about it at this point.

The other quick-look thing on temps is that the Euro is keeping a 3-4 degree dew point depression at the height of the precipitation (so, 35/32 at DCA).  That's unlikely.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

1 minute ago, WxUSAF said:

If anything, just makes me thing the upside here for the I-95 crew and east remains intact from even the good stuff on that run. 

• Like 1

Didn't the GEFS sorta look like it was adjusting to the south and the transfer and it put our region into the Miller B no mans land when the transfer is too north? I suspect if the euro is more right then we may see the 0z gfs have a nice coastal hit for the region and hopefully only getting better from there as the euro hopefully holds

• Like 1

Just now, MN Transplant said:

The other quick-look thing on temps is that the Euro is keeping a 3-4 degree dew point depression at the height of the precipitation (so, 35/32 at DCA).  That's unlikely.

Good catch, yeah, you'd think we'd finally wet-bulb fully after 36hrs of precip:lol:

• Haha 2

• mappy locked and unpinned this topic