• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Major Nor'easter near blizzard (6"+ most of our area-best chance 20-30" north of I78 in ne PA, nw NJ, se NYS)-ice-rain-power outage NYC subforum late Sunday Jan 31-early Tue Feb 2.

wdrag

3 minutes ago, 495weatherguy said:

What are the odds that we have mixing issues on Long Island ?

Right now I’d say small odds but we have until tomorrow evening I’d say before we can lock in an all snow event. As we know it won’t take a huge change to bring the issues back. Before 12/17 there was a day or so head fake before the amped trends began and we got the nice event but inland got much more. This is a somewhat different setup and the confluence will only allow so much amping but you can never rule it out. 

1 minute ago, KeithB said:

With this Euro run....another 20-40 mile shift north and it's a pretty much and area wide jackpot. It's that close of a call....and with 72 hours from the event, that margin of error is easily in play!

Easily. I see all these detailed snow maps like its within 24 hours. First flakes don't fall in NYC for like 60 hours. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, SnoSki14 said:

The improvements in the PNA ridge should really make this pop.

Given the stalled out nature of this plus the deep flow of moisture someone's gonna score big. 

Small steps from the Euro are encouraging. I think you're right. Someone is going to get big totals. Right now the bullseye is near Monmouth, but that could easily shift with how far we're out.

4 minutes ago, kat5hurricane said:

12z was a big jump north and definitely a noticeable shift north at 18z. Still a sharp cutoff north of the city but I don't think the north shifts are done yet.

They probably aren’t I’d wager. Late north shifts happen almost every storm. Just hopefully it isn’t more than 50 miles or so, that way most of us can jackpot and the mix can stay offshore. 

3 minutes ago, jm1220 said:

They probably aren’t I’d wager. Late north shifts happen almost every storm. Just hopefully it isn’t more than 50 miles or so, that way most of us can jackpot and the mix can stay offshore. 

It’s unfortunately almost impossible for eastern LI to stay all snow and I84 corridor to get good snow but hopefully everyone gets in on this. 

Just now, HVSnowLover said:

It’s unfortunately almost impossible for eastern LI to stay all snow and I84 corridor to get good snow but hopefully everyone gets in on this. 

That is one crazy 850mb easterly moist flow coming in on this. This’ll be a very nice event where that can be maximized and the cold air stands firm. It’s not a bombing out low where there’ll be 3-5”/hr bands I think but we can rack up totals well over a foot over the duration it’ll last. I’d pay more attention to where that easterly jet gets than the snow maps necessarily. 

The Euro that run as is gets the mix line close to the twin forks for a time and seems like it changes SE MA over. Hopefully it doesn’t amp much more. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, jm1220 said:

That is one crazy 850mb easterly moist flow coming in on this. This’ll be a very nice event where that can be maximized and the cold air stands firm. It’s not a bombing out low where there’ll be 3-5”/hr bands I think but we can rack up totals well over a foot over the duration it’ll last. I’d pay more attention to where that easterly jet gets than the snow maps necessarily. 

The Euro that run as is gets the mix line close to the twin forks for a time and seems like it changes SE MA over. Hopefully it doesn’t amp much more. 

The flow becomes more NNE by the time the better snows get north of the city which is why I think the max benefits of that 850 easterly flow probably happen from around the city south 

I can't remember last time we had an all snow event on l.i.  And I am in the snow removal business! Every storm in last bunch of years, aside from 1 to 2 inch storms, seem to be snow, rain and sleet. A foot of plain snow would be great! Especially if it takes 30 hrs to fall, easier to keep up with. 

Really appreciate all the thought you all put into making this such a great resource for forecasts, knowledge and sometimes humor!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, SnowGoose69 said:

The flow becomes more NNE by the time the better snows get north of the city which is why I think the max benefits of that 850 easterly flow probably happen from around the city south 

Normally a NNE wind is better than E wind during coastal but in this case that’s not the case. 

• wdrag changed the title to Major Nor'easter near blizzard (6"+ most of our area-best chance 20-30" north of I78 in ne PA, nw NJ, se NYS)-ice-rain-power outage NYC subforum late Sunday Jan 31-early Tue Feb 2.
  • BxEngine unpinned this topic