• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Major Nor'easter near blizzard (6"+ most of our area-best chance 20-30" north of I78 in ne PA, nw NJ, se NYS)-ice-rain-power outage NYC subforum late Sunday Jan 31-early Tue Feb 2.

wdrag

8 minutes ago, SnoSki14 said:

It'll tick north to a point. There's a limit to how much further north it can get. 

The blocking/confluence is sharper than with the Dec storm. The western ridge axis is also further east so the storm won't hug the coastline.

60 hours before the december storm everybody thought there was no way in hell the low could come that far north and the axis of heaviest snow would be Binghamton to Albany. Obviously that is not going to happen this time but there is still a chance of it coming a little further N and W. 

6 minutes ago, jm1220 said:

For NYC and LI on the 0z NAM the max lift is just below the -12 to -18C layer so ratios could be decent but not maximized (on this run). For best ratios you want the lift centered between the -12 and -18. 

LGA.png

OKX.png

Also note in purple the freezing layers that could show what precip is left after 0z Tue could be sleet or sleet/rain mix (on this NAM run). Notice the small mid level warm layer and surface above freezing. Thankfully the crazy lift and heavy precip comes in before any warm layers arrive and the lift (and real precip) is gone by then. 

• Like 1

GFS looks quite nice to me for most, best is focused on the coastal area but it trended NW again. Has a crazy Monday afternoon/evening snow burst that comes through on the easterly 850mb jet for coastal areas. It peters out north of the city. We'll see how far north that crusher snow batch can make it on that easterly jet along with max ratios. 

Just now, wishcast_hater said:

Crush job tonight then disappointment tomorrow then tomorrow night hope returns. It always seems to play out this way. I just want some snow in the I84 neck of the woods. 

I think in the end you'll be fine (you're in Dutchess County N of I-84? If that far maybe/maybe not). Maybe not the highest amounts but good ratios will help and prolonged duration of lighter snow it looks like. These NW bumps seem to happen every time. I at least don't think you get shut out. 

Just now, jm1220 said:

I think in the end you'll be fine (you're in Dutchess County N of I-84? If that far maybe/maybe not). Maybe not the highest amounts but good ratios will help and prolonged duration of lighter snow it looks like. These NW bumps seem to happen every time. I at least don't think you get shut out. 

About 10 miles north of I84. Got 3 inches of snow from Monday’s storm. Hoping for a crush job so I don’t have to drive into the city as I do every day. 

1 minute ago, Metasequoia said:

Some of the models tonight almost make this storm look like Jan 2016 redux.

This isn't really like Jan 2016. That was more miller A and El Nino fueled-you could track the moisture from it right to the tropical Pacific. This is more miller B-coastal transfer from a primary. It won't make it a lousy event but spawned differently. 

• wdrag changed the title to Major Nor'easter near blizzard (6"+ most of our area-best chance 20-30" north of I78 in ne PA, nw NJ, se NYS)-ice-rain-power outage NYC subforum late Sunday Jan 31-early Tue Feb 2.
  • BxEngine unpinned this topic