SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Feb Long Range Discussion (Day 3 and beyond) - MERGED

WinterWxLuvr

3 minutes ago, WVclimo said:

I'd like to see us get back to maps with these symbols    :oldman:

image.thumb.jpeg.5fc1ae11b9c3066e46eb332eecdbab30.jpeg

Man it been a long time since I saw those in general meteorology 201, lol.  Is there a key.  What is the upside down Star Trek  thingy, #18?  Is that the snow anus symbol?  Sorry belongs in banter, to keep this relevant, long range looks Icy...maybe?  But probably not.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, GATECH said:

Man it been a long time since I saw those in general meteorology 201, lol.  Is there a key.  What is the upside down Star Trek  thingy, #18?  Is that the snow anus symbol?  Sorry belongs in banter, to keep this relevant, long range looks Icy...maybe?  But probably not.

Could be like #67!!!

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, GATECH said:

Man, if you see 19, brace yourself.  Heavy, heavy one lane bridges.   OLB+++

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

9 minutes ago, GATECH said:

There's a chart with descriptions here:   https://www.dtn.com/the-power-of-weather-symbols/

#18 means a squall within sight in the last hour, lol.  Looks like we may being seeing a lot of #67 being reported area-wide this coming week.

• Like 1

Just now, dsnowman said:

The 6z GFS is interesting, there is more dig to the trough which creates more spacing between the Sun and Mon waves and allows the Mon wave to hug the coast a little more as it heads our way. Is this the start of something.

A lot has changed since 6z.  We still fail but in new ways.  

2 hours ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

We’ve been in the game. But we are the good kid the coach keeps but the closest he ever gets to any real game action is passing the water bottles down to the kids who are playing while he cheers from the end of the bench.

More like the third string left guard on his senior night who is told by his coach that'll he'll play a series of downs in the 4th quarter, but when the 4th quarter rolls around the coach says "sorry kid, we actually have to try to win this game and your third string, so I would have to fire myself if I put you in now."

Then the coach turns to your relatives in the stands who came to see you play, and gives them the middle finger.

• Haha 6

3 minutes ago, Ji said:
4 minutes ago, Wentzadelphia said:
Thursday ticked colder on eps
5FBC7159-3A5F-467E-B0F3-92EF7B24C9D3.thumb.png.6ada082e371112285fd636860e3a6cab.png

Nice. Feels like our last chance:(

You know it has that depressing end of winter feel when a pattern breaks down, but when you take a step back you realize, hell, the end of the gfs run doesn’t even take us to March 1. With all the blocking this year who says we don’t have one more week or so of a decent pattern to work with in March.

Imo if you want a colder Thursday system root for Tuesday to be as warm and rainy as possible Ha. The models are seemingly trending to slow down the exit of the tpv more and more. This leads to more phasing and boosts the ridge. While that hurts Tuesday it could help Thursday. This is interesting to me. The cmc, which has lead the way so far with not booting the tpv out barely has it moving on its 18z run. This looks like it would set a decent stage for Thursday but idk...and yes there is an 18z CMC (not rgem), but for some reason only this site has it

C014B71C-D7A3-464E-872E-3D07F4F59753.gif

33 minutes ago, Wentzadelphia said:

Thursday ticked colder on eps

5FBC7159-3A5F-467E-B0F3-92EF7B24C9D3.png

Thursday, with the spacing after Tuesday, ends up the setup we thought we had for Tuesday. But Tuesday would have been even better with a fresher Arctic airmass and a TPV pressing over the top. That’s why I was so optimistic. But the waves Saturday to Tuesday all strung out into one continuous wave train that doesn’t allow the boundary to press east.  Thursday could work but it’s a shame, Tuesday would have been an even better setup had the Sunday/Monday wave not popped up. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Wentzadelphia said:

Imo if you want a colder Thursday system root for Tuesday to be as warm and rainy as possible Ha. The models are seemingly trending to slow down the exit of the tpv more and more. This leads to more phasing and boosts the ridge. While that hurts Tuesday it could help Thursday. This is interesting to me. The cmc, which has lead the way so far with not booting the tpv out barely has it moving on its 18z run. This looks like it would set a decent stage for Thursday but idk...and yes there is an 18z CMC (not rgem), but for some reason only this site has it

C014B71C-D7A3-464E-872E-3D07F4F59753.gif

Yea but I don’t want to lose my snowpack lol. 

• Like 2