Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Feb Long Range Discussion (Day 3 and beyond) - MERGED

WinterWxLuvr

41 minutes ago, BristowWx said:

We need the AO to turn positive.  Something we haven’t had all winter.  That’s the money pattern

EURO is trying hard to bring some snow with Thursdays mess. But I'm all for reshuffling the deck because this pattern isn't getting it done. Just maybe we can get lucky. 

Just now, CAPE said:

I think we are right in the middle of our epic period now.

The level of epicness is difficult to put into words.

I’ll try... not great but wayyy better than last year. At least Utah isn’t the closest location to find snow to snowboard on.

2 minutes ago, chris21 said:

I’ll try... not great but wayyy better than last year. At least Utah isn’t the closest location to find snow to snowboard on.

Yeah its all relative. I broke into double digits so hard to complain. This week looks meh for most of us though outside of some freezing rain chances. Looked more promising a week or so ago. The NW crew should be more interested.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, CAPE said:

Yeah its all relative. I broke into double digits so hard to complain. This week looks meh for most of us though outside of some freezing rain chances. Looked more promising a week or so ago. The NW crew should be more interested.

You still got that eps probability map that showed about a 215% chance of getting more than 15”?

1 hour ago, Wonderdog said:

EURO is trying hard to bring some snow with Thursdays mess. But I'm all for reshuffling the deck because this pattern isn't getting it done. Just maybe we can get lucky. 

The deck was already reshuffled when the block retrograded too far west.  We need the NAO to tank again. The pac isn’t changing.  And I don’t mean the Nina. The PAC pattern has been virtually the same for 3+ years now and 2 of those were ninos. This is the pac base state. We need other things to mitigate it. It’s not magically going away. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

The deck was already reshuffled when the block retrograded too far west.  We need the NAO to tank again. The pac isn’t changing.  And I don’t mean the Nina. The PAC pattern has been virtually the same for 3+ years now and 2 of those were ninos. This is the pac base state. We need other things to mitigate it. It’s not magically going away. 

Last nights ensembles look to bring back a -NAO by the last week of February. Other teleconnections don't look great but by that time of the year a-NAO is the most important and override the other indices. Maybe some hints of a -EPO in about 12 days. Maybe we get another round of decent looks. With shortening wavelengths we could be in business.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, CAPE said:

You can mostly thank the EPAC for the cold dump out west. Nina says hiii.

Right now there is an Aleutian low, trough east of Hawaii, and a ridge in AK. The pac does not look like a Nina config to me.   I think the block retrograding too far was the biggest problem. Pulled the TPV west and opened the door for a ridge in the SE. The pac isn’t great but it’s not a dumpster fire it’s kinda meh. Had the Atlantic side not broken down we would be good.