• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January Storm Term Threat Discussions (Day 3 - Day 7)

WxUSAF

Biggest concern I have with the GFS is that the primary low from Monday hangs around in PA which prevents any cold from draining into our area. There's really no CAD ahead of the system. So we rely on dynamic cooling as the low bombs out. Canadian looks like it is weaker and faster with the early week system and has more of a classic CAD setup. Big differences apparent at 96 hrs.

• Thanks 4

4 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

You know...its really frustrating when the long range tracking never pays off like lately...and then it makes the mid and short range tracking stressful because were so desperate to get snow that when things go wrong its gut wrenching.  In a way the long range pattern tracking is less stressful.  There is less pain run to run if a little detail goes one way or the other.  Even this pattern...its gone EXACTLY the way I thought from weeks ago...but now some really subtle discreet details that you can't possibly see or worry about from 2 weeks away will determine if the foot of snow ends up being in PA or DC or Richmond.  And now those details start to matter a lot and drive us crazy every run.  

You’ve been honking about the 1/28 time period for a while, so all the credit in the world to you.  

Gotta admit that those early rain panels scared me.  

• Like 1

Just now, GEOS5ftw said:

Biggest concern I have with the GFS is that the primary low from Monday hangs around in PA which prevents any cold from draining into our area. There's really no CAD ahead of the system. So we rely on dynamic cooling as the low bombs out. Canadian looks like it is weaker and faster with the early week system and has more of a classic CAD setup. Big differences apparent at 96 hrs.

We don’t want to hear why that whacky azz GFS solution is wrong.  

We just want to hear how we can get 20” of snow! ;) 

21 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

Again...I think we are very possibly in the very very narrow "sweet spot" for this one.   But this illustrates my point...we needed a north adjustment...but if you payed attention to the whole setup we really didnt have a lot of wiggle room with the thermal boundary to begin with.  So we get a north adjustment and suddenly rain becomes an issue again.  No margin for error either way.  Luckly I think we might be in the razor thin "win" zone for this one.  But damnit it can't keep being this difficult or we are rarely ever going to win.  

Pretty textbook HP there though. If that is accurate I won't worry about temps at all. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

It’s a razor thin line guys. The thermals are iffy. There’s just no cold on this side of the globe. 

Sorry, couldn’t resist

Sorry I was past out during the earlier mega-weenieness. I’m late to the game, but how are the soil temps? :P

• Haha 2