• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
January Storm Term Threat Discussions (Day 3 - Day 7)

WxUSAF

2 minutes ago, Ji said:

It's not even close. Its a horrific run.

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk

NO...do you remember last nights run?  That was a horrific run.   If this showed a central NC hit right now...that would be a problem we probably can say we wont recover from.  Look at the track of the h5 feature.  Look at the track of the precip before it dies during the "transfer" because the system is too weak to initiate a healthy secondary in time.  Its heading right for us.  The only adjustment we need here is more amplified with the wave and we have a storm.  Don't need a track adjustment of the major feature.  Don't need some major thermal changes.  We just need one thing...and maybe we don't get the GFS op idea...but if the euro is just slightly more amplified we at least get a nice snow event.  

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

Just now, Deck Pic said:

GFS gives us 50x more snow than the euro.  I like the optimism, but toss the GFS.

yea no that GFS run was fun but I think most of us know that's a max potential only if all the stars aligned thing.  I would be happy if we could just compromise...get the euro to amp up just a little...and get a nice simple snow event across the area out of this.  

• Like 4

NO...do you remember last nights run?  That was a horrific run.   If this showed a central NC hit right now...that would be a problem we probably can say we wont recover from.  Look at the track of the h5 feature.  Look at the track of the precip before it dies during the "transfer" because the system is too weak to initiate a healthy secondary in time.  Its heading right for us.  The only adjustment we need here is more amplified with the wave and we have a storm.  Don't need a track adjustment of the major feature.  Don't need some major thermal changes.  We just need one thing...and maybe we don't get the GFS op idea...but if the euro is just slightly more amplified we at least get a nice snow event.  
I wasn't worried about a north shift. .I was worried how a model with such high resolution is just going to create a strong shortwave that amplifies in 60 hours when it's not showing it now. A model that has a bias of overamping nonetheless

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

yea no that GFS run was fun but I think most of us know that's a max potential only if all the stars aligned thing.  I would be happy if we could just compromise...get the euro to amp up just a little...and get a nice simple snow event across the area out of this.  

It's only Friday...I'm going to focus on Storm 1, and let the models sort Storm 2 out over the weekend...

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Deck Pic said:

yeah..there's really no silver lining....this run is a total dumpster fire for the 2nd event.  At least the first event looks more promising

It's not THAT far off if you look at more then just the verbatim surface results.  The track of the h5 feature is perfect...we just need it to be more amplified and suddenly this turns into a nice little snow event with everything else being the same.  It's not a huge adjustment needed to see a better outcome from the euro progression.  Maybe we dont get the more amplified wave...but there is no HUGE red flag this time that we can't.  Its not like some of the recent examples we tried to will a storm up when there was some death vortex over Maine that we knew was never going to allow a wave to amplify or some wave over the lakes to wreck the flow.  All we need here is one thing...for the wave to be more amplified as it ejects out west.  

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, SnowLover22 said:

500hv.conus.thumb.png.2be69796c1d699aa6114bc3cbc45d786.png

I wish my drawing would be better. The problem with the euro is that the best lift is too far south to benefit the DC area and points north. Ideally, you want the PVA hence the best lift to be over the DC and points north. Move that PVA 50-100 northwest would allow you to see a better precipitation field over DC. The next image will be in the following post since attachment restrictions.

It will not allow me to post another attachment. I will have to clear later. So to finish up this post, I was going to show the gfs which clearly shows the PVA being NW of the euro which allows for the best precipitation to be over the DC area and points northwest. 

It will not allow me to post another attachment. I will have to clear later. So to finish up this post, I was going to show the gfs which clearly shows the PVA being NW of the euro which allows for the best precipitation to be over the DC area and points northwest. 
I don't care if the euro was 100 miles north..there wasn't even a storm.

EURO is not locking into a solution 5 days out.  For illustrative purposes, look at Monday’s event OZ today compared to last night  It is struggling like the other models even at 2 days out.
11E6254C-5D97-4E0D-BB39-27910BC43477.thumb.png.6efaf8d20ebd3277038b77b0c5d3dffc.png
E1904223-94D0-41CE-8A1F-76FCD6928A63.thumb.png.778cceebaa4c30ccd5729e1538ac4d51.png
This is a completely different event. We all expected storm 1 to verify south At some point

4 minutes ago, Ji said:

I wasn't worried about a north shift. .I was worried how a model with such high resolution is just going to create a strong shortwave that amplifies in 60 hours when it's not showing it now. A model that has a bias of overamping nonetheless

Both the GFS and Euro are almost identical at 60 hours as the system crashes into CA.  They both have the wave.  But the GFS brings it across the southwest and ejects stronger...the euro de-amplifies it some...but its still healthy enough ejecting from the mountains...but for whatever reason...and I can't see HUGE differences in the flow around it to easily account, yes I can see how the flow to the northeast is compressing it but that is there on the GFS too and I am not sure that should be impacting the wave as early on as the euro starts to weaken it...the euro weakens and shears the wave out as it comes across and the GFS amplifies it.  But its not like we need the euro to conjure up a wave...its there, and its healthy enough to begin with...just needs to amplify it coming across instead of weakening it.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

We haven't even had a typical la nina pattern though.  It's been more like a super nino pattern honestly.  

Yes..many similarities, but the PAC is kind of bootleg....We need a low anomaly off the northwest coast to really force a split flow...Plus our source regions are warm....It's a pretty tenuous pattern...but good enough to time something...

• Like 1

Just now, Deck Pic said:

Yes..many similarities, but the PAC is kind of bootleg....We need a low anomaly off the northwest coast to really force a split flow...Plus our source regions are warm....It's a pretty tenuous pattern...but good enough to time something...

I posted earlier that I think our biggest issue is the incredibly warm base state of N America.  The longwave pattern is pretty good to get these tantalizing threats but with little true deep cold airmass around...we need so much suppression to keep warmth from surging north of us ahead of any wave...that it makes it difficult to get anything to amplify when we are "cold enough".  When the flow relaxes enough to allow a system to amplify we get rain...even from a pretty good track.  

• Like 1