Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Winter Banter and General Disco 2

dendrite

2 minutes ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

Yeah, this current surge is unsustainable.  It'll inevitable come to end when people stop buying properties at these insane levels or we have a market correction.    Rates don't seem to be going up any time soon as there is just so much helicopter money out there propping the economy up.  The scope of the projects we're working on go from small opening up of walls to combine rooms all the way up to tear down new construction homes.  We  actually in the process of eliciting bids to do an addition of our own.  It's too costly to move right now and we have the equity to absorb to cost of a new addition without hurting us financially and we also feel we're going to be here for the foreseeable future.  We also have a pool going in sometime in early June so we can enjoy that.  Can't complain other then the fact that I'm working 7 days a week to the tune of 80 hours, which leaves little time for anything else.

When are we invited?

https://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live/video/schmitts-gay/3505912

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

We were talking about this property last night.  1mil in Raynham.  Beautiful home/street.  

https://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/129-Brook-St_Raynham_MA_02767_M40565-93814

Sweet house and nice plot....I think that house would own me though instead of me owning the house. :lol:

• Haha 1

Some realtors I talk to are telling me they're getting 50 offers on a house they just listed. Im kicking myself because I knew the bottom was near in 2010 and I should have liquidated some stocks and bought a couple three deckers in Worcester. Almost pulled the trigger but didn't. I know a guy who bought 12 back then and can retire if he wanted but just keeps collecting oodles of rent money every month.

9 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

What sort of annual income does a family need to be able to legitamately afford a $500-600k house?  I'm not even close.

Assuming fixed 30 year interest rates remain near 3%, prob a household income around 150k before taxes if you want to keep your mortgage below 25% of your monthly income. But that income threshold can vary depending on how much other debt/expenses you have....for a couple around 30 years old and also each paying 500-700 bucks per month in student loan debt, they couldn't afford it responsibly at 150k combined unless they went all Dave Ramsey on the rest of their budget....they'd prob need another 20-25k per year.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

What sort of annual income does a family need to be able to legitamately afford a $500-600k house?  I'm not even close.

And if you’re single and in your 20s thinking about buying around here you’re really fooked. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

A lot. Lol.

There is a ton that goes into finding what you can afford though. It depends on what you owe for debt, what kind of debt etc etc.

When we got ours, they made us pay some of our debt down with what we were going to use for a down payment. So we put less down; but our debt was less; so we can could finance more 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

A lot. Lol.

There is a ton that goes into finding what you can afford though. It depends on what you owe for debt, what kind of debt etc etc.

When we got ours, they made us pay some of our debt down with what we were going to use for a down payment. So we put less down; but our debt was less; so we can could finance more 

Yeah.  We bought our house way back in 1998. Its value has nearly tripled since then (even with the cost of an addition we put in) . So much cheaper then compared to our income.  First timers are in for a heavy lift in eastern Mass

38 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

Without  someone having a house to sell or someone who  has  saved a lot for a down payment it is likely the offer wouldn't even be considered.  And the credit score(s) will have to be above 750.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

$175k annual income depending upon expenses is what you'd expect to need to make.

I sit back and wonder what jobs people have that have them in the million dollar plus homes we toss out of our office like hot cakes.  

At our own home, we wouldn't list for anything less then $450K right now.  And we're looking at putting on a $100-125K addition.  It won't comp 100% of that cost  but we could easily add an additional $50-60K on that $460k price if we wanted to sell after.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

$175k annual income depending upon expenses is what you'd expect to need to make.

I sit back and wonder what jobs people have that have them in the million dollar plus homes we toss out of our office like hot cakes.  

At our own home, we wouldn't list for anything less then $450K right now.  And we're looking at putting on a $100-125K addition.  It won't comp 100% of that cost  but we could easily add an additional $50-60K on that $460k price if we wanted to sell after.

Wanna build a garage and breezeway in Weymouth? :lol:  

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

Seriously....

Though I've known a lot of people who buy houses a bit our of their income range. They can technically "afford" it, but it's not smart financial planning. Barely scraping by each month. A lot of people do that. The mortgage brokers will finance you up to like 43% of your monthly income. When we were first getting pre-approved years ago and we made a lot less than we do now, I couldn't believe when they were like "yeah, we've pre-approved you up to 500k"....I was like "why in the hell would we take out a 500k loan we can't afford?"......but they only look at pure debt and not recurring large expenses like childcare, etc.

• Like 3

I was looking at Zillow the other day and the prices are obscene, especially close to Boston. A bit further out they’re more reasonable, but the immediate Boston metro has to be full of millionaires with plenty of cash to throw around because there’s no other way that real estate prices would be where they are.

• Like 1

Just now, CoastalWx said:

Wanna build a garage and breezeway in Weymouth? :lol:  

I design 'em.  We've done a few projects in Wemouth.  I've seen your house.  Looks like a garage would work on that driveway side.  May need zoning approval if its too close to setbacks and you also have some ledge there which would be fun for an excavator.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ORH_wxman said:

Seriously....

Though I've known a lot of people who buy houses a bit our of their income range. They can technically "afford" it, but it's not smart financial planning. Barely scraping by each month. A lot of people do that. The mortgage brokers will finance you up to like 43% of your monthly income. When we were first getting pre-approved years ago and we made a lot less than we do now, I couldn't believe when they were like "yeah, we've pre-approved you up to 500k"....I was like "why in the hell would we take out a 500k loan we can't afford?"......but they only look at pure debt and not recurring large expenses like childcare, etc.

That's how so many got in trouble, but people need to do a budget. These people aren't doing the homework for you. You hear of these stories of people losing homes, but yet they didn't do a realistic budget out. 

Just now, Baroclinic Zone said:

I design 'em.  We've done a few projects in Wemouth.  I've seen your house.  Looks like a garage would work on that driveway side.  May need zoning approval if its too close to setbacks and you also have some ledge there which would be fun for an excavator.

You know my address? :lol:    We were thinking of it, but they layout is not easy.

• Haha 1

The real estate market is nuts in Boston.  My sister bought a 1920's house in Brookline that was converted to 2 condos back in 2007 for 800k. Its worth 1.6 million now. She is getting $6250 a month for the 2400 sq ft and $3750 for the 1400 sqft one. She said when she listed one last year the amount of applications she got was unreal. 

5 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

I've wondered the same regarding house affordability. But then you find out some bought their mega house and live check to check and a bit over their heads. My house isn't a dream house, but we put some money into it, and luckily we live comfortably. 

This.  If you can do it, buy within your means and avoid the stresses of living paycheck to paycheck.  

17 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

That's how so many got in trouble, but people need to do a budget. These people aren't doing the homework for you. You hear of these stories of people losing homes, but yet they didn't do a realistic budget out. 

And the mortgage brokers don't give a shit, they just want the commission, then when the SHTF they blame the appraisers.

1 minute ago, NorEastermass128 said:

This.  If you can do it, buy within your means and avoid the stresses of living paycheck to paycheck.  

I'm just amazed how it seems very few do a thorough budget. I included things like oh shit money and some play money too.  When you do that, that home in Weston turns into a home in Weymouth. LOL. 

• Haha 1