Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Dec 16-17 obs/nowcast thread

ORH_wxman

Just now, Sn0waddict said:

Might be some sleet in Greenwich per CC. Unlike most storms it’s actually random patches of sleet that eventually wash away.  Odd storm. 

I checked what the HRRR on the actual noaa site was doing with the ptype algorithm, and it definitely mixes in sleet along the coast but it always a snow sleet mix. I think TTs radar graphics dont know how to handle that so they call it sleet.

12 minutes ago, JC-CT said:

I checked what the HRRR on the actual noaa site was doing with the ptype algorithm, and it definitely mixes in sleet along the coast but it always a snow sleet mix. I think TTs radar graphics dont know how to handle that so they call it sleet.

Ya I noticed TT had it as all sleet and was rather surprised by that, the soundings looked fine. 

9 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

This is as healthy as it gets for banding... Central PA.  State College area.

Has to be widespread 2-3"/hr.  Maybe 4"/hr in the heaviest sustained echoes? That is an incredible signal. 

Dec_16_PennState.gif.953df89ab801e1470dfb9f4f6110b362.gif

Yea, that's insane out there. Feels like it's been a long time since State College area has had a big hit.

Supposedly a really bad accident on I-80 in PA too..like 50 cars or something.

2 minutes ago, MRVexpat said:

Up to 29 in Cambridgeport. No flakes yet. Just cracked the first beer and have the Liverpool Tottenham game recorded to keep me occupied until the heavies move in....we'll see how late I can make it. 

I lived in Cambridgeport (Pearl Street) in  the 1975-76 winter.  Right down the street from TT the Bears Place.   Photodocumented a nice event in March of 1976.  Slides though and it would be time consuming to scan and digitize.

• Like 1