SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
December 16-17, 2020 Winter Storm Obs/Nowcasting

WxUSAF

25 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

Gun to head we get 3" I say.  

1 minute ago, Scraff said:

That would honestly work at this point! I’ll set the bar there. :)

My bar is also set at 3"  Hmmmmm?  What was that?  Yes, I'll have the same as you guys.  Adding up the two storms I will have 3" rain.  Is your total in rain too?  

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, DDweatherman said:

So, what do we look for now for some last minute respite? 

Well...I think the inside track is becoming pretty locked in.  But there have been some developments with a better H85 and H7 pass that are causing a more tightly wound thermal gradient with this storm and could also make the possibility of some banding as the low departs real.   If we were to get the west trend of the low to stop and perhaps adjust just a slight bit back east...but keep those factors...some places could still do well.  It's possible.  But one warning...the west trend of the low track continued with 12z guidance.  And the mitigating factors I listed above are maxed out.  For example..on the euro there is a time about 3z when the low is literally on the east side of Baltimore and yet its snowing here.  A couple hours later that snow rotates through the north side of Baltimore with the low over NE MD.  But if that track adjusts any further west...well nothing else is going to matter...you aren't going to get snow if you are UNDER the low or east of it.  So we need both the better mid level depiction of the 12z guidance...but also we absolutely NEED the west trend of the low track to stop NOW.  Get a slight east bump in final track, which is very possible...trends don't always continue right to the end...at some point guidance could pick up on reality...and maybe even over amplify some.  Get that east adjustment by 50 miles and keep the better mid level look and maybe places closer to the city still reach warning criteria.  

2 hours ago, wxbeaz said:

you're analysis is always impeccable. are you saying this is a fail?

Southeast of DC yes...this just isnt the right setup and I don't see anything that saves them.  For 95...its getting tough but there is still an outside chance if those things I said above break right...namely we get a slight east adjustment to the track AND the better mid levels.  For people NW of the fall line...very much still in the game for a decent event so long as expectations have be reset.  Those crazy numbers we were throwing around 48 hours ago are gone.  The track is just too far west for that...but we could still pull out a decent event if things break our way.  But like I said above...its troubling that we continue to see a west shift every run on the guidance and we are completely out of any breathing room now.  IF there is any further west adjustment then its a fail for everyone east of the blue ridge and south of PA.  

• Like 1

Just now, D-Train said:

When would we expect LWX to update their Warnings/Watches and the maps? Surprising that info is still up with the latest model runs.

They updated the snow maps a little bit ago...like 1030 am. They downgraded totals from pervious map. Next full update is within the hour. So maybe another update then.

6 minutes ago, Winter Wizard said:

41/22 in Annapolis.

Decided I'm going to head back to State College for this storm - hoping they finally get crushed after being fringed so many times this decade. 

It has been an incredible drought for them out there. Looks like a great spot for this one though.

1 minute ago, clskinsfan said:

It has been an incredible drought for them out there. Looks like a great spot for this one though.

Didn't they fare rather well in the March 2017 storm? This storm feels like it has an uncanny resemblance to that one. In fact our airmass is probably way worse, but of course that's a March storm rather than mid December. 

29 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

I am going to pay attention to the dews tomorrow morning. The lower the better.

HRRR (still out of its wheelhouse) gets DPs across the 81 corridor into the low/mid 20s.  We’ll see how that trends as we get closer to game time.  

I’m pretty excited about the Euro for the western areas...it’s been the best look so far out here.  Almost 1.6” QPF, all snow.  Hope it holds for us.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Flying Bouncy House said:

Never according to wxtrix.  

If LWX is going to update, they will do it in the afternoon package (3pm or so). I imagine areas under Watches right now will go to advisories later tonight. They do not update based on model runs and their schedules. NWS Offices update at certain times every day. :) 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, clskinsfan said:

Yup, they haven't had over a foot of snow since February 2010 - always stuck too far northwest for the Nor'easters that crushed I-95. But climo had to win out eventually.

You should be in a pretty good spot out in Winchester too. 

3 minutes ago, Cobalt said:

Didn't they fare rather well in the March 2017 storm? This storm feels like it has an uncanny resemblance to that one. In fact our airmass is probably way worse, but of course that's a March storm rather than mid December. 

We got 10.1". Solid but pales in comparison to NEPA. November 2018 was better with 11.5". 

• Like 2

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic