Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December Banter 2020

George BM

Just now, snowfan said:

Requesting board thoughts on the following choices. Im in the market for a 2 in 1 laptop.

Dell XPS 13

Macbook Air

HP Envy

Lenovo yoga c740 or c940

Anyone have any of the above?

mr map has a macbook air and loves it. kiddo has an older version she uses for school. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, snowfan said:

Requesting board thoughts on the following choices. Im in the market for a 2 in 1 laptop.

Dell XPS 13

Macbook Air

HP Envy

Lenovo yoga c740 or c940

New M1 MacBook Airs are sick....the apple-designed chips have made them super fast.  I'm about to purchase one after doing some research.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, MillvilleWx said:

He doesn't. That's why the Euro/GFS combo is still my top choice for outside 36 hrs in forecasting. They each have their biases, but GFS has numerically performed very well over the past 6 months. 

It handled several land falling  tropical systems quite well. 

• Like 1

So we literally went from feeling pretty ok this morning for the most part with the exception of H20 and then the early models started coming in and one or two of you yelled fire in the crowded theater and now after the euro and the NOAA map most are ok again with the exception H20. It sort of reminds me when I was in elementary school and I stood in line for the small pox shot from that big ass machine...started crying and then they gave me my sugar cube with my polio vaccine and all was good in the world again. So basically i'm saying we won't get small pox and polio after todays runs so that's a positive at least.

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, leesburg 04 said:

So we literally went from feeling pretty ok this morning for the most part with the exception of H20 and then the early models started coming in and one or two of you yelled fire in the crowded theater and now after the euro and the NOAA map most are ok again with the exception H20. It sort of reminds me when I was in elementary school and I stood in line for the small pox shot from that big ass machine...started crying and then they gave me my sugar cube with my polio vaccine and all was good in the world again. So basically i'm saying we won't get small pox and polio after todays runs so that's a positive at least.

Except for me. These runs today gave me smallpox and polio

• Sad 1

22 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

First snow day for the kids 

5A8BBF1E-CAFC-4359-99D0-5CF0440C9080.thumb.jpeg.bf410041585c23f90815c053626e1cff.jpeg 
26228D95-375E-46D8-9C31-C4101856E23F.thumb.jpeg.4ba3ef9153011196f956ef5ddcd03b20.jpeg

That's Awesome!  How are the rods up your way?  Carroll County sent the in-person students home 1 hour early today, which also cancelled all after school activities.  High School basketball tryouts were effectively cancelled and I have 2 grumpy teenagers. 

8 minutes ago, toolsheds said:

That's Awesome!  How are the rods up your way?  Carroll County sent the in-person students home 1 hour early today, which also cancelled all after school activities.  High School basketball tryouts were effectively cancelled and I have 2 grumpy teenagers. 

Roads are fine. My driveway did cover during the last very heavy burst where rates were like 2”/hr for a time but melted immediately after. And I’m close to the highest spot in the county. 

1 hour ago, snowfan said:

Dell XPS 13

Macbook Air

HP Envy

Lenovo yoga c740 or c940

i went through the same thing last year and ended up with the c940 (14").  so far, so good.  i went with that because i liked the keyboard and soundbar.  if i have any complaint it's that i'd prefer it to be a 16:10 aspect ratio instead of 16:9.  it's also kinda awkward when it's folded, but i almost never use it for that.  tent mode is nice, too.  

fyi, macbook air isn't a 2 in 1 and it's one of the reasons i didn't go with it.  i wanted the versatility.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, HighStakes said:

@MillvilleWx You are killing it. Great job on analysis.

Thanks! I've been trying to look at everything closely. I'm interested in the mesoscale aspect this storm. It's going to be interesting between 21z Wed and 09z Thu. NAM Nest was a bit overamped I feel, but it's got the general idea right. Once the storm gets to DE lat, it could be an all out beatdown for some in the sub. 

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, ers-wxman1 said:

Ok I’ve had just about enough posting in this place. No wonder you can’t retain any real meteorologists here.

You said the NAM is a disaster and then proceeded to analyze it. Why? What good does it do to provide any sort of real analysis on a run of a model that sucks at range?

My response was in jest, but with a bit of a dig for the analysis you provided without qualifying it at all by saying it's just the NAM and is among the least likely of solutions to play out.

11 minutes ago, DDweatherman said:

What is the debate at hand? You're making statements about the 18z NAM in specific. Yes you received a snarky response, but you and I both know its on the edges of the model envelope and we're not going to take it verbatim. If it verifies it would be a big score relative to where the other Op's have things at the moment. 

A little bit of a snarky response, but more in jest, as noted above.

5 minutes ago, ravensrule said:

Again we all appreciate your excellent thoughts but to use the NAM as gospel 48 hours out isn't the best idea. Please keep posting and ignore the background noise. 

I appreciate the input of a pro as much as anyone, but I can't help but feel that an analysis of the NAM at range by a pro was a *wee bit* of a bad faith post.

4 hours ago, mattie g said:

I'm generally a rational adult who takes things in stride, but getting screwed out of snow pisses me off. I'm sure the same goes for many others (I mean...look at H2O - dude about lost it earlier :lol:). Folks come here to congregate, to revel in awesome weather together, and sometimes to vent their disappointment. I think letting them do that to some degree without having snarky remarks thrown at them should be permitted.

what were you saying about snarky comments :whistle:

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, mattie g said:

You said the NAM is a disaster and then proceeded to analyze it. Why? What good does it do to provide any sort of real analysis on a run of a model that sucks at range?

My response was in jest, but with a bit of a dig for the analysis you provided without qualifying it at all by saying it's just the NAM and is among the least likely of solutions to play out.

I appreciate the input of a pro as much as anyone, but I can't help but feel that an analysis of the NAM at range by a pro was a *wee bit* of a bad faith post.

Everyone here has different personalities so it's hard not to get into disputes sometimes. I also think internet boards are terrible at getting to know the real person, hence the reason this is the only board i'm on since i have an extremely unhealthy obsession with snow. 

1 minute ago, ravensrule said:

Everyone here has different personalities so it's hard not to get into disputes sometimes. I also think internet boards are terrible at getting to know the real person, hence the reason this is the only board i'm on since i have an extremely unhealthy obsession with snow. 

...and something else...

• Haha 1

38 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

Roads are fine. My driveway did cover during the last very heavy burst where rates were like 2”/hr for a time but melted immediately after. And I’m close to the highest spot in the county. 

You have a nice view up there.  My sister built on my parent's lot last year off Bachman Road down the hill from you.  I grew up on Main St. so I had to drive to see any decent view. . 

10 minutes ago, mattie g said:

If the NAM is “out of range” and mauls the area with snow it’s hugged and adored by all and they can’t wait for the next run, much the same over the weekend with the GFS and Euro giving 15-20 inches “out of range” at day 5 with 90 pages of comments. When the NAM is unfavorable and analyzed its bad, out of range and nobody wants to see it or hear about it. 

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic