Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December Banter 2020

George BM

15 minutes ago, CAPE said:

Cheer up buttercups. Jayyy is getting his foot of snow.

I feel like it's been a long time since we've had a really big forum divider - one that drops 10"+ on places within 20 miles north and west of the cities and a slushy inch or two (and/or rain) cities and east. I'm not just talking about HighStakes and PSU and the Shenandoah folks getting hit and everyone else fighting for scraps - I mean like the smash zone being painfully close to the cities.

This looks to be the one to break that streak.

15 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

5 days out: everyone sets unreasonable lower bound expectations based on the best model run

2 days out: everyone jumps when they realize it’s not going to be a HECS for them 

1 day out: most people accept reality and realize yes, it’s going to snow

4-8 hours out: radar hallucinations

1 day after: everyone’s happy and can’t wait to get the next storm 

every. Single. Time.

Not so sure about the bolded part, but everything else...I think I'm with you.

• Haha 1

Just now, H2O said:

i remember that in the superstorm of 93 ATL got more snow than DC

There we go!  I like the optimism!  Yeah superstorm 93 was sweet.  Looking back I am pretty grateful to have witnessed the storms I have, superstorm 93 in Atl, Jan 25 2000, PD2, 2009-2010, 2016 all here, pretty good run.  Doesn’t even count the monsters from when I lived in Denver from my early childhood, some 4 ft monsters out there...

• Like 1

Just now, H2O said:

I'm actually really happy how my map turned out.  Usually its a visual hot mess but this time I think I honed in on my talent.  I got the shading in there a LOT better.  I'll defer to @mappy for a fair and balanced critique 

nice use of colors, good descriptions, very clear where everyone falls. your digitizing skills could use a little refining, some rough edges but all in all not bad. 9/10

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, mappy said:

nice use of colors, good descriptions, very clear where everyone falls. your digitizing skills could use a little refining, some rough edges but all in all not bad. 9/10

I went sharpie marker instead of caligraphy tip because thats getting too foo-foo.  But yes, i could have spent more time getting the details a bit better since I don't have any snow to track.  I have only QPF now.

5 minutes ago, mattie g said:

I feel like it's been a long time since we've had a really big forum divider - one that drops 10"+ on places within 20 miles north and west of the cities and a slushy inch or two (and/or rain) cities and east. I'm not just talking about HighStakes and PSU and the Shenandoah folks getting hit and everyone else fighting for scraps - I mean like the smash zone being painfully close to the cities.

This looks to be the one to break that streak.

Yeah we all sucked last winter lol.

These storms are gonna happen given the different climo regions we have in a relatively small geographical area. There is a reason the mean snowfall in my yard is about half of Westminster. Otoh, over here I catch coastal scrapers and late developers quite a bit. The 2010 Boxing Day debacle was ok here as an example. Half of what was forecast but still 5-6".

8 minutes ago, H2O said:

I'm actually really happy how my map turned out.  Usually its a visual hot mess but this time I think I honed in on my talent.  I got the shading in there a LOT better.  I'll defer to @mappy for a fair and balanced critique 

The only complaint I have is you didn't put in a Star Trek emblem

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, H2O said:

Its all my fault.  i started it this morning.  

Nahh, I think most folks understand that us lowlanders need to blow off steam when we realize it’s not our storm, just part of the grieving process..I think the threads leading up to this have been good, except for the DT blow up with JI, but we all knew that would happen, LOL. Just part of the tradition here!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, GATECH said:

Nahh, I think most folks understand that us lowlanders need to blow off steam when we realize it’s not our storm, just part of the grieving process..I think the threads leading up to this have been good, except for the DT blow up with JI, but we all knew that would happen, LOL. Just part of the tradition here!

Exactly. These little disputes have been going on for decades in some cases. I guess some here got used to going hours between posts about beer and casseroles because there hasn’t been anything else worth talking about. 

• Like 1

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic