Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
October 30 Observation Thread

moneypitmike

13 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

It might not be far off. They dropped below freezing quick. However, ASOS gauge heater and melting may mean that some of the precip, as usual, is not caught. 

Pretty sure all of the big sites have the weighing gauge with antifreeze and wind shields now. Is the BOS snow reading still in Winthrop?

30 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

This was impressive given model guidance in approaching days, TBH.  It adds to the mystique of the near term event, it was a positive bust for many spots (?).  The first system added that additional southward tug of cold air behind it (especially in the lower 925mb level). right as the second low got going much further south.  Once that cold air started moving SEward, it had some serious momentum. Put a nice sweet spot through SNE.

Yeah it’s really hard to get an overperforming snow event in October. I was slicing a lot of those clown maps by close to half...when even the full ones weren’t quite enough...LOL. 

The last 6 hours amped up pretty hard at the last second. I had commented earlier how the HRRR nailed the afternoon banding that some of the conventional longer range models did not. That really put the event over the top as those few hours were easily dropping 15 to 1 (or higher) fluff on top of the denser stuff. 

2 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Pretty sure all of the big sites have the weighing gauge with antifreeze and wind shields now. Is the BOS snow reading still in Winthrop?

I know you’ve said that, but in snow events it does still seem low for whatever reason. 

It’s not Winthrop now. I think it is back more in East Boston. 

8 hours ago, CoastalWx said:

It might not be far off. They dropped below freezing quick. However, ASOS gauge heater and melting may mean that some of the precip, as usual, is not caught. 

Far from Boston here, but 10/29/2000 we had 4.5" of 28:1 feathers, daily max of 31.  Another 1.8" of 10:1 snow after my obs on the 29th for storm total of 6.3" and then 0.4" RA.  Bigger Oct event here than 2011.

• Like 1

19 f here, it looks like that was also the low.  Snow is pretty much all gone on the ground but remains on some shrubs and plants and on the trees. (The reverse from usual due to the warm ground)  It makes the shrubs look like they are blooming with white flowers.