Newest Member
    WIanBW

Hurricane Isaias

22 minutes ago, ineedsnow said:

Still no power got wild after I posted meh.  Not meh lol at dunkin line is huge

Camping stove and french press FTW.  But freezer FTL

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Was more convective in nature, I think. GHG was 55kts. Logan 46kts. But ironically I think weaker winds were near the Cape, opposite Irene.

Agreed.  Yesterday was more like a severe outbreak on roids then a TS.

1 hour ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Several homes in my neighborhood alone have trees into house 

Pics?

43 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

What a shitty storm. Still no power. Sent the wife and kids to grandma’s in WeHa last night. Spent 4 hours cleaning yesterday. Several trees down on the property so I’ll have to spend money to get them removed. Tossing food into coolers but some will get thrown out. Have to find a public spot to work remotely today during covid. 2020 can’t get any worse. FTS. 

sorry man. With the way the weather has been probably a good time to invest in a Genny, its worth its weight in gold for a homeowner 

• Like 1

Think we had the stinger jet in the dry slot or a gravity wave. Nice pressure rise fall couplet here. Biggest winds and damage at this time. The scream of the wind and seeing 100 ft trees bent in half was crazy.  I wish I had a tree top anemometer some times lol

20200805_081148.jpg

We had several convective cells move overhead early on.  Radar was showing very high velocities at range but as storms got closer and the sampling height dropped, the velocities were also dropping substantially.  It seemed like it was going to be a bust until the sun came out and the rain mostly stopped.  I don't know if it were coincidence or if that extra amount of mixing might have been the catalyst, because after that things got pretty heavy.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, radarman said:

We had several convective cells move overhead early on.  Radar was showing very high velocities at range but as storms got closer and the sampling height dropped, the velocities were also dropping substantially.  It seemed like it was going to be a bust until the sun came out and the rain mostly stopped.  I don't know if it were coincidence or if that extra amount of mixing might have been the catalyst, because after that things got pretty heavy.

When we were under the tornado warning our peak gusts came from that convection. 50-55 knots easy here. Reminded me a lot of the epic southeaster a few years back just before Halloween. 

6 minutes ago, CT Rain said:

When we were under the tornado warning our peak gusts came from that convection. 50-55 knots easy here. Reminded me a lot of the epic southeaster a few years back just before Halloween. 

I wonder if anything touched down. Given how weak any tornado would have been though it would probably be impossible to differentiate between tornado damage and damage from convective winds...which can be a challenge during tropical systems. But we lucked out big time with the tornado potential yesterday. 200+ J of 3km CAPE with those shear values could have ended up pretty ugly. Just weren't able to generate a decent enough updraft to utilize it.

21 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

sorry man. With the way the weather has been probably a good time to invest in a Genny, its worth its weight in gold for a homeowner 

I had one, it crapped out on me. I’m actually in the process of investing in a Generac standby. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Think we had the stinger jet in the dry slot or a gravity wave. Nice pressure rise fall couplet here. Biggest winds and damage at this time. The scream of the wind and seeing 100 ft trees bent in half was crazy.  I wish I had a tree top anemometer some times lol

20200805_081148.jpg

That is a very small pressure change though. You would see something more notable in a true G wave.

8 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

I had one, it crapped out on me. I’m actually in the process of investing in a Generac standby. 

Those are great. My folks have one. Hooked right into the nat gas. Goes on immediately.

• Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

Peak gust yesterday was 43 kts.  There was only about 60min of strongest winds and they were no where near that high.  Virtually no rain,

Irene peak gust for me was 50kts and the storm lasted far longer with higher sustained winds, which brought more damage.

Sandy only had a peak of 41kts but lasted longer as well.  I don't recall that much damage with this one

Both brought far more rain here which would contribute to trees coming down easier.

Irene was pretty strong in SE MA and the Cape. This one def focused the best wind further west. It seemed to be a lot spottier further east driven by convective pockets. 

• Like 1

Just N of my house.  No power just 2 houses up from me but we good.  I am sure they will shut us off when they go to fix the lines. 

938FA575-B1AD-40A9-8808-3F991AFF8C3E.jpeg

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Still puzzled how anyone enjoys this but ok.

Forecasts were spot on. With so many communities in the region placed into and surrounded by forrests, It doesn’t take much to cause damage though. If we ever have a slow moving cat1/2 cane, it would practically delete our livelyhoods. Have fun with that. 

More cleanup today. Riveting stuff. 

Yeah, when people say they want another 1938 they have no f’n clue what they are talking about.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Irene was pretty strong in SE MA and the Cape. This one def focused the best wind further west. It seemed to be a lot spottier further east driven by convective pockets. 

If this was a Gloria, we would have seen far worse damage over a larger area.  The fact that this was hauling along and was so far west mitigated a lot of that potential.

Never lost power but for those with TMPL service...

As of 9:30 p.m., the Massachusetts Emergency Management Agency (MEMA) reported no power outages in Taunton. However, in nearby Rehoboth, 70 percent of residents were without power, and in Norton, 24 percent of residents were without power. Both are powered primarily by National Grid.

Municipal Lighting FTMFW.

2 minutes ago, Chrisrotary12 said:

As a new-ish homeowner this is my biggest weather related fear. 

Looks like an ash tree maybe? I'm trying to tell form the bark, but tamarack would know right away. Wonder if it was dead from EAB and susceptible?

6 minutes ago, Chrisrotary12 said:

As a new-ish homeowner this is my biggest weather related fear. 

That's what homeowners Ins policies are for.

• Weenie 1

The core of the LLJ yesterday was also a bit more compact and on the narrow side. It really aligned rather well too with the dry slot. With dewpoints shooting into the mid-70's, temperatures ~80, and breaks of sun...it was the perfect recipe to draw down those strong winds. Let's be thankful those solutions of 80-100 knots at 850 didn't pan out...not that we mixed to 850 yesterday, but I'm sure 925 winds would have been 60-80 knots. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Power went out at 4pm. Then at 5:15 the pine tree in the neighbors yard decided to come crashing down across the road.

Don’t mind the power outage as I’ve got the house up and running on genny, but lost 90% of the corn and even a couple of the bigger eggplants got blown over. Sad.

Damage -

ece37796ba56e815e9500a577410f768.jpg

• Sad 1

Checking in

Still no power or internet but mobile hot spot with Verizon working great

Storm summary   rain   .42"   High wind gust was only 42mph out of the south but had several gusts to 40.

Storm Summary

High cirrus arrived late on August 3.  By yesterday morning there was a solid overcast.  During the day we had showers passing just west of us most of the day with breezy conditions.  Temperatures remained in the upper 60's with dews in the mid 60's Around 5pm the wind picked up substantially and soon after brief periods of heavy downpours. Dews jumped to around 70F for a short time and then fell back in the upper 60's.  For about one hour we had roaring winds and driving tropical showes.  This is when we lost power.   Winds decreased through the evening with clearing skies

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Ginx snewx said:

This was before peak gusts.  Probably 40s here then shit got real with 60s.

Was the wind's strength why the camera was always moving around? :P  I was getting dizzy watching this.

Wind for us maxed at about what I think is shown in this video.  We were lucky and did not lose power at all which was surprising as prone as we are to power interruptions.   Only blow downs were some tomato plants. (Same as with Irene interestingly enough)  Even my broken maple which is snagged on other trees remained in its mostly upright position.

Next street over has multiple trees down. Funny how that happens. Luckily just a messy yard here and that's about it. All Norway maples too, so eff them. :) 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

The core of the LLJ yesterday was also a bit more compact and on the narrow side. It really aligned rather well too with the dry slot. With dewpoints shooting into the mid-70's, temperatures ~80, and breaks of sun...it was the perfect recipe to draw down those strong winds. Let's be thankful those solutions of 80-100 knots at 850 didn't pan out...not that we mixed to 850 yesterday, but I'm sure 925 winds would have been 60-80 knots. 

I’m still a little puzzled as to why it didn’t gust that hard for places like ORH into interior E MA and N RI...they were under pretty strong LLJ late afternoon and there was actually some sunshine there so you would have thought very good LL lapse rates and mixing potential. But it was basically a clunker for winds....you wouldn’t have even known a storm moved through looking at pics of my neighborhood....and it’s a susceptible area for tree damage too on a hill. There were some pockets of convective showers that produced...esp closer to the south shore, but otherwise, meh. 

But im struggling to meteorologically explain it. Maybe the LLJ just weakened a lot more than every piece of guidance had it as it moved northeast. Or maybe there was just enough extra land friction there...not sure. The latter wouldn’t explain places like BAF up to Chris in greenfield getting big winds though while the 495 belt was experiencing merely a gusty summer afternoon.