Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Hurricane Isaias

wxeyeNH

2 minutes ago, Chrisrotary12 said:

As a new-ish homeowner this is my biggest weather related fear. 

Looks like an ash tree maybe? I'm trying to tell form the bark, but tamarack would know right away. Wonder if it was dead from EAB and susceptible?

The core of the LLJ yesterday was also a bit more compact and on the narrow side. It really aligned rather well too with the dry slot. With dewpoints shooting into the mid-70's, temperatures ~80, and breaks of sun...it was the perfect recipe to draw down those strong winds. Let's be thankful those solutions of 80-100 knots at 850 didn't pan out...not that we mixed to 850 yesterday, but I'm sure 925 winds would have been 60-80 knots. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Power went out at 4pm. Then at 5:15 the pine tree in the neighbors yard decided to come crashing down across the road.

Don’t mind the power outage as I’ve got the house up and running on genny, but lost 90% of the corn and even a couple of the bigger eggplants got blown over. Sad.

Damage -

ece37796ba56e815e9500a577410f768.jpg

• Sad 1

Checking in

Still no power or internet but mobile hot spot with Verizon working great

Storm summary   rain   .42"   High wind gust was only 42mph out of the south but had several gusts to 40.

Storm Summary

High cirrus arrived late on August 3.  By yesterday morning there was a solid overcast.  During the day we had showers passing just west of us most of the day with breezy conditions.  Temperatures remained in the upper 60's with dews in the mid 60's Around 5pm the wind picked up substantially and soon after brief periods of heavy downpours. Dews jumped to around 70F for a short time and then fell back in the upper 60's.  For about one hour we had roaring winds and driving tropical showes.  This is when we lost power.   Winds decreased through the evening with clearing skies

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Ginx snewx said:

This was before peak gusts.  Probably 40s here then shit got real with 60s.

Was the wind's strength why the camera was always moving around? :P  I was getting dizzy watching this.

Wind for us maxed at about what I think is shown in this video.  We were lucky and did not lose power at all which was surprising as prone as we are to power interruptions.   Only blow downs were some tomato plants. (Same as with Irene interestingly enough)  Even my broken maple which is snagged on other trees remained in its mostly upright position.

26 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

The core of the LLJ yesterday was also a bit more compact and on the narrow side. It really aligned rather well too with the dry slot. With dewpoints shooting into the mid-70's, temperatures ~80, and breaks of sun...it was the perfect recipe to draw down those strong winds. Let's be thankful those solutions of 80-100 knots at 850 didn't pan out...not that we mixed to 850 yesterday, but I'm sure 925 winds would have been 60-80 knots. 

I’m still a little puzzled as to why it didn’t gust that hard for places like ORH into interior E MA and N RI...they were under pretty strong LLJ late afternoon and there was actually some sunshine there so you would have thought very good LL lapse rates and mixing potential. But it was basically a clunker for winds....you wouldn’t have even known a storm moved through looking at pics of my neighborhood....and it’s a susceptible area for tree damage too on a hill. There were some pockets of convective showers that produced...esp closer to the south shore, but otherwise, meh. 

But im struggling to meteorologically explain it. Maybe the LLJ just weakened a lot more than every piece of guidance had it as it moved northeast. Or maybe there was just enough extra land friction there...not sure. The latter wouldn’t explain places like BAF up to Chris in greenfield getting big winds though while the 495 belt was experiencing merely a gusty summer afternoon. 

11 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

I’m still a little puzzled as to why it didn’t gust that hard for places like ORH into interior E MA and N RI...they were under pretty strong LLJ late afternoon and there was actually some sunshine there so you would have thought very good LL lapse rates and mixing potential. But it was basically a clunker for winds....you wouldn’t have even known a storm moved through looking at pics of my neighborhood....and it’s a susceptible area for tree damage too on a hill. There were some pockets of convective showers that produced...esp closer to the south shore, but otherwise, meh. 

But im struggling to meteorologically explain it. Maybe the LLJ just weakened a lot more than every piece of guidance had it as it moved northeast. Or maybe there was just enough extra land friction there...not sure. The latter wouldn’t explain places like BAF up to Chris in greenfield getting big winds though while the 495 belt was experiencing merely a gusty summer afternoon. 

That is rather puzzling. Given the wind direction yesterday, is it possible gusty outflow perhaps led to the strengthening of an inversion? Breaks of sun though would have certainly negated that though. Perhaps the difference had to do with the dewpoints? We were mid-70's down in CT which helped to create a great amount of low-level instability. One thing I just thought of but didn't look at yesterday was DCAPE. I've never thought about using this in these type of situations but I think it provides value. Here is DCAPE values at 16z yesterday. This is right around the time when winds started to ramp up in CT. One thing I've noticed over the years too is there is a disconnect between max DCAPE values and strongest winds with convection (differences in that you won't see max DCAPE coincide with strongest winds). 

image.png.1218fb76492e16bb56d0bfc4cf9dbec9.png

I also think that the system evolved a little erratically...perhaps as a result of a transition to a more ET nature. But looking at the course of the H85 low, it actually kinda of elongates a little bit and I guess you could say "weaken". At first I thought maybe this tracked a bit farther east in the last few hours but I think the system overall just became a bit more elongated/tilted. This was happening as the LLJ max moved into CT so we maximized it, but it also began to shove the LLJ max farther east...which I think explains why even PVD got into some solid gusts.

Here is 19z and you can see the MAX over CT

image.png.d003bb7efc288415e4acd2a405b6d79c.png

Here is 21z. Based on this I would think the LLJ max is shunted east rather then going north into MA/northern New England

image.png.490270673b5fc7f0cfd5ab1e15fecd73.png 

2 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

I’m a pretty conservative forecaster by nature and part of that is because I don’t have a degree (it’s too late for me), but I think I know tropical pretty well.

If a bona fide cat 1 or 2 were coming to CT I’d probably be just short of calling it the apocalypse...because in CT it probably would be. 

I've learned a ton about tropical from you. I've honestly never really followed tropical or studied it so my knowledge is slim...I do follow Josh, Eric Webb, and a few others closely on Twitter when they discuss tropical so I've picked up on things but not nearly enough to where I have confidence discussing things. The only thing I really know is...it takes one helluva pattern to get one here and IDK if models show a hurricane striking 3-days out...if the pattern isn't supportive I'll write it off faster than a Trump bounced check. 

I'll never forget (3 years ago?) that hurricane models had hitting us...the one that fuji------ off the SE coast? One of my classmates needed new pants b/c he was going wild about it saying it was going to be a hit. It was like 3-days out, models showed it hitting and he said to me, "you still think it's going to be a miss?" I said, "yup". He said, "you're crazy" and ran out of the weather center saying he had to call and warm people...lol

35 minutes ago, klw said:

Was the wind's strength why the camera was always moving around? :P  I was getting dizzy watching this.

Wind for us maxed at about what I think is shown in this video.  We were lucky and did not lose power at all which was surprising as prone as we are to power interruptions.   Only blow downs were some tomato plants. (Same as with Irene interestingly enough)  Even my broken maple which is snagged on other trees remained in its mostly upright position.

Sorry heard a tree snap and jerked around to make sure it wasn't falling my way.  Neighbors took it on the chin here. I will try harder next time.

Screenshot_20200805-104810_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20200805-104829_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20200805-104848_Gallery.jpg

1 hour ago, CoastalWx said:

That is a very small pressure change though. You would see something more notable in a true G wave.

Not true all the time but you can see that often in Baro traces as it bounces around with wind pressure changes during high wind events. Notable if you follow it. You should put your station online.

2 minutes ago, BrianW said:

My neighbor is a lineman for Eversource. Going to be days and days before power comes back on for many. Southwest CT is a mess. 

Screenshot_20200805-105824_Chrome.jpg

Yes looking around its a mess.  Fukin great. Eversource is under the gun for their humongous rate increase and their lack of infrastructure investment while their CEO and board rake millions.  This is going to be interesting.  All the WFH peeps now with political connections will turn up the heat.