• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    PrinsWX
    Newest Member
    PrinsWX

Hurricane Isaias

3 minutes ago, CTValleySnowMan said:

Just took a very nasty ride from Enfield through Longmeadow  MA to my parents house on the border on the border with Springfield.  Multiple detours , numerous trees and branches down, several trees hanging over wires, a couple wires on fire,  debris falling on the car definitely adrenaline-pumping. 

Can confirm. Trees down everywhere and the wind is still ripping every few mins

Just got the automated call from the town, 75% of Newtown is without power....reading the Facebook page it seems like every other road is closed due to trees and powerlines down, quite reminiscent of the May Tornado a few years back. I was not up here for Sandy or Irene, so I can not compare to this one. This was the best duration windstorm I have ever experienced. The sustained winds of the July (2013?) Mid Atlantic derecho were more impressive as was the overall experience.

45 minutes ago, Hoth said:

Absolutely. If this is what a mid-range tropical storm can do, I don't want to think about a cat 2 or 3.

Wimp. Bring it on. 

• Haha 1

Took a ride through town...decent amount of big branches and some smaller trees down. Nothing uprooted thanks to the drought. But decent event, better than a typical high wind warning.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Congrats man. You wanted this and called it. Hopefully you bring down a few more. 

Sounds like it was a total dud back home. Not expecting much up here Maine either. 

No power . Trees and damage here. I live for this. Pretty sick damage in town driving to check on family 

• Like 3

What a journey home. Tons of trees down in Branford/North Branford. I usually always take back roads from Branford to North Branford to Wallingford and catch 91 there so I avoid 95. Debated on not doing that tonight in case roads were closed or power lines were down. 

anyways, I said screw it and did it. As I was driving  I couldn’t believe the trees down/debris. I get to probably about a mile from the highway (of a 12-mile journey) and boom...tree across middle of road. So I had to turn around. Luckily, the detour wasn’t much...ended up turning down a side street I’ve always wondered where it led. Was basically just a tad longer loop to the highway. 

F5CA38D8-88EE-412E-8961-67FB1D756322.thumb.png.932d49b61139615d61308f081ee5ede1.png

driving along 91 there were some downed trees along the highway. Getting into Windsor Locks...I was impressed by the 1.5 mile drive from highway to my house with the amount of trees/limbs down. Even a huge section without power. Saw a tree down upon entering the driveway to the complex and then this was in my neighbors yard 

90240761-F5B3-473B-AF64-22D63B9221BC.thumb.png.775c3df12cff8c66d30ebc308bd6bd13.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

18 minutes ago, HimoorWx said:

Absolutely ripping now. Worst of the storm here.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

See worst is prior to and during. This isn’t bad here. We had some damage during that.

Damn, did all of the mosquitoes get sucked up the coast from the south?  After a relatively easy mosquito summer,  tonight they are somehow out stinging in gusty winds! 

2 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

No power . Trees and damage here. I live for this. Pretty sick damage in town driving to check on family 

And that’s with 50-60

34 minutes ago, SouthCoastMA said:

2 hour burst of 40-50mph gusts with some limbs down..but I feel like this happens several times a year so meh. I mean, I'll take it but nothing too impressive.

March 1st 2018 and the storm earlier this spring were gustier

Agree on the impacts here.  Benign. We get these type of events a few times a year here.

2 minutes ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

Agree on the impacts here.  Benign. We get these type of events a few times a year here.

In summer? When was that?

Maybe because it was localized, but it got close to last year. House shook and that’s when damage happened. Sounded worse to my SE. The heavy rain and wind won’t be forgotten. That was awesome. 

• Like 1

Seeing all the posts about the worst being in Mass still, giving me up here in Maine some hope, lots of power flickering, UPSes keep clicking to battery then back to line, but nothing major yet.

40 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Early April event was taking off my roof. But this was good. At least locally. Was convective so some areas did well and others no. Last October was way worse. We moved our kids from their bedrooms. Sounds like PYM county did well.

Maybe if was April. I'm awful with memory

I agree the this event was underwhelming ORH east in interior Mass pretty much but 50 mph gusts is what guidance was showing for this area. But that is fine with me. With still 3.5M customers without power on the eastern seaboard some people are going to be without it for a while. Certainly would not call this event a bust for New England as whole.

People have to remember some were expecting this to degenerate into a naked swirl off Florida and it turned into a Cat 1 NC landfall and a bit of a mess for the northeast corridor.

Kinda lame at how easy it is to lose power up here with 40mph+ winds. 0.23” rain. I’d rather have what upstate ny had. Inches of rain and heavy electricity. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

In summer? When was that?

Did I write summer?  What does the the date have anything to do with what the outcome is?  An hour of gusty winds is nothing extraordinary here.  

Mega impressed by this Danielson ASOS lies in a valley surrounded by trees. About 7 miles from me

Windham County...
1 NW Danielson               56 MPH    0404 PM 08/04   AWOS

Power lost for 2-3 minutes  The grid might be stronger out here (?) than it was when I lived in North Andover MA where the power would go for a day during every other summer thunderstorm.   Wind is still blowing, but it has never gotten as strong as April storms were.  Intermitent rain drops that have you wondering whether it was rain or bird spit.

Looks like the Mount Washington peak wind in the past two hours has been 107kts/123mph!  That's impressive for summer up there.

KMWN 042248Z 12068G85KT 1/16SM SHRA FG VV001 13/13 RMK PK WND 120107/09

The current observation of 79G96 is pretty solid, lol.

KMWN 042348Z 13079G96KT

Just now, Baroclinic Zone said:

Did I write summer?  What does the the date have anything to do with what the outcome is?  An hour of gusty winds is nothing extraordinary here.  

Oh didn’t realize you only had an hour of meh winds. Seems AEMATT didn’t get hit this time, models showed it though. Summer winds are a different animal for damage at 60 mph, plus they sound cool with leaves and all but still nothing beats the howls of a NW nighttime deep winter blow

• Like 3

Just now, Ginx snewx said:

Mega impressed by this Danielson ASOS lies in a valley surrounded by trees. About 7 miles from me

Windham County...
1 NW Danielson               56 MPH    0404 PM 08/04   AWOS

Yeah that's solid for an open air field even in a low elevation.  Being in a forested neighborhood would probably slow it down but tree top gusts were probably 50-60mph fairly widespread in E.CT it seems.