• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    corvairbob
    Newest Member
    corvairbob

Hurricane Isaias

I had no idea that many out without power, I guess on a bright note, thank god it wasn't winter with temps etc.However, I don't know what is worse the dews and high temps? Best of luck to the ones still with out

4 hours ago, Hoth said:

I'm even seeing some of that five miles inland in Hamden. My car also had a very light coating of salt when I drove home on Tuesday.

That's impressive it went that far inland. Its really bad along the shoreline in Branford. All the oaks are like completely brown. 

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, 512high said:

I had no idea that many out without power, I guess on a bright note, thank god it wasn't winter with temps etc.However, I don't know what is worse the dews and high temps? Best of luck to the ones still with out

I rather no heat in the winter.. you can always put more cloths on

• Like 2

11 hours ago, WxWatcher007 said:

I told our followers it may take longer for power to be restored because of the pandemic, but not because of outright incompetence...

I’m one of them. 

You have to wonder if the next time BOX issues a High Wind Warning or something, do they issue different statements for RI/MA as one and then CT as another... putting wording in with the CT advisory that sounds more like Katrina is coming "Winds may gust to 60mph, resulting in widespread power outages and critical grid failure.  Be prepared to be without power for up to a week."

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

42 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

You have to wonder if the next time BOX issues a High Wind Warning or something, do they issue different statements for RI/MA as one and then CT as another... putting wording in with the CT advisory that sounds more like Katrina is coming "Winds may gust to 60mph, resulting in widespread power outages and critical grid failure.  Be prepared to be without power for up to a week."

:lol: 

5 hours ago, Hoth said:

I'm even seeing some of that five miles inland in Hamden. My car also had a very light coating of salt when I drove home on Tuesday.

Looks like fall here when your on a boat and looking to the north.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

:lol: 

I mean I'm only half joking, mostly joking, but I still think it's a consideration given recent history... we keep thinking all the weak trees have been taken out, going back a decade ago, but then another event hits and CT gets crushed with power outages. 

For a meteorologist right now down in CT, it seems like it would be difficult to give the message if you think the power outage impact could be much more severe than the recorded wind speeds might suggest.  Conveying this type of society interruption from the storm... like what would we or the public have said if a Met was talking about widespread week long power outages from Isaias 24 hours ahead of time?  How many folks would've even considered that.

1 hour ago, powderfreak said:

Expect catastrophic tree damage and extreme anger at unnecessarily long power outages. :lol: 

10 hours ago, ineedsnow said:

This statement (while I can see how it makes obvious sense) isn't necessarily a correct statement in terms of adjusting to heat vs. cold. It's not as simple a "you can always put more clothes on". Extreme heat and extreme cold are both big killers every year but there are discrepancies as to which is the bigger killer. Some studies suggest that extreme cold kills far more people than extreme heat while other studies suggest the opposite. When it's extremely hot there are things you can easily do to maintain your body temperature or prevent it from rising...drinking water, staying in shade, minimal activity. Wen it's extreme cold just "adding layers" isn't going to be an answer. You're still being exposed to cold and your body temperature is still slowly falling. Humans can still function with body temperatures around 100 (obviously you feel like shit with a fever but you're not doing damage to your organs). But you're body temperature starts getting 3+ below our average temperature that can start to result in some minor issues. 

The "you can always put more clothes on" statement works great for indoors bur in extreme conditions that has zero value. 

10 hours ago, powderfreak said:

I mean I'm only half joking, mostly joking, but I still think it's a consideration given recent history... we keep thinking all the weak trees have been taken out, going back a decade ago, but then another event hits and CT gets crushed with power outages. 

Trees grow and trees decay, resulting in new weaklings being recruited every year.  I'm always looking for damage each late spring/summer when the deciduous trees "unfurl the sails".

Can't get the plumbing to do the same - split pipes and resulting water damage is a bummer.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Great Snow 1717 said:

Agree

?? No power in Winter is scary. The only good thing is that food won’t go bad as quick. But you risk frozen pipes and water damage. 

I’d rather lose power in summer as well. Our water pipes all run in the interior of the basement and up to the first floor so they’re well away from walls. Even when we didn’t heat it down there (when we used the pellet stove upstairs) it never went below 45°. 

Just now, CoastalWx said:

?? No power in Winter is scary. The only good thing is that good won’t go bad as quick. But you risk frozen pipes and water damage. 

And there are ways to mitigate the risk for frozen pipes. The water can be shut off and the pipes drained.  Old timers would do that and then poor some alcohol(some plumbers recommend using non toxic antifreeze) down the drains and into toilets. Some would use sterno to help keep pipes warm.  In 2018 a friend got through a power outage by using a solar powered generator and some heating tape to prevent pipes from freezing. . And he also used a set of portable solar panels to help keep other devices charged.  He used a few large coolers to preserve much of the food his family had on hand. 

48 minutes ago, Great Snow 1717 said:

And there are ways to mitigate the risk for frozen pipes. The water can be shut off and the pipes drained.  Old timers would do that and then poor some alcohol(some plumbers recommend using non toxic antifreeze) down the drains and into toilets. Some would use sterno to help keep pipes warm.  In 2018 a friend got through a power outage by using a solar powered generator and some heating tape to prevent pipes from freezing. . And he also used a set of portable solar panels to help keep other devices charged.  He used a few large coolers to preserve much of the food his family had on hand. 

It’s just a lot of work in winter. In summer, nothing to worry about except food. I’ll give you that. But as far as risk mitigation, it’s much easier in summer. 

20 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

It’s just a lot of work in winter. In summer, nothing to worry about except food. I’ll give you that. But as far as risk mitigation, it’s much easier in summer. 

I'd rather deal with the cold than the heat/humidity.  

On 8/9/2020 at 12:08 PM, ice1972 said:

157k still out.....there’s no way they get to the 99% restored by Tuesday Which is what they said a couple days ago......which is Election Day also....Everworst

it's amazing-nothing has changed-basically a redux of their poor response time back in the storms of 2010-2012.   

10 minutes ago, Brian5671 said:

it's amazing-nothing has changed-basically a redux of their poor response time back in the storms of 2010-2012.   

It's pretty crazy. Maybe they were able to get things on faster this time with some of the smart grid tech they claim makes a difference? Still seemed like nothing changed with pre-staging, communicating with towns, poor tree maintenance, etc. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, CT Rain said:

It's pretty crazy. Maybe they were able to get things on faster this time with some of the smart grid tech they claim makes a difference? Still seemed like nothing changed with pre-staging, communicating with towns, poor tree maintenance, etc. 

To me it looked like they were reactive vs proactive-out of state crews were not called in until 24-48 hours post storm-I'm sure they'll blame Covid or something but there's no excuse for that-they knew what they were looking at by Tuesday eve.    

1 minute ago, Brian5671 said:

To me it looked like they were reactive vs proactive-out of state crews were not called in until 24-48 hours post storm-I'm sure they'll blame Covid or something but there's no excuse for that-they knew what they were looking at by Tuesday eve.    

Yeah they definitely underestimated the storm. I think part of that is the forecast changing - over the weekend it didn't look nearly as bad to me as it did by Monday AM. The other issue is preparing for a reasonable worst case scenario... they were very clear they do not do that because it costs money. So this is a result. 

I also find it very hard to believe that this storm produced 1M peak outages while Hurricane Gloria produced 500k peak outages. Something is fundamentally broken with the power grid in that case. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, CT Rain said:

Yeah they definitely underestimated the storm. I think part of that is the forecast changing - over the weekend it didn't look nearly as bad to me as it did by Monday AM. The other issue is preparing for a reasonable worst case scenario... they were very clear they do not do that because it costs money. So this is a result. 

I also find it very hard to believe that this storm produced 1M peak outages while Hurricane Gloria produced 500k peak outages. Something is fundamentally broken with the power grid in that case. 

The wiki says 727k but I know....its Wiki......it also says there were 92 mph gusts in Hartford.....holy moly.....can't even imagine that especially when 60 mph looked insane

7 minutes ago, CT Rain said:

what's the population difference b/w now and then?  Does that factor in at all?     Otherwise I agree-antiquated equipment or they're not doing proper upkeep.    Imagine if a Cat 3 took that path?   

2 minutes ago, Brian5671 said:

what's the population difference b/w now and then?  Does that factor in at all?     Otherwise I agree-antiquated equipment or they're not doing proper upkeep.    Imagine if a Cat 3 took that path?   

Not a huge population difference as we have not grown that fast. More trees, fewer line crews, less maintenance, etc. 

4 minutes ago, ice1972 said:

The wiki says 727k but I know....its Wiki......it also says there were 92 mph gusts in Hartford.....holy moly.....can't even imagine that especially when 60 mph looked insane

That number includes UI - which was hit very hard being in the remnant eyewall.

And yeah there were some epic inland gusts from Gloria. 

1 minute ago, CT Rain said:

Not a huge population difference as we have not grown that fast. More trees, fewer line crews, less maintenance, etc. 

I'd point to maintenance as a culprit-we're UI here, but I see alot of old crappy poles,  trees against lines etc.   

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Brian5671 said:

I'd point to maintenance as a culprit-we're UI here, but I see alot of old crappy poles,  trees against lines etc.   

When you look at pictures from 1938 and the storms in the 50s and Donna it's amazing how few trees there are compared to now. We've let trees grow unchecked through our electrical grid. There's a price for that.

The complete shut down in the tropics for us from 1991-2011 didn't help either as we grew accustomed to few wind storms. 

• Like 2