• Member Statistics

    16,105
    Total Members
    7,904
    Most Online
    corvairbob
    Newest Member
    corvairbob
    Joined
wxeyeNH

Hurricane Isaias

Recommended Posts

Talk about the perfect definition of a tornado associated with a TC low topped supercell. Waterspout gets on land and quickly lifts up 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 A crew from Hydro Quebec restored my power last night around 9. They were on a 4 pm to 8 am shift. Hooked them up with a ton of good New England beers and thanked them. 

 

Screenshot_20200808-054749_Gallery.jpg

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BrianW said:

 A crew from Hydro Quebec restored my power last night around 9. They were on a 4 pm to 8 am shift. Hooked them up with a ton of good New England beers and thanked them. 

 

Screenshot_20200808-054749_Gallery.jpg

Awesome man!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can't believe how many people have said they didn't know what was coming and didn't expect much. I think TS Fay may have been a curse

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, powderfreak said:

That’s wild!  25 yards wide and 50 yards in length but enough to rip a roof off a house and destroy the supporting walls on second floor if I’m reading that right?

Talk about incredibly unlucky for that homeowner.

His house is still in the middle of the street 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That was hilarious. We on day 5. I saw probably 50 trucks from Decatur , Illinois last night on my way to pick up dinner at the Eversource building in town . Apparently they dispersed them elsewhere. I think one of the issues here is the one on 74 looks like the primaries are all shot and the pole is split. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Basically not prepared and also statewide. Not a good combo. But when looking at the outage maps. Adjacent MA and RI counties looked much better. The wind just didn’t stop there either. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

That was hilarious. We on day 5. I saw probably 50 trucks from Decatur , Illinois last night on my way to pick up dinner at the Eversource building in town . Apparently they dispersed them elsewhere. I think one of the issues here is the one on 74 looks like the primaries are all shot and the pole is split. 

Dude I posted in the other thread. They have a crew sitting outside my daughter's house watching so no one goes near a live line on Rt 138. 5 days now, 12 hour shifts just sitting.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Dude I posted in the other thread. They have a crew sitting outside my daughter's house watching so no one goes near a live line on Rt 138. 5 days now, 12 hour shifts just sitting.  

On my run this morning I ran down 74 and I counted 14 utility trucks that passed me on their way back to Eversource. They drove right past the pole/ tree on lines, so I’m guessing it’s gotta be a bigger job.  They have this massive staging area . It’s on Tolland side of Vernon line. There must have been 100 trucks sitting in that lot last night. The Illinois trucks were all parked in a commercial lot with restaurants and stores. Guys just standing there with hands in pockets drinking sodas and coffees. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Basically not prepared and also statewide. Not a good combo. But when looking at the outage maps. Adjacent MA and RI counties looked much better. The wind just didn’t stop there either. 

SECT and SRI didn't however get the big winds but I get your point. Interesting look around the state and you can see by the damage paths clear locations of outer bands with embedded circulations. I have now seen 2 storms basically exactly the same.  Wether they are called tornadoes or not these outer bands winds have a swirling circulation . I watched as my trees whipped from one direction to the other over and over. My anemometers swung direction rapidly.  My traces on my graphs are crazy with wind direction 

Screenshot_20200808-075154_Chrome.jpg

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Damage In Tolland said:

On my run this morning I ran down 74 and I counted 14 utility trucks that passed me on their way back to Eversource. They drove right past the pole/ tree on lines, so I’m guessing it’s gotta be a bigger job.  They have this massive staging area . It’s on Tolland side of Vernon line. There must have been 100 trucks sitting in that lot last night. The Illinois trucks were all parked in a commercial lot with restaurants and stores. Guys just standing there with hands in pockets drinking sodas and coffees. 

I talked to a Asplund tree guy. He said it's mass confusion with no direction. Apparently the main guys who coordinated crews retired and some of the guys left are clueless and only got the jobs because they were connected. ClusterF

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

The winds def were not just coming from one direction even here.  Whipping in all directions at the surface. Very interesting storm here in New England.  

Trees went down in 2 directions here. First from the south/SSE and then when the sun came out the strongest gusts were out of the SW

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ours was mainly SE.  really just before and during squall. Some areas not touched, others multiple trees/limbs down. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Trees went down in 2 directions here. First from the south/SSE and then when the sun came out the strongest gusts were out of the SW

The pictures I posted in my hood have trees lying in both directions as you said. Even though we power I can here gennys humming all through the hood. Lots of people live deep in the woods with 1/4 mile driveways.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

I talked to a Asplund tree guy. He said it's mass confusion with no direction. Apparently the main guys who coordinated crews retired and some of the guys left are clueless and only got the jobs because they were connected. ClusterF

Makes sense why the prep and response has been pathetic. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ginx snewx said:

I can't believe how many people have said they didn't know what was coming and didn't expect much. I think TS Fay may have been a curse

Yea. Sometimes we think our weenie world equals the general public and that’s rarely the case. We thought the forecasts were great with enough lead time but apparently the public either didin’t get the memo or shrugged it off to media hype. 

It’s why I always prefer to be cautious and be ready then do a TBlizz but wake up to disaster and say, “I didn’t think it would be this bad”. 

I pulled my kids out of daycare at 12 and the teachers thought I was drunk. Even my wife did. But then daycare sent out an alert that they were closing at 3...during the height of storm. I lost power at 315. Parents were pissed because they drove in dangerous conditions as the winds whipped and trees came down. 

Puzzled why people late until the last minute and react, instead of being proactive. 

I guess when we weenies know the power of mother nature, we don’t mess around.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Yea. Sometimes we think our weenie world equals the general public and that’s rarely the case. We thought the forecasts were great with enough lead time but apparently the public either didin’t get the memo or shrugged it off to media hype. 

It’s why I always prefer to be cautious and be ready then do a TBlizz but wake up to disaster and say, “I didn’t think it would be this bad”. 

I pulled my kids out of daycare at 12 and the teachers thought I was drunk. Even my wife did. But then daycare sent out an alert that they were closing at 3...during the height of storm. I lost power at 315. Parents were pissed because they drove in dangerous conditions as the winds whipped and trees came down. 

Puzzled why people late until the last minute and react, instead of being proactive. 

I guess when we weenies know the power of mother nature, we don’t mess around.

Did you get power back yet? We have power, but no internet here...we still have 40 road closures in town, wires are laying everywhere. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Spanks45 said:

Did you get power back yet? We have power, but no internet here...we still have 40 road closures in town, wires are laying everywhere. 

Not yet. Hoping by Monday.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you own a home in CT you should have a generator. It's astounding that people will spend 100's of thousands of dollars on a house but not a few hundred on a generator. 

How many times has this happened in CT? Eversource doesn't give a **** about you not having power. They own the entire electrical grid and are guaranteed a nice profit by PURA (Public Utility Regulatory Authority). All the cleanup cost is going to be passed on to rate payers and approved by PURA. This was announced the other day.

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Not yet. Hoping by Monday.

Yuck, hopefully they are overestimating and today is your day... Talked to the current owners of our soon to be new house. They said they lost power for 6 hours. The neighborhood has buried lines so there was an issue on the main road.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, BrianW said:

If you own a home in CT you should have a generator. It's astounding that people will spend 100's of thousands of dollars on a house but not a few hundred on a generator. 

How many times has this happened in CT? Eversource doesn't give a **** about you not having power. They own the entire electrical grid and are guaranteed a nice profit by PURA (Public Utility Regulatory Authority). All the cleanup cost is going to be passed on to rate payers and approved by PURA. This was announced the other day.

I went solar 4 years ago and all they get from me is a $9.62 montly connection charge. 

 

 

 

Screenshot_20200730-095154_Drive.jpg

I have a south facing house and will be looking into it as soon as we move in...How does your production do in the winter? Big decision will be getting a powerwall or not...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m now convinced they save the big repair jobs that involve poles and primaries for last. This ones going to be quite an undertaking . They must save those until the end and focus on getting important areas up and running that have easy repairs like a blown transformer 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BrianW said:

If you own a home in CT you should have a generator. It's astounding that people will spend 100's of thousands of dollars on a house but not a few hundred on a generator. 

How many times has this happened in CT? Eversource doesn't give a **** about you not having power. They own the entire electrical grid and are guaranteed a nice profit by PURA (Public Utility Regulatory Authority). All the cleanup cost is going to be passed on to rate payers and approved by PURA. This was announced the other day.

 

 

 

CEO of  Eversource makes slightly more than 19 mil/year. Clearly the CEO and his colleagues  have  not taken the time to plan for a storm even on the scale of Isaias.  I thought PURA mandated that Eversource suspended rate hike rates for customers??

And this should be a wake up call for those who wish for a repeat of the hurricane in 1938. Power would be out for months not days if a repeat of 38 occurred. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Spanks45 said:

I have a south facing house and will be looking into it as soon as we move in...How does your production do in the winter? Big decision will be getting a powerwall or not...

I'm wide open and get full sun. The last few months I had record production. I am looking into a battery/power wall as during power outages the panels shutdown to prevent backfeeding to the grid. I have a generator for when that happens though.

Winter can be rough but I produce enough in the summer and get credited to carry me through the winter. 

CT and Mass have some of the best solar incentives in the nation. With such high electricity prices the payback period is 5-6 years. Both states will literally give you a check for thousands of dollars for installing them. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Yea. Sometimes we think our weenie world equals the general public and that’s rarely the case. We thought the forecasts were great with enough lead time but apparently the public either didin’t get the memo or shrugged it off to media hype. 

It’s why I always prefer to be cautious and be ready then do a TBlizz but wake up to disaster and say, “I didn’t think it would be this bad”. 

I pulled my kids out of daycare at 12 and the teachers thought I was drunk. Even my wife did. But then daycare sent out an alert that they were closing at 3...during the height of storm. I lost power at 315. Parents were pissed because they drove in dangerous conditions as the winds whipped and trees came down. 

Puzzled why people late until the last minute and react, instead of being proactive. 

I guess when we weenies know the power of mother nature, we don’t mess around.

It’s a forecasting nightmare. Maybe it’s news fatigue or the fact that Fay was a dud in CT, but it’s usually really hard reaching people. @SR Airglow and I just do the best we can to deliver accurate and contextualized info to our followers. Sometimes I feel too conservative but I know we had our people prepared for this one. 

As for the weenie senses—it’s an asset for sure. I am much better prepared far sooner because I track this stuff like a nut. That keeps me and the people around me safe. October 2011, Irene, Sandy, I was ready for whatever. I’m still without power but I’m in good shape here relatively speaking.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.