Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Hurricane Isaias

wxeyeNH

7 hours ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Roads, bridges, power grids...but also our mass transit. We’re an ancient society. But as long as the oligarchs keep cashing in, it’s all good apparently. 

I don't think that's going to last. There is seething anger just under the surface. The recognition that the government bailed out the top ten percent in recent months by directly backstopping the stock and credit markets, while so many millions are losing jobs and small businesses, is becoming increasingly self-evident to the man on the street. The fact that the Fed is now actively trying to make inflation run hot, making basic necessities more expensive for those who are most vulnerable, just shows how effed up everything is. This is how you get breakdowns of civil society. This is how people get stirred up to the point they fantasize about dusting off the guillotines. 

8 hours ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Yea. Great idea closing lanes at 6pm. Had to go down 9 and on Corbins Corner to get to WeHa. 

Part of me doesn't want to complain b/c it's great they're finally addressing these issues but it seems like the organization of it is extremely poor. I left my grandmothers in New Britain like 6:45 so I could beat the construction start...I couldn't believe how it was at 7:00 PM. I always thought they started night work like 9 PM ish. 

I also kinda hate how late in the morning it goes. Every morning when I'm driving down 91 there happens to be a spot on the NB side where the police have it blocked off while the construction crews clean up...so the traffic is at a dead stop...mind you this is about 5:30 AM. That has to screw people going to work. Some people will say "get up earlier" or "find another way"...ok so someone is going to have to wake up at 3:30 to get to work for 6:30...yeah no 

But anyways...glad road/highway issues are being addressed. 

25 minutes ago, Hoth said:

The funny thing is we pay a huge gas tax that is supposed to maintain those roads. Where does that money go?

Traffic has continually increased.  Vehicles are larger/heavier than ever.  More trucks.  
Roads are taking a beating.  No one wants to pay more taxes to fix them (which I get)

My town couldn’t even pass a debt exclusion that would cost each household around $80 a year to get roads in the town paved.  

But we are fine with paying $1200 to fix our suspensions. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

Still two towns in CT at 100% without power. North Branford and Shelton. Totally unacceptable...it's not like these are middle of nowhere cities. 

It shows 49 customers in NB and fewer than 3 in Shelton . Those are UI towns mainly. So those 52 people in total are out that are Eversource customers 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

I’m gonna guess we get power back today or tomorrow 

Still no power for me.

But at least the clown above me had his generator running for the past 2 days so I couldn't sleep.  Dude bails somewhere to go where there is power, but leaves a generator running so that he can salvage a few hamburgers and hot dogs.  ...Spend a few $100 on gas to salvage $40 worth of food.

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

Roads are absolute trash in mass too.... at least around here.

Infrastructure in general in this country is severely lacking. It takes forever to finish any project so no real progress can be made.

If we’re looking for ways to stimulate America after Covid... an expansive nationwide infrastructure overhaul wouldn’t be a bad idea.

MassDOT roads are mint.  Local town roads are garbage. 

The problem with a "nation wide overhaul" is that there needs to be some sort of mechanism to MAINTAIN the infrastructure after it's built. The Feds come in and build these big projects and then leave.....then the community is supposed to maintain the infrastructure...but they can't and don't.  Then the infrastructure fails and the Feds come to the rescue again. Round and round we go. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

Traffic has continually increased.  Vehicles are larger/heavier than ever.  More trucks.  
Roads are taking a beating.  No one wants to pay more taxes to fix them (which I get)

My town couldn’t even pass a debt exclusion that would cost each household around $80 a year to get roads in the town paved.  

The problem with a debt exclusion for paving is that the roads are already falling apart again by the time you even pay off the debt.....

1 minute ago, Whineminster said:

How have you been holding up? Still switching on light switches when there's no power? That's what happens to me lol. 

1 minute ago, Whineminster said:

How have you been holding up? Still switching on light switches when there's no power? That's what happens to me lol. 

I’ve been fine. Yeah constantly flipping light switches . Habitual I guess. The only issue is ice. Working 6 coolers and no ice around . Lost quite a bit of food. But found ice this morning . Power outages are fun if done correctly 

Just now, Damage In Tolland said:

I’ve been fine. Yeah constantly flipping light switches . Habitual I guess. The only issue is ice. Working 6 coolers and no ice around . Lost quite a bit of food. But found ice this morning . Power outages are fun if done correctly 

I enjoy taking a shower.   At least in the summer I can use water from my pool to flush the toilet via a bucket brigade

Just now, Damage In Tolland said:

Singing kumbaya by the campfire firepit?

The next wind event we get...even if it's in fall I think is going to produce a bit more damage than usual. You can see there are a ton of weakened trees...leaning or which have limbs that are partially broken off. I'm trying to remember how the first few wind events panned out after Oct Snow, Irene, and Sandy...anyone recall? 

23 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

I have lost power so many times that habit left me. Nothing better than waking up to the bathroom light on. Having a generator for the freezers, water and lights is worth its weight in gold. Bought 2 bags of ice on Monday as I paid attention to the forecasts. Put those in the fridges so I could turn the genny off at night. Ran the genny probably 16 hours in 60 hours burned 6 gallons of gas. Food is great. Actually ran the pool pump yesterday so the pool is good although I had to add water today. Power is good

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

11 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

The next wind event we get...even if it's in fall I think is going to produce a bit more damage than usual. You can see there are a ton of weakened trees...leaning or which have limbs that are partially broken off. I'm trying to remember how the first few wind events panned out after Oct Snow, Irene, and Sandy...anyone recall? 

Weren't Irene and snowtober the same year? 2011. Feb 13 megablizzard followed Sandy but also son of Sandy caused a bunch of outages in NJ NYC 

Just now, Ginx snewx said:

Weren't Irene and snowtober the same year? 2011. Feb 13 megablizzard followed Sandy but also son of Sandy caused a bunch of outages in NJ NYC 

ahhh yes right...Irene happened before October...man I tell ya...my memory is legit fading. 

Hopefully we don't get a crazy above-average fall and delay the leaves changing process. We still have a pretty big window to get some high wind events...whether it's from convection or another tropical system before we get to the point where leaves start falling off. 

57 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

Maybe this event was enough crisis to spur action, though I doubt it.  Our small (1400 or so) town dithered for 30 years about replacing our decrepit and wholly inadequate fire station, and about the moldy and asbestos-filled town office for the latter half of that period.  Even a winter of seeing the office equipment under plastic (roof leaking) when one visited the town clerk for excise tax, dog licenses, etc., didn't move the needle, though I think it kind of prepped things.  Then last fall an asbestos-wrapped steam pipe blew, forcing the office to close - nice folks in Chesterville made a place for our town clerk to work temporarily.  That did the trick - a well-attended meeting early last December presented plans for a new town office/fire station and attendees approved the expense by an 11:1 margin.  Most of those folks had voted down a (better, IMO) proposal 3 years earlier.  Squeaky wheels come in many forms.

Edit:  Saw yesterday that my old NNJ stomping ground was mostly still dark, and Jersey Central said that 95% of its customers would have power back by this coming Tuesday.  Yay!

2 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

ahhh yes right...Irene happened before October...man I tell ya...my memory is legit fading. 

Hopefully we don't get a crazy above-average fall and delay the leaves changing process. We still have a pretty big window to get some high wind events...whether it's from convection or another tropical system before we get to the point where leaves start falling off. 

I noticed today that the back side of some tree leaves on the south side are curling, lack of rain or maybe some salt thrown up by the wind.  Extremely dry

• Like 1

On 8/4/2020 at 8:37 PM, Baroclinic Zone said:

Peak gusts were from 4-5 pm.  60mph would have been a whole different animal for sure but it takes a unique storm to get that here.  Jan 2005 blizzard was one of them. Peak gust was 50 here.  Most gusts were 30-40mph.  Rained for about 15min. 0.14”.

D4993F9A-786B-4DF6-AC75-8D900CE7D030.thumb.jpeg.f3bcd42793f7011969aa18a51676d2dc.jpeg

I made a tongue-in-cheek remark about how guidance was beginning to remove the rain threat from SNE, as models shifted west a few days before LF and it was met with a great deal of skepticism.

Seems warranted in hindsight.

4 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

I noticed today that the back side of some tree leaves on the south side are curling, lack of rain or maybe some salt thrown up by the wind.  Extremely dry

I've noticed the same...hell I've noticed a quite a bit of trees too that have numerous limbs without leaves (which are even surrounded by trees which are fully leaved). Not sure if the tree disease is just worsening significantly but I'm noticing more and more even larger pockets where you have several trees just completely bare.