Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Hurricane Isaias

wxeyeNH

13 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Still haven’t seen any ES trucks around and the tree in the middle of the road that took down our power hasn’t been touched. 

I drive all over Fairfield County for work. Trees and wires are still down on roads all over the place. 

Its not just Eversources fault. Towns and the state haven't cleared roads. Also just heard on the radio that Frontier owns most of the poles not Eversource and they are a big part of the issue as well. 

I would expect you probably won't have power until late next week. Tons of commercial areas on Post Rd are still out. They focus on those spots first. If your on some rural residential road you are last on the list.

10 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Still haven’t seen any ES trucks around and the tree in the middle of the road that took down our power hasn’t been touched. 

I heard from a co-worker they have utility trucks out in Old Saybrook!!! (At least we know there are some out there). Still 5 towns with 100% of customers out

6 minutes ago, BrianW said:

I drive all over Fairfield County for work. Trees and wires are still down on roads all over the place. 

Its not just Eversources fault. Towns and the state haven't cleared roads. Also just heard on the radio that Frontier owns most of the poles not Eversource and they are a big part of the issue as well. 

I would expect you probably won't have power until late next week. Tons of commercial areas on Post Rd are still out. They focus on those spots first. If your on some rural residential road you are last on the list.

I'm curious to know whether there is communication between utility companies and, towns/state, and places like Frontier who own utility poles. It sounds like there is minimal communication judging by response efforts...and if there is communication its probably not very productive.  

1 hour ago, Ginx snewx said:

link? Edit

Two immediate thoughts while watching that  video:

1. Landscape!  Stop holding the phones vertically people!

2.  Why are you underneath the powerlines!  Agggghh!

(I realize this was not Ginx filming but rather whoever did- I assume it was this Scott P)

• Like 1

Just now, klw said:

(I realize this was not Ginx filming but rather whoever did)

1) That is annoying but that is something I do myself. I think part of the reason is you're getting caught up in the moment and the last thing you're thinking about is the proper position of the phone. Plus...the position of holding the phone vertical is natural to most people. When you're taking video of something that pumps adrenaline the last thing you're thinking is "oh crap I need to put my phone sideways"

2) I've caught myself in this position before. This is why when I go chasing around here I always position in an open parking lot where there are no trees or power lines around. I really try to get well ahead of the storm and pick a spot. I prefer not to drive in it b/c the rain is too intense...you never know when you'll encounter ponding or if you can even see a car in front of you or if someone will hit you from behind. 

During the 5/15/18 outbreak I was taking video outside at this restaurant and I look up and right above me was power lines...I quickly ran inside. Hell, the other day I was outside one of the doors at work and there were power lines above me so I quickly ran inside. 

• Like 2

Upright is a natural way to hold the phone so I can understand it happening as it does not seem to be lessening.  It thought for sure when the guy focused on how much the wires were shaking that he was going to move At least the trees were all upwind from the lines.

3 minutes ago, klw said:

Upright is a natural way to hold the phone so I can understand it happening as it does not seem to be lessening.  It thought for sure when the guy focused on how much the wires were shaking that he was going to move At least the trees were all upwind from the lines.

I get so pissed at myself though when I've realized I forgot to flip the phone sideways too. 

Speaking of that though...don't you need to flip the phone in the correct direction? Like if you have your phone out in front of you so the screen is facing you, it needs to be flipped to the right, correct? 

12 hours ago, Ginx snewx said:

Lol dude they estimated 15 to 20 % outage and got 75%. Epic fail

They basically took a gamble and lost big. Lineman make $50-75 an hour. When they bring crews in from out of state it cost a fortune. The lineman are on the clock 24/7 as soon as they leave. They are even paid when they are sleeping in hotel rooms overnight. They then get storm duty pay for actual work at 2  sometimes 3 times their regular pay. Lineman jump on out of state storm work as they make a fortune. Its a matter of the utilities bringing them in and paying for it.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

I get so pissed at myself though when I've realized I forgot to flip the phone sideways too. 

Speaking of that though...don't you need to flip the phone in the correct direction? Like if you have your phone out in front of you so the screen is facing you, it needs to be flipped to the right, correct? 

I have no idea which way it has to be flipped as I am almost always using a camera.  Such is life in areas with very spotty cell coverage.  It seems to me as long as the lens faces towards what you want to capture that the upsidedown issue auto corrects later.

6 minutes ago, klw said:

I have no idea which way it has to be flipped as I am almost always using a camera.  Such is life in areas with very spotty cell coverage.  It seems to me as long as the lens faces towards what you want to capture that the upsidedown issue auto corrects later.

I remember once having some weird issue if you flipped the phone to the left but the good news is you can easily edit and flip to the proper position. I do have a camcorder...not great but it's something. The plus about using your phone is you can instantly upload to YouTube and Social Media...the downside though is if that's your only source for tracking radar or communicating with others you're hit. I would love to get a high quality camera someday...I've always had a huge interest in photography. 

14 minutes ago, BrianW said:

They basically took a gamble and lost big. Lineman make $50-75 an hour. When they bring crews in from out of state it cost a fortune. The lineman are on the clock 24/7 as soon as they leave. They are even paid when they are sleeping in hotel rooms overnight. They then get storm duty pay for actual work at 2  sometimes 3 times their regular pay. Lineman jump on out of state storm work as they make a fortune. Its a matter of the utilities bringing them in and paying for it.

Interesting. I wondered why there always seemed to be crews from Iowa in Connecticut whenever something like this happens. I guess that's not a coincidence if the pay is really good.

27 minutes ago, BrianW said:

CEO made 13 million last year

• Thanks 1

Just now, Ginx snewx said:

So an example for @Hoth My road, they trimmed the tree across the street but not the one on the south side. These wires cross the street, they told me it was the towns problem.  I don't get it, maybe its me.

Screenshot_20200806-103744_Gallery.jpg

Sounds like the blame game. "It's not my responsibility, it's yours". Freaking clowns. 

51 minutes ago, klw said:

(I realize this was not Ginx filming but rather whoever did- I assume it was this Scott P)

Our local film / picture critic^^^^B)

• Like 2

1 minute ago, weatherwiz said:

Sounds like the blame game. "It's not my responsibility, it's yours". Freaking clowns. 

our town doesn't even have its own bucket truck, lol they share with Canterbury.  Disaster prep is a joke around here. I grew up in Westerly RI where its a priority,  I guess 38 had a lot to do with that since they had the highest death toll in the country from that.

3 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

our town doesn't even have its own bucket truck, lol they share with Canterbury.  Disaster prep is a joke around here. I grew up in Westerly RI where its a priority,  I guess 38 had a lot to do with that since they had the highest death toll in the country from that.

CT is literally nothing but an unorganized mess. Honestly, probably the only thing CT has seem to have done right is the response to COVID...though obviously there are some questionable aspects but given where we sit...can't complain. This state just flat out sucks though...there's a reason why people are fleeing the state in alarming numbers. It's almost impossible to drive down a street and not find at least several houses for sale. It kinda sucks too b/c there are some excellent communities in this state to raise a family. The cost of living makes it nearly impossible. Sometimes I really wonder if school and the debt was worth it. Between school loans, car payment, and car insurance that right there is more than enough to get a solid place with someone. CT just can't seem to do anything right...our emergency/disaster response is an absolute joke. just makes the thought even scarier for when we do get hit by a category 2 or 3. I see something like that coming...bye-bye, I'm out. 

4 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

CT is literally nothing but an unorganized mess. Honestly, probably the only thing CT has seem to have done right is the response to COVID...though obviously there are some questionable aspects but given where we sit...can't complain. This state just flat out sucks though...there's a reason why people are fleeing the state in alarming numbers. It's almost impossible to drive down a street and not find at least several houses for sale. It kinda sucks too b/c there are some excellent communities in this state to raise a family. The cost of living makes it nearly impossible. Sometimes I really wonder if school and the debt was worth it. Between school loans, car payment, and car insurance that right there is more than enough to get a solid place with someone. CT just can't seem to do anything right...our emergency/disaster response is an absolute joke. just makes the thought even scarier for when we do get hit by a category 2 or 3. I see something like that coming...bye-bye, I'm out. 

Don't let the door hit you on the way out.

• Haha 2

Checking in late as we were having our 2-day field trip in the BGR area.  If having a TC at field trip time, this on could not have been better timed.  A few light showers Tues. afternoon but all the real RA came 9P-3A and winds were meh, followed by perfect wx yesterday.  Gauge at home caught 0.71" and my wife reported strong winds, though the amount of twigs/leaves scattered around suggest peak gusts <40 mph.  Did lose our clothesline to a dead branch - disastah!

• Like 1

And my reference about leaving should a category 2/3 hit the state has to do with the aftermath. Power outages probably on the magnitude of months in many places, extend of the damage would be near catastrophic...I doubt there are many structures here that could withstand those winds...maybe the newest of buildings, you can bet there would be significant food shortage, gas shortage. 

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, hammerz_nailz said:

Don't let the door hit you on the way out.

Kind of a sad response and pretty typical attitude in Ct. Push the problem down the road it will fix itself. Sad state of affairs.  I won't leave because of family obligations but if you think its not all coming to a head you might want to do some research 

Wesport definitely has the most damage I have seen so far in my travels. Its a disaster there. Eversource is reporting 97% of the town has no power with 12,257 outages. 

It looks like weeks worth of work to cleanup all the trees and down wires. 

Does anyone know who is responsible when  huge tree on a homeowners property falls across the road? Seems they are everywhere and nothing is being done.