• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    PrinsWX
    Newest Member
    PrinsWX

Hurricane Isaias

Genny auto-shutoff for low oil.....had to weenie search for oil in the shed with phone light lol....found it and refilled so all good

35 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

That was a great storm. About a 4 hour period of really strong winds , with a 90 minute period of damaging gusts. Man did they damage . 

Sure did. This area is a mess.

So many roads closed in town. Just saw a FB post it took someone almost an hour to get to Ludlow (usually a 10 minute drive) due to all the road closures. Waiting to hear if the Quabbin access road is open. No point in trying to do anything else. 

13 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Several homes in my neighborhood alone have trees into house 

Same. There was a very impressive maple up the street from me that looks like it was stepped on by a giant. Just shredded, and most of it on my neighbor's house.

17 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

2nd largest power outage in CT behind the Oct snowstorm. This one was a crusher 

Forecasts for this were 100% spot on. I don't think they could have been any better. You gotta put things into perspective...sure we get several 50-60 mph wind events a year...but just about all of them occur from fall - spring...when trees aren't fully leaved. When it became obvious how long we were going to be ripping 50-60+ mph gusts you knew we were in for some serious damage. Even an hour of 50-60+ mph gusts in the summer is going to do significant damage. All you have to do is picture what 50-60 mph t'storm gusts do...which last maybe a few minutes at most to understand what this was going to do. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

And from a TS lol. Imagine even a strong cat 1 into BDR. Winds 50-55kts mostly too.

This is serious an extremely scary thought. I think the scariest aspect of it is how the general public would respond to these communications. 

What a shitty storm. Still no power. Sent the wife and kids to grandma’s in WeHa last night. Spent 4 hours cleaning yesterday. Several trees down on the property so I’ll have to spend money to get them removed. Tossing food into coolers but some will get thrown out. Have to find a public spot to work remotely today during covid. 2020 can’t get any worse. FTS. 

• Sad 4

1 hour ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Several homes in my neighborhood alone have trees into house 

Mine too. I was wrong, you were right.

• Sad 1

10 minutes ago, CT Rain said:

Well that was wild. Bigger winds here than with Irene or Sandy. Tons of damage throughout town.

Good job communicating the potential

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, JC-CT said:

Good job communicating the potential

There may not be anyone else on TV who does as excellent of a job as Ryan does. Not only does he communicate potential extremely well but he has the gift of being able to toss in science/meteorology and explain it so easily. Not too mention how he handles live events...especially severe weather...being able to show and explain dual-pol radar on air. 

• Like 4

Still puzzled how anyone enjoys this but ok.

Forecasts were spot on. With so many communities in the region placed into and surrounded by forrests, It doesn’t take much to cause damage though. If we ever have a slow moving cat1/2 cane, it would practically delete our livelyhoods. Have fun with that. 

More cleanup today. Riveting stuff. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

I can't help but marvel at the power of nature when it shows itself. It's not like we can do anything about it if we wanted to.

I don't enjoy the aftermath.

14 minutes ago, CT Rain said:

Well that was wild. Bigger winds here than with Irene or Sandy. Tons of damage throughout town.

Peak gust yesterday was 43 kts.  There was only about 60min of strongest winds and they were no where near that high.  Virtually no rain,

Irene peak gust for me was 50kts and the storm lasted far longer with higher sustained winds, which brought more damage.

Sandy only had a peak of 41kts but lasted longer as well.  I don't recall that much damage with this one

Both brought far more rain here which would contribute to trees coming down easier.

• Weenie 1

11 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Forecasts were spot on. With so many communities in the region placed into and surrounded by forrests, It doesn’t take much to cause damage though. If we ever have a slow moving cat1/2 cane, it would practically delete our livelyhoods. Have fun with that. 

More cleanup today. Riveting stuff. 

We knew west was best.

1 minute ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

Peak gust yesterday was 43 kts.  There was only about 60min of strongest winds and they were no where near that high.  Virtually no rain,

Irene peak gust for me was 50kts and the storm lasted far longer with higher sustained winds, which brought more damage.

Sandy only had a peak of 41kts but lasted longer as well.  I don't recall that much damage with this one

Both brought far more rain here which would contribute to trees coming down easier.

Was more convective in nature, I think. GHG was 55kts. Logan 46kts. But ironically I think weaker winds were near the Cape, opposite Irene.

• Like 1