• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Bobby Orr
    Newest Member
    Bobby Orr

Tropical connection NYC forum area Sun-Wed, 8/2-5/20- Tropical Storm Isaias

11 minutes ago, tdp146 said:

Just got an email from PSEG.  If we really do get the severe wind impacts out here, regular people really are not aware. 

PSEG Long Island has been monitoring Isaias around the clock and our latest projections show that this storm has been escalating in strength and has the potential to cause a significant number of power outages. We now anticipate that this storm may be one of the strongest to reach Long Island in years and some outages could last for an extended period.

The energy grid is much stronger now than it was just a few years ago, but we are prepared to respond to any outages safely and as quickly as possible with our own crews and additional utility crews that we are bringing in from off-island.

I honestly don't get how there isn't more concern for the wind impact on LI, especially along the immediate south shore by most people/media outlets. Yes, those Euro/UK maps are waaaaay overdone but with the wind direction coming straight off the Atlantic thanks to the western track, LI could really get slammed here.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, BombsAway1288 said:

I honestly don't get how there isn't more concern for the wind impact on LI, especially along the immediate south shore by most people/media outlets. Yes, those Euro/UK maps are waaaaay overdone but with the wind direction coming straight off the Atlantic thanks to the western track, LI could really get slammed here.

This is where the recent heat wave and warm SSTs come into play. Allows for steeper low level lapse rates to tap into the low level jet. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BombsAway1288 said:

That’s the main takeaway. This isn’t like most storms in the past were the strongest winds were from the NE or E. It’s going to be a straight onshore wind with minimal loss from land friction. I expect tree damage and power outages will be wide spread. The one saving grace is the fact that sandy took out so many large old trees. 

Brooklyn NY point and click forecast

2-4 inches of rain with 40-50 mph winds with gusts to 70.

12 minutes ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

That’s the main takeaway. This isn’t like most storms in the past were the strongest winds were from the NE or E. It’s going to be a straight onshore wind with minimal loss from land friction. I expect tree damage and power outages will be wide spread. The one saving grace is the fact that sandy took out so many large old trees. 

You don’t necessarily always mix down winds on S or SE flow.  I suspect the event being during the day will help somewhat but we’ve seen plenty of events similar to this which underachieve somewhat 

11 minutes ago, purduewx80 said:

This is where the recent heat wave and warm SSTs come into play. Allows for steeper low level lapse rates to tap into the low level jet. 

Thanks for bolstering my argument and teaching the knowledge you have that my brain couldn't muster up enough as an 18 y/o going into college.

11 minutes ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

Exactly. Good point about clear-out Sandy did. Certainly took out most of/all of the weaker tree's in my hometown in NE Bergen County when I was still living there. Never forget that storm

1 hour ago, uofmiami said:

Surprised it wasn't cancelled already, it will be later tonight most likely.

Well I just needed to wait. Flight just cancelled. Guess it’s more than some windy rain.

• Like 1

BULLETIN
Hurricane Isaias Intermediate Advisory Number 27A
NWS National Hurricane Center Miami FL       AL092020
800 PM EDT Mon Aug 03 2020

...ISAIAS REGAINS HURRICANE STRENGTH AND IS EXPECTED TO MAKE
LANDFALL TONIGHT WITH DANGEROUS WINDS AND STORM SURGE...
...STRONG WINDS AND HEAVY RAINFALL LIKELY FROM THE EASTERN
CAROLINAS TO THE MID-ATLANTIC COAST TONIGHT AND TUESDAY...

SUMMARY OF 800 PM EDT...0000 UTC...INFORMATION
----------------------------------------------
LOCATION...32.8N 79.0W
ABOUT 60 MI...100 KM E OF CHARLESTON SOUTH CAROLINA
ABOUT 60 MI...100 KM S OF MYRTLE BEACH SOUTH CAROLINA
MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS...75 MPH...120 KM/H
PRESENT MOVEMENT...NNE OR 15 DEGREES AT 16 MPH...26 KM/H
MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE...988 MB...29.18 INCHES

1 minute ago, David-LI said:

Is this part of Isaias already?

It’s a combination of the trough and moisture streaming north from the hurricane. PRE.