Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
August 2020 Discussion

Baroclinic Zone

7 minutes ago, backedgeapproaching said:

Your going to need a crash course on the microclimates up there..  Alex is king radiator.

That's true. A 10-12 degrees difference last night from the CoCoRaHS sites seems hard to believe, though. That's a large variance. I am not doubting anyone's readings or integrity.

I was at 54 degrees for the low last night at 1,500 ft, so a 10 degree drop from that is impressive.

2 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

That's true. A 10-12 degrees difference last night from the CoCoRaHS sites seems hard to believe, though. That's a large variance. I am not doubting anyone's readings or integrity.

I was at 54 degrees for the low last night at 1,500 ft, so a 10 degree drop from that is impressive.

Whitefield NH, which is a rad pit, was 44F last night.  Guess your on some type of hill which isnt going to radiate much. 1500' isnt created equal in NNE. Alex at 1500' will radiate like crazy being in an elevated valley, you at 1500' maybe not, guess we will se moving forward.

For those of you concerned by the cool morning, rest assured that the Euro and GFS are in agreement of no snow the next 10 days.

sn10_acc.us_ne.png

sn10_acc.us_ne.png

While I have not tracked the GFS performance in this regard, Euro was dead on re July snowfall.  It is on a roll!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Yeah the terrain is so steep in the whites there that you can have massive radiational cooling differences over small distances. 

It'll be interesting to keep comparing stats as we go into fall and winter to see which setups favor which locations for temp drops day to day. My weather station runs pretty close to accurate at least against the CoCoRaHS station up the road.

Not questioning anyone's readings, I am new to the area and couldn't imagine such a large variance over like 15 miles at the same elevation. That just doesn't happen in southern areas.

7 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

It'll be interesting to keep comparing stats as we go into fall and winter to see which setups favor which locations for temp drops day to day. My weather station runs pretty close to accurate at least against the CoCoRaHS station up the road.

Not questioning anyone's readings, I am new to the area and couldn't imagine such a large variance over like 15 miles at the same elevation. That just doesn't happen in southern areas.

Yeah it all depends on the relative location to the terrain around you. If you are on a local hill at 1500, it won’t radiate nearly as well as a local depression at 1500. Around there, you have such steep hills and mountains, that the differences get magnified.

You prob radiate decent being generally between two large mountains but not as well as down the road along rt 2 in a relative depression. 

26 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Yeah the terrain is so steep in the whites there that you can have massive radiational cooling differences over small distances. 

Doesn't always take large differences in elevation.  On still clear Fort Kent winter mornings, my commute from the back settlement at 970' led east and then due north so I could see the cedar mill and its cone burner across the river in Clair, NB.  If there was a smoke layer about 50 yards above that burner, I knew it would be 10-15F colder at our riverside office (about 540') than it had been at home.

55 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Yeah it all depends on the relative location to the terrain around you. If you are on a local hill at 1500, it won’t radiate nearly as well as a local depression at 1500. Around there, you have such steep hills and mountains, that the differences get magnified.

You prob radiate decent being generally between two large mountains but not as well as down the road along rt 2 in a relative depression. 

Then there is the wind to consider.  When we lived in Peacham, the coldest night we had was right after a frontal passage and the wind was up.  It prevented the cold air just sinking below us like it would on calm nights.  We quickly got to about to -28.  On a calm morning, we would often be 7 to 10f warmer than just half mile away where the elevation flattened out about 300' lower than our house.

So many variables.

edit: and so many typos

• Thanks 1

Those local difference really show up on the winter with a good snowpack. I've seen the First Lake coop run 10-15+ lower than johnsnhweather. Hes less than a mile away and about 150' higher.

Looks like his house is for sale too, which is too bad. Quite the weenie spot and a nice house. 

Even in the "tropics" of SNE I've seen some pretty wild temp variance with deep snowpack in place. Growing up, my area was a pit relative to the surrounding terrain. I recall instances where I could be as much 10 degrees colder than other backyard sites just a couple miles away and ~150'-200' ft higher up. Not a common occurrence by any stretch, but when it would go calm imby it would really tank, while a little higher up it wasn't able to decouple.