Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
August 2020 Discussion

Baroclinic Zone

43 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

Good find.  So it wasn't manual.  Still hard to believe 1.23" in 1 minute and only 2.84" in a 50-minute period.  I would've expected a bigger 1-hour total from a storm dropping 1.23" in 1 minute. 

_____

"It is hard to imagine how an accurate measurement of precipitation over a 60-second period can be made. However, the U.S. Weather Bureau conducted several exhaustive studies of the Unionville, Maryland claim to 1.23” in one minute on July 4, 1956 and determined it to be accurate (see for the Monthly Weather Review summary). A recording rain gauge: A Friez Universal Type with a 12-inch capacity, dual traverse pen, and 24-hour clock gear on a chart drum was used to make the measurement. It had good exposure and measured a storm total of 3.60” between 2:50 p.m and 11:30 p.m. with 2.84” of this falling in a 50-minute period between 2:50-3:40 p.m. The minute that ostensibly measured the 1.23” total occurred around 3:22-3:23 p.m. Here is a copy of the trace:
unionville.jpg

• Like 1

1 minute ago, PhineasC said:

Yeah, it probably happens with some regularity in mountainous rain forest areas where there is no one around to monitor it. The Mid-Atlantic is not the actual hotspot for this stuff. LOL

The Himalayas (below the snow level of course) during monsoon season are a good bet for the record. They get absolutely unreal precip for a few months of the year. 

• Weenie 1

I'm sure the numbers pale in comparison to these.....but does anyone recall that thunderstorm that parked over Keene a while back (maybe 10 or more years?).  I don't recall the totals but I do remember it was a ton.  Again, I'm sure that total will pale in comparison to the record amounts talked about here.

13 hours ago, klw said:

My memory is that years ago (80s or early 90s) a small town in Southern New Jersey claimed to have recorded 25 inches in 5 hours when a Tstorm just sat over it.  I have been unable to have found any mention of it when I have searched so my memory could be wrong.

Edit: Weather.com claims NJ record is 14.8 inches in 24 hours so it could be the report was wrong, never verified, or my memory is off or all three.

https://weather.com/news/climate/news/extreme-rainfall-precipitation-recorded-50-states

A station in western VA recorded 26" in 5 hours from the remains of Camille.  30-40% of that 'cane's fatalities came from VA flash floods.

For stalled TS in odd places I'd note CAR getting >6.5" in 2.5 hours on 8/17/1981.  That was a strange system in many ways.  Co-workers at Russell Stream (upper Allagash River) reported heavy RA at 8 AM, the CAR blitz was 10-12:30, another co-worker at the US border with St.-Pamphile, PQ had RA+ 1-4 PM and in Fort Kent we got 2" from 6 to 8 PM.  Next morning I drove thru Dickey (western part of the town of Allagash) and up the Hafey Mountain Road, and hit dusty going about 1/4 mile north of the St. John.

34 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Dog days. I could already feel yesterday at midday how much bite the sun had lost. The darker mornings suck. 

It's the way it goes.  Sure there will still be some heat, but there's a change in the air.  Later morning, earlier night.  Losing nearly 2.5 minutes of daylight daily,

I can put up with a few days of warmth.  Despite the bombastic claims of others, the days are numbered.