Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
July Discobs 2020

George BM

43 minutes ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

I remember that 1980 heat wave like it was yesterday. I was a rising high school senior who made his pocket change like most did by mowing grass and doing other outdoor work. And then spent as much time as possible at the public pool. That heat wave was a beast.

05A5B7F0-577E-4B84-9BE1-491E68FB7B2A.png.2bdd9b774e4792d13dbaecbd8d6b3581.png

I also have vivid memories of the 1988 heat wave also. By then I was teaching and coaching and two a day football practice was quite an ordeal that August.

Another kind of day today where you'd expect relatively uniform temps and we got 'em.

DCA 90
BWI 90
IAD 89

I think persistence at a level rarely seen is worth more than many but agree it's kinda eh so far as far as long-term memorability (which honestly might be a sign of where we are and where we are going as much as anything else). I'd be at peace if we fail... although I am curious to see how high we can build it back up if we don't. If for some reason it goes four weeks or whatever that's pretty impressive no matter what. Arguably this is a low-hanging fruit record for DC anyway. BWI did 25 in 1995. I bet a lot of whiners on social media complained about the temp gauges then. ;) 

48 minutes ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

I remember that 1980 heat wave like it was yesterday. I was a rising high school senior who made his pocket change like most did by mowing grass and doing other outdoor work. And then spent as much time as possible at the public pool. That heat wave was a beast.

I also have vivid memories of the 1988 heat wave also. By then I was teaching and coaching and two a day football practice was quite an ordeal that August.

We are the same age. I was working on a golf course that summer doing a lot of weed whacking. Fortunately, by mid-summer, I got trusted to be the sprinkler guy. The automated system didn’t work so I drove around a golf cart with a hex drive turning on and off fairway sprinklers while my buddies cursed me doing the grunt work. They’d find golf balls in the tall weeds and then I’d sell them at the tees so we could out to Chesapeake Bay Seafood House for ayce crab legs and crappy Stroh’s beer.

Good times.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

44 minutes ago, George BM said:

@WinterWxLuvr

Do you have memory of the July 5th derecho that year (1980)?

Currently 87/54 at IAD.

I actually lived in swva then. I was a high school teen and had my mind elsewhere. The only thing that stands out was the daily heat and sun and never any chance of rain. I think we were well within the heat bubble down there and those derechos only occurred around the periphery.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, nw baltimore wx said:

We are the same age. I was working on a golf course that summer doing a lot of weed whacking. Fortunately, by mid-summer, I got trusted to be the sprinkler guy. The automated system didn’t work so I drove around a golf cart with a hex drive turning on and off fairway sprinklers while my buddies cursed me doing the grunt work. They’d find golf balls in the tall weeds and then I’d sell them at the tees so we could out to Chesapeake Bay Seafood House for ayce crab legs and crappy Stroh’s beer.

Good times.

Dude, for whatever reason that post has me envisioning you as Carl from Caddyshack :lol:

• Like 1

5 hours ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

1980 finally was eclipsed but still us exceptional.  This one is tepid compared to average temps of many others. I think it was 2010 or 11 where the lowest max in the streak was 97.

66 here this morning. Very nice out.

With a surface ridge just east of NE, looks like a back door front pushes in this afternoon. Should keep the legit warm/humid air at bay until Friday, esp for eastern areas.

This upcoming stretch looks to be on the uncomfortable side due to high dew points, more so than legit heat. Looks like there will be enough frontal action moving through with some rain chances to keep high temps generally closer to 90 than 95, at least initially. Next week the whole region gets torchy, as a legit Bermuda high sets up shop.

9 hours ago, nw baltimore wx said:

Took a 20 minute drive to Mappy land to see the comet and the ISS pass over. ISS seemed so close! Crappy picture of course, but here’s the comet through my iPhone.

DC679808-80D6-491D-B8F5-C4E99C27482D.jpeg.de293c1761e5462ce3c09e9874416b3a.jpeg

I’m jealous! Saw ISS, Jupiter, and Saturn but could not find the comet. Some low clouds on the horizon and light pollution probably were the reason why. 

11 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

I’m jealous! Saw ISS, Jupiter, and Saturn but could not find the comet. Some low clouds on the horizon and light pollution probably were the reason why. 

Surprisingly I was able to see that comet at 10 pm from Takoma Park/Silver Spring.  I had to use binoculars because of the streetlights though.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, dailylurker said:

The DC heat streak is totally weak. It has actually been pretty nice so far this summer. That may change next week.

It isn't necessarily representative of the general area, but then that's not the point.

I have had relatively few 90 degree days here, but plenty of mid to upper 80s, and  some of those days were stifling because of high dew points. But yeah this summer has been very easy to take so far.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, WxUSAF said:

The impending conjunction of Saturn and Jupiter is very cool. This is what it looked like last night through the eyes of my SkyView Light app.

image.png.3401df70fe83ff820d4300545416c67f.png

2 hours ago, Rhino16 said:

How high up was it at the time it was taken?

We had a wide open view over a corn field and it was below the Big Dipper, and slightly left, about a fist or two above the horizon at arm’s length at about 9:45.

Depending on the skies, we might try to find a better location this evening. Maybe
Falling Branch Brewery. I think they are open until 9 and maybe they’ll let us stay on the farm until 10.

16 hours ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

This is one of my favorite things about living up here though. In Louisiana, the year I left, we had 110 straight days with 90 degree highs or higher. I love that the 90 degree weather is limited here.

It has been rather warm lately, but I've actually found in recent days we've had a lot of nice drier days so it hasn't been as oppressive as it could otherwise be.

2 hours ago, dailylurker said:

The DC heat streak is totally weak. It has actually been pretty nice so far this summer. That may change next week.

for the immediate DC metro, this is the new normal for us from late June-Aug:

highs in the low to occasionally mid 90s
lows in the low/mid 70s

it's basically a similar climate to the NC piedmont, but we are more humid due to our proximity to water.

1 hour ago, pazzo83 said:

for the immediate DC metro, this is the new normal for us from late June-Aug:

highs in the low to occasionally mid 90s
lows in the low/mid 70s

it's basically a similar climate to the NC piedmont, but we are more humid due to our proximity to water.

If anything our humidity seems to be increasing lately with proximity to warming bay/ocean etc. 94/78 on the reg woo. ;p 

26 minutes ago, Ian said:

If anything our humidity seems to be increasing lately with proximity to warming bay/ocean etc. 94/78 on the reg woo. ;p 

Yeah Maryland summer is starting to remind me of summer in Louisiana.  It was always a nice slap in the face when the low temp was 80 with 100% humidity.  Sweating becomes a way of life.

88.3/70.4 currently on the shore.

11 minutes ago, pazzo83 said:

yeah now all we need now is a few 80F lows and we are all set

oh it's coming. we also kept the 70+ streak alive last night which seemed it could be close. american models still not a fan of tomorrow. national blend is 88 for DCA. would be classic #DCing. last night it was 91 for today -- will check back later. ;) 

2 minutes ago, Ian said:

oh it's coming. we also kept the 70+ streak alive last night which seemed it could be close. american models still not a fan of tomorrow. national blend is 88 for DCA. would be classic #DCing. last night it was 91 for today -- will check back later. ;) 

12z NAM was definitely warmer than yesterday's runs (87/88), so it is at least giving it a chance.  The 12z HRRR looks like about 88 and the 12z GFS is 88 for IAD (the land surface scheme for the metro areas is exaggerating things).  Euro as of the 00z run was still 91.

You are right though, an 89 would be the way we roll around here.

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic