• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    LostInSomers
    Newest Member
    LostInSomers

July Discobs 2020

40 minutes ago, nw baltimore wx said:

.12” here too, with a meager .32” for these last two days that I had high hopes for, and still less than an inch for July. I guess this is payback for getting the goods in June.

That's how we roll with precip in the summer. It tends to even out, but going dry this time of year for weeks sucks. Happened here last July, even before the more widespread drought started.

• Like 1

got clipped by a storm around 730 that dropped out of PA but missed me east. Nothing else otherwise. 

1.95" last evening through this morning.  Just moved from Remington, VA to a new log home off of Harpers Ferry Road in western Loudoun.  Can someone recommend which Davis weather station is the best bang for the buck.

After another round of legit heat and humidity Sunday - Tuesday, the h5 pattern for the end of the month into early August looks like it will bring generally tolerable temps and humidity levels, and maybe some chances for rain.

gfs-ens_z500a_us_35.png

• Like 1

DCA up past 6" now on the month. Funny since half of the grass here is burnt to a crisp. 

Just now, Ian said:

DCA up past 6" now on the month. Funny since half of the grass here is burnt to a crisp. 

I know it doesn't seem to matter much here either. Happens every year at this time. High sun and torchy temps.

7 minutes ago, CAPE said:

I know it doesn't seem to matter much here either. Happens every year at this time. High sun and torchy temps.

yeah it's rather common at some point from mid-summer to early fall or so. seems moreso lately tho. 

11 minutes ago, Ian said:

yeah it's rather common at some point from mid-summer to early fall or so. seems moreso lately tho. 

Ever been to Texas in summer? It would surprise you how brown their grass is. You'd think nature would adapt to where it lives. Relevant to us, not sure what it means that we are getting brown grass during the summers..

20 minutes ago, Subtropics said:

Ever been to Texas in summer? It would surprise you how brown their grass is. You'd think nature would adapt to where it lives. Relevant to us, not sure what it means that we are getting brown grass during the summers..

Yeah I lived there for a few years as a teen. The subtropical ridge extensions tend to set up shop over that region so it often is cloudless during peak heat season. a good recipe to fry grass etc. Our climate is generally wet year round in comparison, but late summer/early fall in particular can be quite dry. It's not unusual historically but the frequency/intensity does seem to be on the increase. 

1 hour ago, Subtropics said:

Grass going dormant (brown) during the summer is the adaption to the climate in that region.  

In many instances the grass we grow in our yards is non-native so it is not adapted to our local climate and needs more watering and nutrients to survive.  This is compounded by newer, mid 90s on, developments completely stripping top soil and compacting subsoil.  The top soil is replaced but basically you have 6 inches of soil and greatly reduced water holding capacity.  It is striking to see water running out of lawns after a rainfall even during dry periods because the there is no water storage capacity.  

There is research being completed by UMBC researchers  on how to create better soil health in residential and urban areas to reduce runoff and increase the health of lawns and recreational green spaces.

Sorry this is banter delete if needed.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, CAPE said:

After another round of legit heat and humidity Sunday - Tuesday, the h5 pattern for the end of the month into early August looks like it will bring generally tolerable temps and humidity levels, and maybe some chances for rain.

Wonder if relative to averages  we will have seen the worse of the heat after  early next week.  Have to ponder the possibilities for later August and September. The driest part of the year waits ahead for us, but on the other hand  you have to respect the the odds of tropical moisture coming our way, whether directly or indirectly.   

• Like 1

8 hours ago, WxUSAF said:

That dumped 0.5” in 30mins last night. Thunder and lightning show from the DC storms and then the ones that developed over us was just wild. Haven’t seen anything like that in a long time.

I only recorded 3/10” but I think my cheapie rain gage is suspect. 

Southern NJ and also the MD beaches getting pummeled this afternoon.

Just had a very brief downpour here.

0.35" since midnight, and 1.45" for the week. 5.33" for the month so far.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SnowtoRain said:

Grass going dormant (brown) during the summer is the adaption to the climate in that region.  

In many instances the grass we grow in our yards is non-native so it is not adapted to our local climate and needs more watering and nutrients to survive.  This is compounded by newer, mid 90s on, developments completely stripping top soil and compacting subsoil.  The top soil is replaced but basically you have 6 inches of soil and greatly reduced water holding capacity.  It is striking to see water running out of lawns after a rainfall even during dry periods because the there is no water storage capacity.  

There is research being completed by UMBC researchers  on how to create better soil health in residential and urban areas to reduce runoff and increase the health of lawns and recreational green spaces.

Sorry this is banter delete if needed.

I have tried about every blend of tall fescue, including local blends specifically formulated for the soils of the eastern shore (Talbot Ag). They were horrible lol. Burned up by June. All blends fail in the direct sun areas during the high sun period of summer. Now I am in the woods, with very well drained soil, so that is an issue. The pH is good, and i feed correctly. Best results I have had is with original Black Beauty, but it also fails in the direct sun areas. I am going to reseed in a few weeks in those areas (thatch now) with their "sunny" blend, and see how that does.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, [email protected] said:

I only recorded 3/10” but I think my cheapie rain gage is suspect. 

My neighbors PWS seems pretty good most of the time. But I think it was way off in Wednesday afternoons storm where it only reported like 0.06” during a 30min deluge. I suspect it was the wind. 

79 here, but still humid.

Pretty decent line of storms moving south over here. See if it holds together. Might pick up a bit more rain this evening.

2 hours ago, CAPE said:

Best results I have had is with original Black Beauty, but it also fails in the direct sun areas

True. Hard to combat the high sun angle. With decreasing sun angle getting under way and longer nights coming up the reseeding shall begin. Black Beauty is pretty good.

On a weather related note bluewave posted something very interesting a week back that the dews/humidity levels are  rising  since the last Super Nino. I imagine that may play into the higher overnight minimums in the summer, and the growing issue of  mildew, plant fungus , etc.  

So far this has been the case from back in May :

5 minutes ago, Bodhi Cove said:

So far, it's not as bad as it looks.

Screenshot_20200724-183424.png

Eye?? Surprised there's no hurricane warnings issued there!

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, JakkelWx said:

Eye?? Surprised there's no hurricane warnings issued there!

Not an eye, just a breaching whale stirring things up.  :raining:

Screenshot_20200724-185935.png

• Like 1

3 hours ago, WxUSAF said:

My neighbors PWS seems pretty good most of the time. But I think it was way off in Wednesday afternoons storm where it only reported like 0.06” during a 30min deluge. I suspect it was the wind. 

I recorded 0.31”on Wednesday also.

Only 0.61” total Wed and Thurs. 

Slate gray clouds and booming coming from the north now. 

3 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

Some major flooding in Baltimore. Water rescues in progress apparently.

Multiple swift water rescues ongoing

11 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

Some major flooding in Baltimore. Water rescues in progress apparently.

7 minutes ago, yoda said:

Multiple swift water rescues ongoing

Flash Flood Statement
National Weather Service Baltimore MD/Washington DC
709 PM EDT Fri Jul 24 2020

MDC005-510-250230-
/O.CON.KLWX.FF.W.0023.000000T0000Z-200725T0230Z/
/00000.0.ER.000000T0000Z.000000T0000Z.000000T0000Z.OO/
Baltimore City MD-Baltimore MD-
709 PM EDT Fri Jul 24 2020

...THE FLASH FLOOD WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 1030 PM EDT FOR
SOUTH CENTRAL BALTIMORE COUNTY AND NORTHEASTERN BALTIMORE CITY...

At 706 PM EDT, Doppler radar indicated thunderstorms producing heavy
rain across the area. Two to three inches of rain have fallen.
Additional rainfall amounts of one to two inches are possible in the
warned area. City emergency management reports multiple swift water
rescues on Kain Street as well as Pulaski Highway. Flash flooding is
ongoing at this time.

HAZARD...Life threatening flash flooding. Heavy rain producing flash
         flooding.

SOURCE...Radar indicated.

IMPACT...Life threatening flash flooding of creeks and streams,
         urban areas, highways, streets and underpasses.

Some locations that may experience flooding include...
Baltimore...                      Dundalk...
Essex...                          Rosedale...
Rossville...                      Eastpoint...

PRELIMINARY LOCAL STORM REPORT
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BALTIMORE MD/WASHINGTON DC
754 PM EDT FRI JUL 24 2020

..TIME...   ...EVENT...      ...CITY LOCATION...     ...LAT.LON...
..DATE...   ....MAG....      ..COUNTY LOCATION..ST.. ...SOURCE....
            ..REMARKS..

0700 PM     FLASH FLOOD      FELLS POINT             39.26N  76.56W
07/24/2020                   BALTIMORE CITY     MD   FIRE DEPT/RESCUE

THREE WATER RESUCES IN THE FELLS POINT AREA.

&&

EVENT NUMBER LWX2001697