Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
July 2020 Discussion

Baroclinic Zone

11 minutes ago, dendrite said:

heh. It seems like on a coarse global scale the model physics always want to torch us toward d10, but we all know how those nuances sneak into the flow as we close in and we get those sneaky BDs or late digging troughs that offer just a bit of relief. There’s a whole lotta land to our west and that ridge generally prefers to feed off of itself out there...and then the natural wavelengths tend to want to recede heights our way especially with cooler waters to our NE. Of course you can basically reverse that terminology for winter. 

Yeah in all seriousness it's pretty clear this takes place...particularly in summer. 

But I think you're right also in that the models might tend to "smooth" things...and then that sort of falsely intuits a longer wave length/R-count ...and the summer is just too nebular to expect that to A ...hold in the runs, or B ...exist.. haha.  but you know what mean. 

But sometimes it happens... the big heat in 1995 and 2012 ...these had mammouth long r-wave lengths with Sonoran expulsion caught up in an anomalous STR..  What's funny, NE was spared big heat in either one of those...  

I'm almost thinking 4 days of 100 heat ...bookended by 2 days of 90s at either end has a longer return rate than a 1978 blizzards...  if that can geophysically happen at all around here.

1 minute ago, PhineasC said:

Neat view from the base of wildcat. 

76B54AFA-8D17-4F0A-A3EC-5C2213481E1E.thumb.jpeg.211a4c624436037850d37ea4c3061c6b.jpeg

Looks like tuckermans still has some decent sized snow fields. It’s weird from year to year...I remember going there around this time in 2014 and there was no snow left (at least visible...prob some hidden patches remained).

Yet in 2020 when they’ve had record warmth for a chunk of June, they have large fields still visible, lol...

Granted, it was damned cold in April and first half of May, so maybe that played a factor. 

1 hour ago, Ginx snewx said:

Ryan, Wiz versus Tippy

Reminds me of the 60’s western with Tippy as Paladin, the Richard Boone role. A slight change to the lyrics and your set to go. Have barometer will travel reads the card of a man. A knight without umbrella in a warming land. I know, I know, I’m old I couldn’t help myself. As always....

2 hours ago, CoastalWx said:

I saw a video of people skiing Tucks the other day. I’m not sure what the “climo” is for snow there, but like Will said...given all the warmth, it looked impressive. 

I have friends that have skied it in August. 

It was a weird end of the season... on one hand, there was very cold weather and pretty decent snows from April through mid-May.  Then there was that obscene record heat like the 3rd week of May, but there were also some very cold shots relatively speaking in there too... we'd go from highs in the 90s to highs in the 50s and then back the other way.  That usually meant the high ground was in the 30s or even sub-freezing during those cold shots, but they'd also be 65-85F during the hot times.

To be honest, the piles of snow this year and huge drifts seemed to last just as normal despite the high heat times.  There are just so many factors that go into it. 

I also think we managed to "average" normal for a long time despite the heat because of the rebound cool shots...it was weird how it evened out until recently when it's flipped decidedly warmer than normal in the means.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

I have friend's that have skied it in August. 

It was a weird end of the season... on one hand, there was very cold weather and pretty decent snows from April through mid-May.  Then there was that obscene record heat like the 3rd week of May, but there were also some very cold shots relatively speaking in there too... we'd go from highs in the 90s to highs in the 50s and then back the other way.  That usually meant the high ground was in the 30s or even sub-freezing during those cold shots, but they'd also be 65-85F during the hot times.

To be honest, the piles of snow this year and huge drifts seemed to last just as normal despite the high heat times.  There are just so many factors that go into it. 

I also think we managed to "average" normal for a long time despite the heat because of the rebound cool shots...it was weird how it evened out until recently when it's flipped decidedly warmer than normal in the means.

that's wild and impressive......

3 hours ago, rclab said:

Reminds me of the 60’s western with Tippy as Paladin, the Richard Boone role. A slight change to the lyrics and your set to go. Have barometer will travel reads the card of a man. A knight without umbrella in a warming land. I know, I know, I’m old I couldn’t help myself. As always....

Vs tippy  ?? Wtf

not sure what I got roped into there but I guess game on ...