• Member Statistics

    16,105
    Total Members
    7,904
    Most Online
    corvairbob
    Newest Member
    corvairbob
    Joined
Sign in to follow this  
ORH_wxman

Winter 2020-2021

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, MarkO said:

Anyone have a map of how NE did in 10/11? Who were the winners and losers?

Kind of meh here other than the 15" dump on 4/1.  Prior to that snow was essentially on the average (within 1/2") with 8.9" the biggest event.  Was tough watching the AUG/WVL/BGR confirmed blizzards on 12/27 and 1/12, totaling about 30" for those places while we had nice 7-8" storms with modest winds.  Temps ran slightly BN but with no notable cold snaps.  Most memorable thing about that winter was driving into AUG on Boxing Day as conditions got worse and worse, leading my wife to cancel her PWM doctor appt.  Within 5 miles on the way north visibility was up to 1/2 mile (was <100' outside the North Augusta Wendy's) and barely snowing at home.
And 02-03 was cold and dry here, with only November getting AN snowfall.  Suppression depression?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, weathafella said:

2010-11 was home to one of my all time melts on the eve of getting 15 inches.

Oh yea I remember that well lol. Muthha fers thrown around like flakes in a blizzard 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, MarkO said:

Anyone have a map of how NE did in 10/11? Who were the winners and losers?

Will had one in here but must have deleted it.  You can scroll thru the posts to get an idea.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Ginx snewx said:

Will had one in here but must have deleted it.  You can scroll thru the posts to get an idea.

 

Oh man, Ryan and Tippy melt on that storm there. LOL.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I lost the 2010-2011 snow map forever unless someone saved it. It was on my old laptop and somehow it didn't make it over to my new one years ago and I didn't have an archived copy on here.

Only way it still exists is if someone saved it for themselves.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

I lost the 2010-2011 snow map forever unless someone saved it. It was on my old laptop and somehow it didn't make it over to my new one years ago and I didn't have an archived copy on here.

Only way it still exists is if someone saved it for themselves.

Ugh maybe Dr Dews has it after that epic fight over 5 inches. Lol I got goose bumps seeing this though

radmap.png

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Snowstorms said:

May 2020 was the snowiest on record here, but November wasn't even top 10. We lucked out. Except for Mar/Apr, we were average to above average every month snow wise. Jan-Feb 2019 was awesome. We got 42" in those 2 months. If I had to choose between the last two winters and 2004-05, I'd pick 2004-05. Had that nice storm right before Christmas and a few good storms in Jan and Feb 05. El Nino's up this way compared to Detroit are usually half and half, some good and some bad. For example 2006-07, 2009-10 and 2015-16 were sub 30" winters. 

But 2004-05 was an El Nino winter coming off a warm neutral and preceding Nino before that. So different oceanic states compared to this year. 

November was thanks to the 9.2" snowstorm on November 11th. The fact that record cold followed it created beautiful scenes. You had a nice deep powder snow pack, glistening, crunching and frozen, with a few trees clinging to unusually late fall color. I always look at a Winter as a whole, not individual events, but that was a lot of fun.  2006-07 managed to just eclipse 30", and 2015-16 only saw 35.5" at Detroit but some northern suburbs eclipsed 50, just mattered where you lived. 2009-10 was not a bad Winter at all, but it was nothing memorable like it was in the mid Atlantic. El nino is very hit-and-miss, and la ninas arent ALL roses (remember, 2011-12 was one)...but overall if you want to gamble you would take a la Nina any day over an El nino here.

FB_IMG_1600279725939.jpg

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, tamarack said:

Kind of meh here other than the 15" dump on 4/1.  Prior to that snow was essentially on the average (within 1/2") with 8.9" the biggest event.  Was tough watching the AUG/WVL/BGR confirmed blizzards on 12/27 and 1/12, totaling about 30" for those places while we had nice 7-8" storms with modest winds.  Temps ran slightly BN but with no notable cold snaps.  Most memorable thing about that winter was driving into AUG on Boxing Day as conditions got worse and worse, leading my wife to cancel her PWM doctor appt.  Within 5 miles on the way north visibility was up to 1/2 mile (was <100' outside the North Augusta Wendy's) and barely snowing at home.
And 02-03 was cold and dry here, with only November getting AN snowfall.  Suppression depression?

70" here that winter, Meh

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, ORH_wxman said:

I lost the 2010-2011 snow map forever unless someone saved it. It was on my old laptop and somehow it didn't make it over to my new one years ago and I didn't have an archived copy on here.

Only way it still exists is if someone saved it for themselves.

I’ll have to look on my external hard drive... I have BTV’s map from that winter, I save a lot of random stuff sorted by winter.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, dryslot said:

70" here that winter, Meh

I remember you strongly advising me to rid our flat roof of our old home of snow and shovel the deck.   I was 10 years younger-easier in those days.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, weathafella said:

I remember you strongly advising me to rid our flat roof of our old home of snow and shovel the deck.   I was 10 years younger-easier in those days.

Yes, I remember that too, There were a lot of roof collapses that winter.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Ginx snewx said:

Ugh maybe Dr Dews has it after that epic fight over 5 inches. Lol I got goose bumps seeing this though

radmap.png

Not sure what you are referring to, but 10-11 was a pretty mediocre winter where I was.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I actually rode the line on a few storms at my current location in '10-'11...but sign me up. Just wish it didn't shut off after Ground Hog Day. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, PhineasC said:

From 2/25/10-2/28/10, Randolph recorded 57.1" of snow. LOL

That was a huge stretch for higher el of NNE down through the Catskills. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, PhineasC said:

From 2/25/10-2/28/10, Randolph recorded 57.1" of snow. LOL

That was the retro-storm that rained on most of New England and gave NYC like 20" of snow (though the first phase of it was a huge wet snowstorm for interior SNE up to NNE)....but up there the snow never really changed over....those easterly and even southeasterly flow events seem to absolutely dump on Randolph....I've noticed a lot of marginal storms there where they get like 2-3" of QPF and 30" of snow while 10-20 miles away probably didn't get much. That was probably an example of the terrain upsloping enough from the east to keep it a wet snow bomb.

Several mountain areas that do well on easterly flow stayed snow on that one across NNE.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, ORH_wxman said:

That was the retro-storm that rained on most of New England and gave NYC like 20" of snow (though the first phase of it was a huge wet snowstorm for interior SNE up to NNE)....but up there the snow never really changed over....those easterly and even southeasterly flow events seem to absolutely dump on Randolph....I've noticed a lot of marginal storms there where they get like 2-3" of QPF and 30" of snow while 10-20 miles away probably didn't get much. That was probably an example of the terrain upsloping enough from the east to keep it a wet snow bomb.

Several mountain areas that do well on easterly flow stayed snow on that one across NNE.

I'm wondering how he does compared to Alex in these synoptic events that have 850 flow SE-E. I feel like he may do better just kind of looking at the terrain? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, CoastalWx said:

I'm wondering how he does compared to Alex in these synoptic events that have 850 flow SE-E. I feel like he may do better just kind of looking at the terrain? 

Yeah when we were first discussing who got more snow, I was thinking to myself that it's probably going to be a situation where Alex probably does a bit better on NW upslope and Phin does better in synoptic storms....which force wins out? Is the uplsope advantage Alex has enough to outweigh the synoptic advantage Phin has? Looking at the Randolph site daily snow history, they clearly get upslope too, but I think Alex's spot origraphically looks a bit better. But Randolph looks to do better on coastal storms.

Either way, that's why some of us were excited to see another person up in that area....we can actually do a comparison now. Only sick weenies like us would find that exciting....lol.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Yeah when we were first discussing who got more snow, I was thinking to myself that it's probably going to be a situation where Alex probably does a bit better on NW upslope and Phin does better in synoptic storms....which force wins out? Is the uplsope advantage Alex has enough to outweigh the synoptic advantage Phin has? Looking at the Randolph site daily snow history, they clearly get upslope too, but I think Alex's spot origraphically looks a bit better. But Randolph looks to do better on coastal storms.

Either way, that's why some of us were excited to see another person up in that area....we can actually do a comparison now. Only sick weenies like us would find that exciting....lol.

LOL, it's kind of a 3-way race with Alex, Jspin, and Phin in a way. It will be interesting to see how it pans out. Jspin might avg a bit less overall...but I'm sure he'll cash in on some upslope at times too.  I put you, Ray, and Kevin in that weenie race too. :lol:    You both aren't far off avg snow wise...give or take a few inches. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

LOL, it's kind of a 3-way race with Alex, Jspin, and Phin in a way. It will be interesting to see how it pans out. Jspin might avg a bit less overall...but I'm sure he'll cash in on some upslope at times too.  I put you, Ray, and Kevin in that weenie race too. :lol:    You both aren't far off avg snow wise...give or take a few inches. 

Yeah, when I was on winter hill, I'd get the most almost every year between us 3 with a an exception or two.....but now it's a neck and neck race every year with them. I think Ray averages the most out of us climo-wise, but it's not by a lot...maybe by 2-4 inches or so.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, PhineasC said:

From 2/25/10-2/28/10, Randolph recorded 57.1" of snow. LOL

Meanwhile we had 10.7" mush on 2.68" LE, by far my lowest-ratio met winter snowfall that included neither ZR nor IP.  Then it was further cementified by 1.13" of 33-34F rain while NYC had its 20.9" snowicane.  Almost impossible to move, especially as my snowblower was out of commission and the scoop was traveling on unfrozen driveway surface.  Far more energy intensive than scooping out the 24.5" of 13:1 pow a year earlier.  Worst double-digit storm I can imagine, and the fact that it was a near carbon copy of 41 years earlier on the same dates (just 5F milder) only rubbed it in.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/16/2020 at 7:15 AM, Ginx snewx said:

10-11 is coming 

It was a great winter until LA Nina took over 

1 hour ago, dmillz25 said:

70” would be historic here. I need to move north lol

We were on pace to break 1995-1996 during that winter until the blocking eroded. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.