Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
NYE Mess Obs

40/70 Benchmark

21 minutes ago, NorEastermass128 said:

Slip sliding away here. Near Lanesville/Annisquam in Gloucester just now. 

57D8CA36-4CB4-4416-871C-D4127C2D2D72.jpeg

Different color vehicle, but otherwise looks like this past Friday in our area.  Lots of vehicles off the road, Route 2 closed for hours, and we lost power for 5 hours when an ambulance responding to one of those accidents took out a pole in Farmington Falls.  Occupants had to sit tight until CMP arrived to ensure the lines were cold.  Fortunately, there were no serious injuries.

No snow at all in SNE? Pretty much as advertised.  Heavy snow Maine, Whites, Ice Berks, mix in between with snow in interior MA for a while. Ice in NW CT Berks worst.

Edit to specify southern Maine - Augusta has yet to see a flake, though echoes have now moved far enough north that we might see something after noon (unless the low dews eat it all.)  First GYX warning of the season for my area, for tonight/tomorrow.

30 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Home. I think the fire was the other day on Shaker Rd.

These pellets are so big it almost looks like snow falling with the amount of light being refracted through them.

:pimp:

25 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Currently 750-800mb temps are like +5 and we're getting pellets. Shows how strong that low level push of drier/colder air is. I know we were wondering yesterday if it was going to be pellets or not with a warm layer of +5 or greater.

That's where so many of our ptype forecast tools at the NWS offices fail. The one they are pushing everyone towards at the moment goes off max wet bulb temp. And +5C is enough to fully melt = lots of freezing rain. Not every model has the capability to provide probability of refreezing to sleet grids, which increase as your cold air magnitude gets larger. 

Thickness grids attempt to get at it, but they are fixed and not ideal for all situations. Ideally we would have a functioning area above or below freezing tool to determine ptype. It's coming but it's there yet. And even then it would still miss low level snow generation, because it's looking from the top down.

2 minutes ago, dendrite said:

It's friggin salt nuclei. The cold layer is deeper and colder up here than it is down there. Time to petition the town to go from sand to salt.

Lol...throw the computer it’ll make you feel better!!  It’s not your year...so far anyway.  But long long way to go.    

It’s just rain here so no skin in this game.  But Where’s all the ice in the northeast hills of CT...

14 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

I'm told there's legit flakes in ORH now...airport is at 3/4 -SN....holy cross webcam on the far south side of town looks like flakeage.

It's been snowing for at least an hour, Will.  Pathetic flakes, but what was once brown is now white.

Surprised to see this rather than sleet.

15 minutes ago, tamarack said:

Different color vehicle, but otherwise looks like this past Friday in our area.  Lots of vehicles off the road, Route 2 closed for hours, and we lost power for 5 hours when an ambulance responding to one of those accidents took out a pole in Farmington Falls.  Occupants had to sit tight until CMP arrived to ensure the lines were cold.  Fortunately, there were no serious injuries.

No snow at all in SNE? Pretty much as advertised.  Heavy snow Maine, Whites, Ice Berks, mix in between with snow in interior MA for a while. Ice in NW CT Berks worst.

Edit to specify southern Maine - Augusta has yet to see a flake, though echoes have now moved far enough north that we might see something after noon (unless the low dews eat it all.)  First GYX warning of the season for my area, for tonight/tomorrow.

We didn't give you one December 2-3?

14 minutes ago, dendrite said:

I shouldn't have looked at the obs south of me. May throw my computer out my window.

A December to dismember.

Fried chicken for dinner?