• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    McHenrySnow
    Newest Member
    McHenrySnow

January 2020 Discussion

31 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

End of the EPS looks to dislodge the cold in AK. Some EPO improvement. The longer range guys also feel a window opens up after 1st week of Feb. We shall see.

We pray

17 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Its not much of a surprise to see most of January punted.

If we are still punting in mid February, then I'd worry.

Losing Dec and now most of Jan doesn't bode well in the law of avgs for a normal winter, We will need a heavy back loaded one to achieve it.

https://longrangesnowcenter.net/2020/01/22/north-america-on-the-long-term-22nd-jan-2/

The latest blog update for long term snowfall prospects for North America from my perspective.

1. PNW/BC/Northern Rockies to remain good for the next fortnight, reducing in the second week of Feb.
  2. California/the SW/Southern Rockies to improve for the latter half of February (maybe a bit earlier)
  3. Eastern US expected to improve for the last 15-20 days of February (2nd-3rd weeks of Feb, possibly into the 4th week) IMO.
  4. These impacts may be reduced/weakened by Arctic influence, etc.
  • Like 1
  • Weenie 2

32 minutes ago, dryslot said:

Losing Dec and now most of Jan doesn't bode well in the law of avgs for a normal winter, We will need a heavy back loaded one to achieve it.

Strangely I got a heavy front loaded one here. 

• Like 1

Just now, HoarfrostHubb said:

Strangely I got a heavy front loaded one here. 

Yes, You did, Where are you now on seasonal totals?

Tanuary is toast for anything interesting aside this weekends rainer/nne snower, it's time for someone to start a Debbuary one

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1

Just now, dryslot said:

Yes, You did, Where are you now on seasonal totals?

49.05” since late November.    I average around 70-75” here.  Depth has been pretty low but I have had some snow on the ground pretty much every day since Dec 1 other than a few days last week. Even then there were still piles and stuff.   

lol...The Rat is creeping in.  And now we’re at the second week of Feb before this even looks to change ....holy smokes.  Completely reminds me of 11-12 with the continued pushing out of the better pattern, and then it goes to crap anyway and never makes it.  

Just now, WinterWolf said:

lol...The Rat is creeping in.  And now we’re at the second week of Feb before this even looks to change ....holy smokes.  Completely reminds me of 11-12 with the continued pushing out of the better pattern, and then it goes to crap anyway and never makes it.  

Enjoy what you got, down here in S. CT, we are ending well below or at average at best.

At least you got a major snowstorm in early Dec, near 10". 9.7 exactly. That's about my seasonal total.

6 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

49.05” since late November.    I average around 70-75” here.  Depth has been pretty low but I have had some snow on the ground pretty much every day since Dec 1 other than a few days last week. Even then there were still piles and stuff.   

You and Chris have done well out in western MA as well as Pete in the Berks, Your seasonal avg is the same as mine but we got off to a slow start with a below avg Nov and avg Dec, Pack retention has not been there either until the last few weeks, Were still behind in that aspect and behind in Jan too, But look to be gaining some ground but its a slow go and i think we may finish close to avg unless Feb is a monster.

5 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

This is worse than 11/12 because at least that had a memorable lifetime event, albeit before the season even started. 

Not worse than 01-02. Nothing will probably beat that in my lifetime.

We have done pretty well in SNH. I don’t keep a seasonal total but I’m guessing it’s somewhere around 35’’. If anything the pack has been the worst part. Wish we’d either keep a powdery pack or absolutely nothing. The consistent small, crusty, icy pack is crap. 

• Haha 1

It's impossible to speak of the whole of something when we don't know the whole story.  Shouldn't posts that claim that they know the whole story be in the panic thread so we can keep this one focused on actually pattern analysis?

3 hours ago, weatherwiz said:

E403C7A5-A253-4E8C-9882-DDE92BFF638D.png

lol, please tell me NWS has a color coded warning for this. "The National Weather Service in Miami has issued an Iguana Warning for South Florida..." Or the P/C: "Tonight, clear and cold. Low 35-40, with a 40% chance of falling iguanas. Road conditions may become treacherous."

• Haha 1

You guys will see 20-30+" from Feb 15 through April 1st. 

Expect a massive Greenland block after mid February into March. The pattern is following the same beats as past several seasons.