• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
OBS thread 2P Mar 3-10A Mar 4 (snow, possible sleet s fringe)

wdrag

1 hour ago, RU848789 said:

As of about 5:40 pm, it's now snowing moderately now and it has dropped to 34F and it's just starting to accumulate on grass/cartops (colder surfaces); not yet on paved surfaces.  Soon, I would think with increased intensity.  

As of 7 pm, measured 1" of new snow after getting home from dinner at Penang with my son (best roti canai in the area; rest of the food is decent, but worth going for the roti). 33F and snowing moderately. Maybe 1/2" of snow on paved surfaces and getting very slick out there.

This is good for folks on the "edge" worrying about changeover (Monmouth, western Ocean, western parts of SNJ, Philly, etc.)

National Weather Service Mount Holly NJ
644 PM EST Sun Mar 3 2019

.NEAR TERM /UNTIL 6 AM MONDAY MORNING/...

630 PM Update...Moderate to heavy precip ongoing as winter storm
closes in on the area. As of early this evening, rain/snow
transition zone doesn`t appear to be moving too much and looks
to be located close to the I-95 corridor over the northern
Delmarva eastward into southern New Jersey. With a change to
rain having occurred through Queen Anne`s Co. MD into Kent Co.
DE and points southward we`ve dropped advisories for these
counties and also removed additional snow amounts here as well.
Farther north, have increasing concerns that the transition
zone may struggle to make it too much farther north...especially
as it nears the Philly area. Also, latest HRRR runs suggesting
sleet developing in this zone as well as the evening goes on. As
a result, no real changes to forecast from around the Philly
area and points northward. Please see previous discussion below
for further details.

10 minutes ago, RU848789 said:

As of 7 pm, measured 1" of new snow after getting home from dinner at Penang with my son (best roti canai in the area; rest of the food is decent, but worth going for the roti). 33F and snowing moderately. Maybe 1/2" of snow on paved surfaces and getting very slick out there.

Used to live right near there. Don't like Thai though. Too hot. Snowing good over my way. Hoping for a call soon. Might have started a little too early to get a snow day tomorrow. We'll see.

• Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, EasternLI said:

Always good to see this. 

https://www.spc.noaa.gov/products/md/md0153.html

mcd0153.gif.8e5ec65fceba4112abc405095aea14c4.gif

Edit - didn't realize this was posted in the other thread as well. 

Not sure if we can 2"/hr near I95...snow ratios and lift i don't think are variable but will glad to be proven wrong.  I think best chance 1-2/hr higher terrain between I84 and roughly Warrant-Morris counties to north of the Merritt Parkway.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, wdrag said:

Not sure if we can 2"/hr near I95...snow ratios and lift i don't think are variable but will glad to be proven wrong.  I think best chance 1-2/hr higher terrain between I84 and roughly Warrant-Morris counties to north of the Merritt Parkway.

Agree think the highest totals will be Northern NJ through the Harriman Highlands due to the surface temps issues at the coast, still think the coast will do decent and probably get at least 3-6 inches but the chance of 10+ would be in that zone.   

2 minutes ago, wdrag said:

Huffs Church near RDG (1000 ft) 3"; Bushkill Twonship in Northampton County 3" per PHI FB VERY good sign for elevations in our forum area. Nice reports on the NY forum.  

Thanks. Do you feel MYC can still reach 6? I am in Easton CT but rooting for Manhattan

Just now, HVSnowLover said:

Agree think the highest totals will be Northern NJ through the Harriman Highlands due to the surface temps issues at the coast, still think the coast will do decent and probably get at least 3-6 inches but the chance of 10+ would be in that zone.   

Meant FAVORABLE, instead of variable. Bottom line, column appears a bit too warm along I95 for reaching potential of the 18z NAM (unless you use 7 to 1 or 8 to 1 ratio.  We even up here in Wantage lost the first 70 minutes of snow accum due to daylight and coming off a max T of 39.  When the temp dropped below 34 with the 3/4s-, then accum began during the late day.  Would have started sooner at night even at 34.  However, thats past.  I am concerned about power outages ne NJ eastward across S CT, or wherever acscums surpass 6".  Always learning from these events. 

1 minute ago, EastonSN+ said:

Thanks. Do you feel MYC can still reach 6? I am in Easton CT but rooting for Manhattan

I haven't studied close enough,  but when i saw the 18z NAM I was worried about 1 foot just near NYC but my guess is your 6 or so will do, with pavement 4 in midtown.  However, I prefer to leave this to NYC experts.  Plenty of time to pile it up, but need that temp down another deg to 32.5 or so. Again a 7 to 1 should work for NYC, presuming all wet snow. 

• Thanks 1