• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
NE snow event March 4th

tiger_deF

It's an old hat conversation topic but yeah... standardization is definitely changed wrt to perception of public safety over the last several decades.  It seemed the heftier winters of the mid 1990s really began that trend in culture - and I wonder if it's native to this region of the country, or if all regions that now rejoice in time off at the drop of a sleet pellet.  

I went to high school back in the 1980s ... and, though we commiserate upon occasion how that tortured decade probably earned its self the apex sore butt award for very worst for winter enthusiast (argumentative of course....) there were times when we did awken to say ... a half foot at 4 am.  I recall walking to school in tire cake ruts in the roads of Acton, because few streets had sidewalks, and the ones that did were not getting plowed until sometimes days later.  Very rarely did we ever get a day like that off from school. Now?  heh... wow... forecasts for winter storms that have higher bust potential are scrollin' tickers for canilations like there must be an air-raid circa 1943 going on... 12 hours before hand, while cirrus has yet to even obscure the stars.

I began to notice with my nieces and nephews that were raised in the area, ...oh, circa 2004 to 2010, that lesser and lesser criteria of weather inclemency was needed for delays and time off.  I have one niece still in high school, and two years ago they had to attend classes until a week before the 4th of July to make up for all the snow days...  I work for the University of Massachusetts circuit of campuses and along side, many colleagues have kids of various age ranges. They're consummately complaining about having to hire special sitters for what is in reality ... really uninspired weather. - I mean, we're talking snow stops at 2am, roads are plowed and just wet, with cling glops falling from the trees, and they gotta work from home because their kids are there. 

I could see how that would be a pain in the ass... and, we are a culture of litigates. For all our crowning achievements, conceits and arrogances... it seems there is a dual nature behind the time off thing - and it's not just school. My work ops for WFH with pretty pallid reasons, too, sometimes.  I think its a collective want that everyone's like "meme" bought into? They act like its a pain, but they want it.  And I wonder if the law suit fears is kinda of an excuse to get to sleep in an hour and scratch bum through boxer shorts over home-brew coffee while clicking through morning emails from a cushy couch. For others, ...they need a sitter.  

But I don't doubt we are in fact litigiously preoccupied, ..perhaps to avoid having to pay for our own mistakes - we abuse the courts. 

• Thanks 2

14 minutes ago, weathafella said:

3/19/56.  An inch or 2 forecasted and ended up with 1-2 feet.  I was in 3rd grade.  Apparently 12/26/47 which dumped 26.4 on KNYC was forecast to be flurries but at 1 year old I don’t remember those details.

3/13/1888 I was blasted with 22 inches but was so pissed when I found out my friends in New Haven County had 4 feet, I even rained for a bit.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

1 minute ago, Kitzbuhel Craver said:

As much as many of us bemoan the psychoanalytical nature of some of Tip’s posts, when these runs come in lock-step increasingly more tantalizing each and every time it is like a drug and a damn good one.

Yesterday evening TauntonBlizz had everyone Mehhing and people complaining about how every event fades to forgettable and how tiring that gets.  Spouses and kids getting yelled at for no reason.  

Today it's back to back-slapping, carrying around party-goers on chairs high overhead, people crowd-surfing, etc.  

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

4 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

Increasing 8-12'' for CT with mention of some 12-14'' totals. Man what an embarrassing 48 hours I've had. Brutal. 

You were just following the model data.  Yesterday at this time the mood of the forum expected today's runs to bring Advisory snows in a shredded radar.

Just now, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

That’s what makes this fun. 

Absolutely agreed. I do kick myself when these things happen, but I enjoy the learning aspect and try to use this for future reference.  I guess that's why I over-analyze at times. What Will explained to me earlier made 100% sense. It's knowledge like that which I lack and that is something I wish we would have learned more in school...even with map discussions or whatever. 

2 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

It's an old hat conversation topic but yeah... standardization is definitely changed wrt to perception of public safety over the last several decades.  It seemed the heftier winters of the mid 1990s really began that trend in culture - and I wonder if it's native to this region of the country, or if all regions that now rejoice in time of at the drop of a sleet pellet.  

I went to high school back in the 1980s ... and, though we commiserate upon occasion how that tortured decade probably earned its self the apex sore butt award for very worst for winter enthusiast (argumentative of course....) there were times when we did awken to say ... a half foot at 4 am.  I recall walking to school in tire cake ruts in the roads of Acton, because few streets had sidewalks, and the ones that did were not getting plowed until sometimes days later.  Very rarely did we ever get a day like that off from school. Now?  heh... wow... forecasts for winter storms that have higher bust potential are scrollin' tickers for canilations like there must be an air-raid circa 1943 going on...  

I began to notice with my nieces and nephews that were raised in the area, ...oh, circa 2004 to 2010, that lesser and lesser criteria of weather inclemency was needed for delays and time off.  I have one niece still in high school, and two years ago they had to attend classes until a week before the 4th of July to make up for all the snow days...  I work for the University of Massachusetts circuit of campuses and along side, many colleagues have kids of various age ranges. They're consummately complaining about having to hire special sitters for what is in reality ... really uninspired weather. - I mean, we're talking snow stops at 2am, roads are plowed and just wet, with cling glops falling from the trees, and they gotta work from home because their kids are there. 

I could see how that would be a pain in the ass... and, we are a culture of litigates. For all our crowning achievements, conceits and arrogances... it seems there is a dual nature behind the time off thing - and it's not just school. My work ops for WFH with pretty pallid reasons, too, sometimes.  I think its a collective want that everyone's like "meme" bought into? They act like its a pain, but they want it.  And I wonder if the law suit fears is kinda of an excuse to get to sleep in an hour and scratch bum through box shorts over home-brew coffee while clicking through morning emails from a cushy couch. For others, ...they need a sitter.  

But I don't doubt we are in fact litigiously preoccupied, ..perhaps to avoid having to pay for our own mistakes - we abuse the courts. 

Those are some of the issues, and they are valid. But there are others. too. Our son attended schools in Arlington, VA and Washington DC, from '95-'08. (Granted, this is a different part of the universe.) Schools were closed in Arlington because they just don't have the plowing equipment. Another sad fact, although I don't know how much of a factor it (according to the principal), was but many immigrant families could not afford proper winter clothes - boots, jackets or mittens for the kids. When our kid was in a high school in DC, the school aligned itself with whatever Montgomery County Md. did, because that's where the largest number of kids came from. At one point. the HS had been closed for 2-3 days because of an ice storm, but most roads were clear, so I convinced the principal to NOT to cancel the Friday night ski trip. 

7 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Yep. NAM finally went wild in the short range after being a bit stubborn the past 3 or 4 runs. 

It slowed down the impact too. Way more snow falls between 09z and 12z than previous runs. 

I think we can admit to collectively wondering if that was going to happen... I tried to bring this up earlier in the day, how the NAM was oddly paltry looking integrated through the NW arc of the low. You know... it almost looked like someone went in and cookie-cut lopped off any fledgling CCB at the seam of the IB/waa glob.