• Member Statistics

    15,884
    Total Members
    7,904
    Most Online
    WXMal4
    Newest Member
    WXMal4
    Joined
Sign in to follow this  
40/70 Benchmark

March Disco

Recommended Posts

Well whatever happens this'll be an interesting test for the parallel GFS ... which as noted has been the demonstrative outlier for amplitude and placement. 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Spanks45 said:

I'm sure eastern areas will get something, out this way meh...If it isn't going to be a spring blizzard then lets get this cold out of here so we can enjoy this spring early!

Doubt anyone gets anything but east is in the best spot. We can remain uninvested. 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Well whatever happens this'll be an interesting test for the parallel GFS ... which as noted has been the demonstrative outlier for amplitude and placement. 

 

While I haven’t been running the model scores, the FV3 has had tons of fake news cyclones in the day 6+ timeframe. I know it’s day 5 now, but man it’s gone full weenie so many times before. It’s a bit scary to think it takes the place of the current GFS as we know it. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Ukie is a bit interesting at D5...wide right but not by a lot. 

It looks a bit west of yesterday's 12z run.  Plenty of time for more tics west.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

While I haven’t been running the model scores, the FV3 has had tons of fake news cyclones in the day 6+ timeframe. I know it’s day 5 now, but man it’s gone full weenie so many times before. It’s a bit scary to think it takes the place of the current GFS as we know it. 

Indeed, but usually those false depictions disappear after a run or two. It has depicted this coastal low for at least 8 runs in a row, with generally increasing intensity. As Tip says, it'll make the bust all the more egregious.  

or could it be...? 

Nah.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, apm said:

Indeed, but usually those false depictions disappear after a run or two. It has depicted this coastal low for at least 8 runs in a row, with generally increasing intensity. As Tip says, it'll make the bust all the more egregious.  

or could it be...? 

Nah.

 

 

Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while.  :lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

While I haven’t been running the model scores, the FV3 has had tons of fake news cyclones in the day 6+ timeframe. I know it’s day 5 now, but man it’s gone full weenie so many times before. It’s a bit scary to think it takes the place of the current GFS as we know it. 

Yeah ... right. Ha.

If one is mired in the obsession teetering on addiction ...rocking with bloodshot withdraw sweats and that is your only salvation ? ...my god you're in a world of hurt.

Euro's about to come out and I'm sure it will make a run at 80 F with a west wind - sometimes the road to recovery is cold turkey. 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

I'd sacrifice an entire seasons snowfall for that to verify.

I hope it does, I would love to be raking and seeding lawn while you are bemoaning and endless slow melt and mud.  :D

  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Diving s/w looks a little more stout thru 18z Monday

Another potential thing to watch is the interaction with the s/w over Montana / Wyoming... the FV3 has minimal interaction and so our diving s/w continues under the trough to the east coast vs. 0z (less so 6z) Euro runs have much more interaction and our critical diving s/w gets delayed in a closed H5 low over Nebraska

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, wxsniss said:

Diving s/w looks a little more stout thru 18z Monday

Another potential thing to watch is the interaction with the s/w over Montana / Wyoming... the FV3 has minimal interaction and so our diving s/w shoots under the trough to the east coast vs. 0z (less so 6z) Euro runs have much more interaction and our critical diving s/w gets delayed in a closed H5 low over Nebraska

12Z still tucking that first wave back under the ridge, but not like the 00Z did. Part of it ejects out w/ the northern stream wave, which is diving considerably farther SW into the Lakes this run.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Euro not quite biting but it's close enough to keep an eye on. That's a good meridional flow...if a little less energy gets buried southwest into the plains then i think we see something pop on that setup. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Euro not quite biting but it's close enough to keep an eye on. That's a good meridional flow...if a little less energy gets buried southwest into the plains then i think we see something pop on that setup. 

Agreed, if the usual Euro baby steps continue, it's fairly easy to see how the timing of waves could work out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, purduewx80 said:

12Z still tucking that first wave back under the ridge, but not like the 00Z did. Part of it ejects out w/ the northern stream wave, which is diving considerably farther SW into the Lakes this run.

Yeah you could see this run failing early on, at least in an outcome similar to the FV3... compare at Wed 12z: the s/w (which on the FV3 is responsible for Mar 21-22) gets squashed under the ridge and is hung back over Nebraska, whereas on the FV3 it's already to Missouri/Indiana and trekking towards the coast

What's interesting as you point out is the trough dives much farther SW into the Lakes... if this continues, we could still get a big hit with slightly different timing than the FV3 (for example, energy diving through Lakes phasing with the hung back energy hung emerging from Nebraska)

Not much confidence, but the upper level setup definitely warrants watching

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, HoarfrostHubb said:

I’m selling on that model.  I just want to use my grill.

Second that.  Would be something if that model sniffs this one out before most everything else. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not just FV3... CMC had it 0z Mar 13 run and also before I think... Icon had a couple hits...

this would be a coup for all the ignored deplorable models

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, wxsniss said:

Not just FV3... CMC had it 0z Mar 13 run and also before I think... Icon had a couple hits...

this would be a coup for all the ignored deplorable models

Heh... I don't know if one should include a model in this that happened to 'spray' a interesting solution or two before returning back to some other variant idea ...

The impetus behind tracking the FV3' is that it's been consistent.   It would be almost impossible to separate their chaos from a model bias either way.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

That’s some cold just over the border for the later system. That seems to be the next thing to keep an eye on besides later this week. 

Regardless of how the storm issues do or do not play out, those are 2 very nasty late season cold slugs coming into southeastern Canada this upcoming weekend and then again the middle of next week... 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, FXWX said:

Regardless of how the storm issues do or do not play out, those are 2 very nasty late season cold slugs coming into southeastern Canada this upcoming weekend and then again the middle of next week... 

They seem to be stabbing cold shots that roll out quick if one uses the Euro...

Like the first rolls out in 24 hours ...raising regional 850s from some -15 C day six, all the way to + 2 by the beginning of day seven... and with west wind in that look it's headed for the mid to high 60s. I've actually seen that look in the autumn before ironically -

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

EPS shows potential beyond 3/27-3/28 as well. Not quite time to stick a fork in the snow threats yet. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, CT Rain said:

Not much showing up on the EPS for Thursday/Friday but early next week is interesting. 

Things will turn around in 10 days..............................................................................................................................

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.