• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
February Banter 2019

George BM

Couple of good reads for those waiting for the 0Z suite. Love the debate between the Euro and GFS. Here, Forbes discusses the FV3 which is due to go live on March 20th.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/marshallshepherd/2019/02/14/euro-vs-gfs-weather-model-wars-take-a-new-turn-in-march/#67706bff6c2b

https://www.weather.gov/news/fv3

3 hours ago, psuhoffman said:

They use the same flawed metrics on wxbell...probably because they havent changed them since Ryan left to do weathermodels.com.  It's really really bad.  It seems to count all precip that falls with any measured level near freezing as snow.  I have seen times when it's not even really close at all...not even ice actually...its like 35 degree rain and its showing up on the maps as snow.  Times when the actual rain/snow line is 150 miles away in northern PA and its showing up as snow here.  Its so so bad and it skews those maps really bad.  When the mslp tracks are under us its not so bad and I take it more seriously...but right now most of that snow on the gefs is false signals from the two cutters next week.  

I can get a good winter if we get a HECS in March. I think we are due for one. You really need a HECS this march or winter is disaster for you. you should punt anything less than that.

18 minutes ago, Ji said:

I can get a good winter if we get a HECS in March. I think we are due for one. You really need a HECS this march or winter is disaster for you. you should punt anything less than that.

Mother Nature doesn’t let me call plays.  If she did we would all be too busy figuring out where to put the 300” of snow to be on here. 

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, HighStakes said:

Between the short range models and long range models, today was probably the worst day of tracking we've had all winter long. Downright bleak. Just atrocious. Reality has set in for me but I'm still all in until the end. 

sad ending.....especially when everything piece of data we had told us we were going to have an epic winter. This winter is like the opposite of 13-14 where it looked bleak and we had an epic winter. This winter looked epic and it was bleak.

This winter is up there with 01-02 for me

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I understand the Mid Atlantic is in for some mild weather, just before some accumulating snows.

Well tomorrow Austin will likely eclipse 90 degrees lol.

I am getting a very early start on summer lol.

I am pulling hard for you guys to get some good snows in the next few days!

I dont mind very warm weather down here in Texas, IF it helps DC get heavy deep snow!

22 minutes ago, Jebman said:

I understand the Mid Atlantic is in for some mild weather, just before some accumulating snows.

I dont mind very warm weather down here in Texas, IF it helps DC get heavy deep snow!

Well, thank you kind sir... aka "The Jebman" for taking one for the MA! You have a kind soul!!

6 hours ago, Jebman said:

Jeb. You and I need to take a trip to the Sierra's one day. Head up to Mammoth and tote the greatest Jebwalk there ever was. Blinding snow, 4"/hr rates, wind. We can have it all! Texas won't do it for us, so we need to head to it :mapsnow:

In terms of snow events I have enjoyed this winter...each one had it's own excitement. The totals imby are perfect at this point in winter.

If the internet didn't exist I'd  be pretty darn satisfied. 

Of course I want more...of course I want bigger storms...of course of course of course but none of that speaks for how I feel for each event that actually DID happen. 

Hopefully it snows again this year if not...next year will be here before we know it. 

See ya in an obs thread...04 out

22 minutes ago, H2O said:

You can bury me but not because i gave up on winter but rather from this place killing me.  Been here and at Eastern and at no other time that I can think of have I NOT wanted to post.  

Sometimes I can't browse the site because of the drivel. There's some people on here that need to grow up. I'll throw some jokes around, but some people in here are way too serious about stuff out of their control. It's maddening. It's okay to be disappointed, but anger, constant deb on things, and being hostile to others is just out of line. I miss your contributions. Hope you're doing good Andy. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, losetoa6 said:

To the bolded.  Just look at current radar on your computer screen while simultaneously looking out the window ...if they match ....you're certified :D

That was good! The certification is for issuing warnings and being able to do lots of great stuff with AWIPS. Huge step in my forecasting career. I'm pretty excited! 

• Like 4