Most Online
    Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
February Banter 2019

George BM

1 minute ago, NorthArlington101 said:

It's starting to look like I'm going to do obs for a snow event at home :D

Was really bummed when nothing happened over Winter Break. Scoring a 3"+ event at home while I can sit on my couch, with my dog, looking out at the streetlight would be very exciting. 

Think I will sacrifice this one for the mental wellness of those to the south... errr....well actually just for Ji's mental state. :whistle:

And I promise you this sacrifice has nothing to do with my wife dragging me to a wedding in Pittsburgh on Saturday. :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, showmethesnow said:

Think I will sacrifice this one for the mental wellness of those to the south... errr....well actually just for Ji's mental state. :whistle:

And I promise you this sacrifice has nothing to do with my wife dragging me to a wedding in Pittsburgh on Saturday. :D

Very kind of you. Just don't let it go too far south... if I end up in the wrong place at the wrong time again my meltdown is gonna be ugly.

• Haha 1

We talkin' Ji worthy?

Dunno. It would easily be the most frustrating thing I’ve had happen to me in a winter. I’ve seen 5” while both my locations have hit 15”+.

I’d say March 2013 was worse but I wasn’t as invested in the tracking at that stage. Still a rough day I won’t forget.

So to answer your question, probably.

2 minutes ago, NorthArlington101 said:

Dunno. It would easily be the most frustrating thing I’ve had happen to me in a winter. I’ve seen 5” while both my locations have hit 15”+.

I’d say March 2013 was worse but I wasn’t as invested in the tracking at that stage. Still a rough day I won’t forget.

So to answer your question, probably.

My curse still wins.  Only winter I missed and didn’t live in Va was.......2009-2010.  

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

3 hours ago, psuhoffman said:

Yep went well. Thanks. I posted about it yesterday. Getting there was an adventure. He is doing good.  

Hey PSU...glad to hear everything went well, especially dealing with the road conditions on top of that!  Hope your son recovers well.

Somehow, I think as parents it's almost harder on us, LOL!  I remember when my daughter had to get her tonsils out several years ago, she was 6 years old and had gotten strep several times up to that point.  Though I knew things would be fine (and they were), it made me feel awful for someone that age have to go through that...nerve-wracking for sure!

39 minutes ago, leesburg 04 said:

Some people are so inherently negative that even when they try to be positive they always throw in a negative nugget....every single time

Has it always been this bad? The fun factor of reading the threads here is going away for me. The never good enough theme is becoming offputting. Aren't we here to have fun? Isn't that why people participate in a hobby? If it keeps going downhill I'm going to take a break. I would probably enjoy events more if I did. 

• Like 12

3 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

Has it always been this bad? The fun factor of reading the threads here is going away for me. The never good enough theme is becoming offputting. Aren't we here to have fun? Isn't that why people participate in a hobby? If it keeps going downhill I'm going to take a break. I would probably enjoy events more if I did. 

Same for me. Maybe it's because I'm getting older, almost 50. But I share the same sentiment. A lot of people forget or refuse to acknowledge that this is not a snow town. We have occasional runs of decent luck otherwise it's a great place to make a damn good living, enjoy Fine Food and great history. It's not a great weather place.

Just now, Bob Chill said:

There were always panic posters...heck I've had my share over the years but lately it's not about panic and more about just being downright depressing. I'm with you it takes the joy out of tracking...that's truly why I'm all about looking out the window vs. believing or relying on models. I see the joy and fun in being able to read them like you or psu and Cape and showme... you guys rock but for me I watch read but in the end just :snowwindow:. Some people aren't able to handle things they have zero control over. If it snows great! If it's an inch great! If it's a foot more great! If it doesn't snow...go outside and play. It's just that easy

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Stormpc said:

Same for me. Maybe it's because I'm getting older, almost 50. But I share the same sentiment. A lot of people forget or refuse to acknowledge that this is not a snow town. We have occasional runs of decent luck otherwise it's a great place to make a damn good living, enjoy Fine Food and great history. It's not a great weather place.

Age might be it. We're the same age. Lol. I get it when it's terrible. Like the stretch from Feb 2011 through the end of winter 2013.  The only 2 storms that dropped at least some snow have ever affected me badly... Boxing Day and March 2013. The superbowl 2015 storm irked me but nothing like the other 2. I'm over letting that happen again. This is supposed to be fun and an escape from all the complicated and stressful stuff we deal with in regular life. 

I enjoy the shit out of tracking storms and love watching snow fall. Very basic stuff. Part of the fun (and my favorite part of tracking) is when a storm is tricky and the outcome is uncertain right up to game time. Parsing through all the data leading in is a great mental exercise. Nowadays those storms suck because unless a big, cold, every flake sticks storm comes along it's a disappointing no fun event and a core of people make sure you know how bad it is every 3 minutes. 

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

I don’t know...a 3-6” storm falling during the day on the weekend just sounds awful.  I mean why even snow if its only that much? What’s the point if it doesn’t cover my azalea bushes in the front of the house? And as soon as the snow starts I start getting worried looking at the back edge of the radar.  And then i wonder to myself, omg will it ever snow around here again? And before i know, the snow has stopped and I’m back to worrying about it melting so fast with the sun angle of death.  Will you hold me? I’m scared.

• Haha 5