Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
February Banter 2019

George BM

24 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

The best wading in MD is the upper potomac for smallmouth. It can be dangerous when water is high so low water is a must. The best river to wade within a reasonable drive is the Shenandoah. Loaded with smallmouth and very easy to fish. My wife and I do float trips and we catch so many smallmouth we don't even count them. It's a blast. 

Have you tried the Monocacy?  I’ve been researching and looks like pretty good potential.  Would be pretty close for you as well.  I’m going to give it a shot in the spring.  Upper potomac is great but finding decent wading spots is tough as you said.  

5 minutes ago, jaydreb said:

Have you tried the Monocacy?  I’ve been researching and looks like pretty good potential.  Would be pretty close for you as well.  I’m going to give it a shot in the spring.  Upper potomac is great but finding decent wading spots is tough as you said.  

Monocacy is a silty river. Good to fish when it's clear though and a better bank river than wading. Wading can be tricky. You have to know where the rocky bottoms are. Any eddy area has nearly bottomless soft mud. I like the potomac west of dickerson. Knoxville area is incredible wading. All rocks and you can safely wade to the middle of the river when water is low. Loaded with bass and even walleye. Wear strong shoes. Like old hiking shoes or something like that. Sandles like tevas are guaranteed to allow rocks to cut crap out of your feet walking between rocks. You'll hit holes and get up to your chest and neck at times but good rocks are always a few steps away. 

18 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

Monocacy is a silty river. Good to fish when it's clear though and a better bank river than wading. Wading can be tricky. You have to know where the rocky bottoms are. Any eddy area has nearly bottomless soft mud. I like the potomac west of dickerson. Knoxville area is incredible wading. All rocks and you can safely wade to the middle of the river when water is low. Loaded with bass and even walleye. Wear strong shoes. Like old hiking shoes or something like that. Sandles like tevas are guaranteed to allow rocks to cut crap out of your feet walking between rocks. You'll hit holes and get up to your chest and neck at times but good rocks are always a few steps away. 

I’ve been up there (by Dickerson) on guided boat trips a few times and had success.  How do you access the Potomac from land there if you don’t mind me asking?

Thanks for the info re: Monocacy.  If the current is slow enough I might be able to use my inflatable fishing boat there.  The only issue is whether I’d be able to paddle back upstream to my put-in spot.  

4 minutes ago, jaydreb said:

I’ve been up there (by Dickerson) on guided boat trips a few times and had success.  How do you access the Potomac from land there if you don’t mind me asking?

Thanks for the info re: Monocacy.  If the current is slow enough I might be able to use my inflatable fishing boat there.  The only issue is whether I’d be able to paddle back upstream to my put-in spot.  

Lots of shore access points. In knoxville you park by the train tracks. Dickerson is too deep for wading but decent from shore (you will get very muddy lol). Easy access from the parking lot.

The best way to access the monocacy with a small boat is to do a float trip. If you have a friend with a car you can have them shuttle you upriver and have you car parked downriver. Current is usually pretty mild but paddling upstream for say a mile or so will wear you out. 

The best local drift on the potomac is violets lock to swains lock. I've done that countless times. Safe and easy to navigate. The run on the wssc dam is the only tricky spot. I've done it in a 10' aluminum jon boat countless times when I was younger. Had a 30lb thrust trolling motor that had enough power to get all around and even upstream. Bounced off plenty of rocks and the boat looked like crumpled metal after 5 years. Lol

Shenandoah river outfitters does shuttles on a 15 mile stretch for drift fishing. You can rent a canoe or raft from them. That's what my wife and I do every year. We spend all day drift fishing and get picked up anytime before 5pm. Best bang for the buck fishing anywhere near here with incredible scenery on the drift.

1 minute ago, Bob Chill said:

Lots of shore access points. In knoxville you park by the train tracks. Dickerson is too deep for wading but decent from shore (you will get very muddy lol). Easy access from the parking lot.

The best way to access the monocacy with a small boat is to do a float trip. If you have a friend with a car you can have them shuttle you upriver and have you car parked downriver. Current is usually pretty mild but paddling upstream for say a mile or so will wear you out. 

The best local drift on the potomac is violets lock to swains lock. I've done that countless times. Safe and easy to navigate. The run on the wssc dam is the only tricky spot. I've done it in a 10' aluminum jon boat countless times when I was younger. Had a 30lb thrust trolling motor that had enough power to get all around and even upstream. Bounced off plenty of rocks and the boat looked like crumpled metal after 5 years. Lol

Shenandoah river outfitters does shuttles on a 15 mile stretch for drift fishing. You can rent a canoe or raft from them. That's what my wife and I do every year. We spend all day drift fishing and get picked up anytime before 5pm. Best bang for the buck fishing anywhere near here with incredible scenery on the drift.

Thanks for the info.  Much appreciated!  Maybe I’ll see you out there.  

4 hours ago, supernovasky said:

Alright. @Bob Chill and @jaydreb. Mandatory fishing trip together when things warm up a little.

Deal. If March is mild I'll do some bass fishing but I generally don't waste time when the water is cold. Too much work for too few fish. I usually kick off fishing season at Lake Needwood for trout after the March stocking. Good eating and easy to catch. I fish 2 rods with power eggs and cast around with spinners. Usually catch a few trout casting lures and bass will bite if they're active. I've rarely been skunked with power eggs though. It's a crappy bass lake ever since the dam almost broke and they drained it like 10 years ago. Bass never recovered from that but there are still some in there. 

2 hours ago, Bob Chill said:

Deal. If March is mild I'll do some bass fishing but I generally don't waste time when the water is cold. Too much work for too few fish. I usually kick off fishing season at Lake Needwood for trout after the March stocking. Good eating and easy to catch. I fish 2 rods with power eggs and cast around with spinners. Usually catch a few trout casting lures and bass will bite if they're active. I've rarely been skunked with power eggs though. It's a crappy bass lake ever since the dam almost broke and they drained it like 10 years ago. Bass never recovered from that but there are still some in there. 

They’ve got signs posted in lake Needwood about deadly toxic fungus in the water...

All work and no play makes Ji a dull boy.All work and no play makes Ji a dull boy.All work and no play makes Ji a dull boy.All work and no play makes Ji a dull boy.All work and no play makes Ji a dull boy.All work and no play makes Ji a dull boy.All work and no play makes Ji a dull boy.All work and no play makes Ji a dull boy.All work and no play makes Ji a dull boy.All work and no play makes Ji a dull boy.All work and no play makes Ji a dull boy.All work and no play makes Ji a dull boy.All work and no play makes Ji a dull boy.All work and no play makes Ji a dull boy.All work and no play makes Ji a dull boy.All work and no play makes Ji a dull boy.All work and no play makes Ji a dull boy.All work and no play makes Ji a dull boy.All work and no play makes Ji a dull boy.All work and no play makes Ji a dull boy.All work and no play makes Ji a dull boy.All work and no play makes Ji a dull boy.All work and no play makes Ji a dull boy.All work and no play makes Ji a dull boy.All work and no play makes Ji a dull boy.All work and no play makes Ji a dull boy.All work and no play makes Ji a dull boy.All work and no play makes Ji a dull boy.All work and no play makes Ji a dull boy.All work and no play makes Ji a dull boy.All work and no play makes Ji a dull boy.All work and no play makes Ji a dull boy.All work and no play makes Ji a dull boy.All work and no play makes Ji a dull boy.All work and no play makes Ji a dull boy.All work and no play makes Ji a dull boy.All work and no play makes Ji a dull boy.All work and no play makes Ji a dull boy.All work and no play makes Ji a dull boy.

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, supernovasky said:

They’ve got signs posted in lake Needwood about deadly toxic fungus in the water...

Those are just leftover signs from the summer. Every summer during hot stretches the DNR tests water for bacteria and stuff and post those signs. Cold water in the winter kills that stuff so trout are totally fine. Lake Frank next door has the same signs. Common in this area.

On 2/9/2019 at 9:48 PM, NorthArlington101 said:

to drag this discussion to the right place:

Yeah, I know. Just bummed. We corrected on all the mistakes from when we played Duke as the away team and then Duke pulls off some miracle 3pt shooting tonight. We made Zion look human tonight and it wasn't enough.

We'll see them again though. 

Well except when he nearly touched the scoreboard to block that 3 pointer.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

Those are just leftover signs from the summer. Every summer during hot stretches the DNR tests water for bacteria and stuff and post those signs. Cold water in the winter kills that stuff so trout are totally fine. Lake Frank next door has the same signs. Common in this area.

Good to know. They apparently stocked 300 trout yesterday and will routinely be stocking it now at Needwood, so... it may actually be worth hitting up for trout. Definitely will need a spinning reel for it though, the thought of casting anything a trout would eat on my baitcaster is just laughable :)

So yeah, again, I'll hit you up after we get 7-8 warm days in a row.

31 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

good info about the signs thanks

If this entire moisture stream was all snow for DC.............................

The Mid Atlantic would be totally paralyzed by deep deep snow, probably on the order of 30 to 40 inches of snow, with fully 4 feet in the mountains. Snow weenies would be awake for a solid WEEK.

It extends from my present backyard in south central Texas, clear to DC and beyond.

I would give anything at all for this to be all snow for DC. Even if I had to live in the central Amazonian jungle for the rest of my life.

Good job Ji. I see you finally figured out how 'Where's Waldo' works. You did such a fine job I couldn't even find you in the pic.
eta: By the way, pretty wife. But I am curious. During the winter does she sedate you or does she sedate herself?
She hates winter and me in winter. Btw...in true dc fashion...even up here the snow turned to rain last night and there was melting. I guess that area dosent do CAD
  • Like 1