• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
The Mystical Month of February--Long Range Discussion

Ji

Eps meteogram is a great visual highlighting the 10-12th window. For 10+ day leads this is a pretty strong signal on the eps. Pretty rare honestly. Just neer to hope it loads up with pinks and purples. I will love every minute of the torch next week if we're tracking a legit threat inside of 7 days.

emPfyWM.png

• Like 5

@psuhoffman

Lol. We are def on the same page here and totally agree about it being a strong signal for long leads. If the stars align we're getting back to back storms. All this can go poof of course but the current ens mean pattern evolution still looks the same in 5 days then we're tracking some sort of storm at a reasonable range. Ops and ens can lock in pretty far out in time with blocked flow. Potentially one of those setups where we can be confident 5-7 days out instead of the typical 2-3 days out and we're still on pins and needles.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, cbmclean said:

Eh just take them straight to state space.

lolz

I do touch on Laplace transforms, mostly so they are familiar with the notation, but I teach process control/instrumentation/automation to industry people(mostly maritime, navy, etc) with extremely varied math backgrounds, so I have a bag of tricks so to speak. y=mx+b can be a challenge sometimes.

Ha, just looked through the FV3 run as well. Sign me up for that ish.

I like the EPS depiction of the Atlantic side better than the GEFS actually. Better NAO ridge axis and it splits off from the WAR slightly with hints of 50/50 troughing. We can deal with the big -PNA if that verified verbatim. But throw just a hint of PNA ridging in the Southwest and it’s WOOFHONKWOOF time.

• Like 4

37 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

Eps meteogram is a great visual highlighting the 10-12th window. For 10+ day leads this is a pretty strong signal on the eps. Pretty rare honestly. Just neer to hope it loads up with pinks and purples. I will love every minute of the torch next week if we're tracking a legit threat inside of 7 days.

emPfyWM.png

Yeesh, I hope it’s right because the first 10 days of February (our best climo) looks ugly.  

15 minutes ago, C.A.P.E. said:

Yeah I have been waiting for this. GEFS and CFS have been bullish, while the EPS has been kinda luke warm, which had me a little skeptical. This is very encouraging.

Has it really been that long since a day 10-15 fantasy land model map showed a killer pattern this season? I suppose at some point its got to be right just based on chance.

You guys are the best... god bless ya

10 minutes ago, EastCoast NPZ said:

I think you are on to something.  I've noticed the days get shorter in winter and longer in summer. 

The summer solstice from a previous winter is driving the current Nina pattern that is causing the NAO to go weakly negative to positive resulting in a Nino EPO driven WAR forcing a downstream ridge.  I’ll watch it closely. 

Just now, Yeoman said:

Has it really been that long since a day 10-15 fantasy land model map showed a killer pattern this season? I suppose at some point its got to be right just based on chance.

I was referring specifically to the development of a strong west-based -NAO. EPS has been more reluctant than most other guidance, including the weeklies.

13 minutes ago, Yeoman said:

Day 10-15 ensembles score a bit higher than climo. So they do add “some” value. They hit the early December pattern. They hit the late December crap. And they got some parts of the current pattern right including the tpv displacement. They messed up the NAO. That has a big effect on our snow chances.  But if your here to tell us that long range guidance is very low probability I think most are aware.   And I think we would all rather be tracking some hecs that’s less than we week away but we’re not so we’re all here looking for signs of the next threat window.  Even if those signs are low probability the ensembles are the best tools we have so what should we talk about in the long range pattern discussion thread?

19 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

Day 10-15 ensembles score a bit higher than climo. So they do add “some” value. They hit the early December pattern. They hit the late December crap. And they got some parts of the current pattern right including the tpv displacement. They messed up the NAO. That has a big effect on our snow chances.  But if your here to tell us that long range guidance is very low probability I think most are aware.   And I think we would all rather be tracking some hecs that’s less than we week away but we’re not so we’re all here looking for signs of the next threat window.  Even if those signs are low probability the ensembles are the best tools we have so what should we talk about in the long range pattern discussion thread?

If there were any trust issues I have about the LR, this was the biggest one. And since you seemed more hesitant about it being real this time than Bob, I haven't known what to think, lol

19 minutes ago, Ji said:

nope and nobody else did either

I’m fairly certain that he is just pointing out the anomaly of the east-west winds.  U (and V) are used as coordinates to describe direction.  In this case, U would be east-west, V would be north-south, and W (or Z) would be vertical from the surface.

• Like 2