joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
The Mystical Month of February--Long Range Discussion

Ji

4 minutes ago, frd said:

Weeklies look very good.

March is winter-like. 

After the warm-up next week, goes right into extended winter. Looks active too !  

They are either finally going to pay of in the most epic delayed but not denied ever...or they are going down with the ship in the biggest tease/bust in history. Bob knows when we will find out for sure. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

They are either finally going to pay of in the most epic delayed but not denied ever...or they are going down with the ship in the biggest tease/bust in history. Bob knows when we will find out for sure. 

They will bust like March 2001 , aka Pamela Anderson ..... ha ha 

Or,  then again maybe not.  Its a lottery, buy a ticket and enjoy the show ! 

1 minute ago, Bob Chill said:

This new thread structure sucks. I posted about the threat around the 10th in the threat thread but it's covered here. I'll post the weeklies in the threat thread in a few mins too. 

Its easy to lose track of what thread you are posting in sometimes,  without scanning above , I forget sometimes. 

13 minutes ago, frd said:

Weeklies look very good.

March is winter-like. 

After the warm-up next week, goes right into extended winter. Looks active too !  

That would be great if true but if the weeklies were right, it would already be deep winter, and so would next week.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

Hmmm, looking at the weeklies and the HL, wonder whether we have seem our lowest temps for the winter ? 

Sure looks like early March is nasty temp-wise. Just need snow cover.    

16 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

Think I’m ready to switch back too

Having 2 threads is really not that difficult. Discrete threats inside of day 10 are discussed in the other thread.

LR Pattern "chasing" goes here. That would include the weeklies.

Idk, having everything in one thread was a bit of a cluster fuuck IMO. But I am easy. I go with the flow.

• Like 1

Welp, it's pretty damn easy to track the most important feature on the weeklies week 3. We've had a bunch of ridging around greenland recently and all models show more in the future. However, if you look at the numerical nao it's not negative because of ridging and hp in the atlantic (WAR). A true neg nao will have low pressure in the atlantic stretching under the greenland ridging towards the azores. 

I present a textbook numerical -nao and the thing to track on the ens is lower heights and low pressure in the atlantic 

U2aaA6A.png

38 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

This new thread structure sucks. I posted about the threat around the 10th in the threat thread but it's covered here. I'll post the weeklies in the threat thread in a few mins too. 

37 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

Think I’m ready to switch back too

Im not criticizing those that wanted it this way. I get why. And I can roll with whatever. But this seems more confusing. There is so much crossover between pattern and threat. There can be multiple mini discussions within the discussion. But once a specific threat gets to the point it’s sucking all the air out of the room we just need to start it’s own thread. In the past we waited too long because of the silly “it will kill it” thing. Threads don’t kill snow threats our climo does. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

Welp, it's pretty damn easy to track the most important feature on the weeklies week 3. We've had a bunch of ridging around greenland recently and all models show more in the future. However, if you look at the numerical nao it's not negative because of ridging and hp in the atlantic (WAR). A true neg nao will have low pressure in the atlantic stretching under the greenland ridging towards the azores. 

I present a textbook numerical -nao and the thing to track on the ens is lower heights and low pressure in the atlantic 

U2aaA6A.png

Weeklies have been pretty consistent in showing this textbook -NAO look. It has been pushed back some.. 5-6 runs ago it looked almost exactly like this for Feb 14. But yeah, we need to see this look show up on the ensembles and then hold at D10. then 7, then... etc.

24 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

U2aaA6A.png

At least it starts the epic ness immediately after day 15 this time. I suppose that’s better. 

Just now, C.A.P.E. said:

Weeklies have been pretty consistent in showing this textbook -NAO look. It has been pushed back some.. 5-6 runs ago it looked almost exactly like this for Feb 14. But yeah, we need to see this look show up on the ensembles and then hold at D10. then 7, then... etc.

The trough axis in the west half of the conus is a new development but agree on the atl side. Feels like we've been looking at pretty panels for months and it verifies with inverted pretty colors. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

The trough axis in the west half of the conus is a new development but agree on the atl side. Feels like we've been looking at pretty panels for months and it verifies with inverted pretty colors. 

I kind of like the idea of a -pna -NAO 50/50 look. Get some west to east juiced up huge coverage systems trying to cut into cold with a blocked in 50/50 with confluence to our north.   That sounds like a recipe that can work. 

• Like 2

Just now, Bob Chill said:

On a serious note... have you looked at the 7 day mean qpf anom for week 3? That + the h5 panel = epic

Bob,  have ever seen that type of anomaly before?

My friend told me about it, he is a weather weenie.  To him it was a first at that range. Not sure if he was simply messing with me.