Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
The Mystical Month of February--Long Range Discussion

Ji

Just now, frd said:

Bob,  have ever seen that type of anomaly before?

My friend told me about it, he is a weather weenie.  To him it was a first at that range. Not sure if he was simply messing with me. 

yes..we saw it Dec 2017 between Christmas and New Years. Didnt get a flake or a drop

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, frd said:

Bob,  have ever seen that type of anomaly before?

My friend told me about it, he is a weather weenie.  To him it was a first at that range. Not sure if he was simply messing with me. 

I've never seen an expanse like this on the weeklies beyond week 2. Usually it's little stripes or blobs. I'd agree that this is unusual. 

T3JQbsl.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, jaydreb said:

Really?  I’ll take your word for it!

It’s very rare to see a snow mean on the climo heavy weeklies past week 2 target the mid Atlantic over places north. If you ignore the snow in the high elevations to the north that plot clearly targets VA over places to the north. Strong storm under the blocking look. 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, snowmagnet said:

Too bad we’ve been burned by the weeklies all winter. But, if we can get a KU pattern... maybe there is hope. 

I don't think you can say we got burned. Lots of runs gave us hope but the skill for weekly and monthly guidance is really low. I'll be long dead before weather models can consistently nail anything beyond 2 weeks. I mostly track week 3 to see if the same pattern comes into focus with the global ensembles. Which hasn't really happened this year. Lol

Taking a closer look on the week 3 qpf shows another good sign. AN anoms in SoCal and southwest indicates the potential for a classic active southern stream/storm track. Maybe the MA gets a private hecs parade while suppression and depression sets up on Wxwatcher's house.... nah, I'm just kiddin. I hope wxwatcher gets destroyed as long as my yard gets twice as much.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

Just now, Bob Chill said:

I don't think you can say we got burned. Lots of runs gave us hope but the skill for weekly and monthly guidance is really low. I'll be long dead before weather models can consistently nail anything beyond 2 weeks. I mostly track week 3 to see if the same pattern comes into focus with the global ensembles. Which hasn't really happened this year. Lol

Damn, glancing at 33andrain and did you see the GEM ensembles  

I heard from the poster ( if he is correct ) they normally dont go cold crazy like this.  

Something is seriously UP near this date. Unreal....

cmc_z500a_c_exnamer_65__4_.png

• Like 2

Just now, Ji said:
9 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:
This might not look like much but it’s as strong a signal for a coastal storm as you will ever see at that range. 
29742C99-65B4-4E05-A3F0-E3FF71F4EB5A.thumb.png.f23dd82030956a10e5f2eccef709d161.png

Is this a joke?

No...that is a 5 day period not 10 or 15. A 2” mean is significant at that range for that amount of time and the way it’s cenyered over VA like that is another signal. It’s rare to see that past week 2 of the weeklies ever. 

• Like 1

Just now, nj2va said:

I haven’t checked this thread since this morning when I woke up. Wow, talk about a change from 14 hours ago. But what if the overnight backs down just a tad? Oh boy, get ready. 

That’s baked into the casserole.  I always expect a step back from the overnight runs.  Showme will bring the bad news around 6 am.  Always  

• Haha 4

45 minutes ago, jaydreb said:

Hey, if HM says we’ve got a classic Urals High then who am I to disagree?  All in!

Most of us are well versed on the impact of a Urals High.  If I have said it once I’ve said it a thousand times the Urals High is the key..no one listens to me

• Haha 1