Total Members
    Most Online
    Waltzman
    Newest Member
    Waltzman
WxUSAF

January 29-30, 2019 Arctic FROPA

1 hour ago, BaltimoreWxGuy said:

I’m not saying it won’t wreak any havoc I’m just saying I don’t think it’s that comparable of a system in my opinion 

If we get 2-4 Tuesday night and then temps in the teens Wed morning you can make the same bet

41 minutes ago, Eskimo Joe said:

That really isn't cold for what is supposed to be the coldest time of the year.

You should transfer your hobby to clinically depressed, negative and wrong and cease cluttering up space here.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

20 minutes ago, stormtracker said:

He really is an awful poster though.  He's one of the few here that make being here unpleasant most of the time.

You have the power.

26 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

I see a definite east trend the last 4 runs. If my area fails again that’s my guess how. Wave stays mostly east. 

It's possible. Seeing the 0z and 12z euro basically being a carbon copy with synoptics is comforting. A bit too close for the ensembles but the euro control and ensemble suite strongly supports the op. 

The trickiest thing since day one is there is literally no room on the margins. What would normally be an insignificant shift is make or break on this one. Especially as you go west. I feel pretty good for my hood though. Dead center is a good place to be at 48 hour leads with a setup like this. I'm close to setting a 2" bar but don't have confidence yet even with the short leads. Even a inch would be great considering what's coming on wed/thurs. Deep winter is coming even if only for a couple days. 

• Like 4

34 minutes ago, losetoa6 said:

Euro op if correct would be a lot of record lows 

Screenshot_20190127-175623_Chrome_crop_540x359.jpg

That is calling for all-time records in my home territory in southern MN.  The fresh snowpack there will help, but this isn’t 94 or 96.

4 minutes ago, MN Transplant said:

That is calling for all-time records in my home territory in southern MN.  The fresh snowpack there will help, but this isn’t 94 or 96.

Yeah -3635 would be crazy!

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, stormtracker said:

Where is Yoder and what did you do to his account?   The real yoder would have been telling us about marginal boundary level temps, it's only advisory level and that it's going to be 70 next week.

Wait...

I did mention the 70 next week in another thread ;)

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

Yeah. Lets just lock the FV3 up right now and call it a night. 2-5 region wide and through both metro's. Sounds like a win to me.

Absolutely...FV3 is money.  Tuesday evening looks fun.

C788B7C2-FECC-4B65-A06C-EAE341B287A1.png

• Like 4

My main concern with this event, as others have mentioned, is surface temps.  These are the euro temps for 00z Wednesday.  By this point most of our QPF has fallen and DC has about 0.1 left.  

4546D70C-57AE-42D2-99C3-FC723CE23CAD.png

1 hour ago, DCTeacherman said:

My main concern with this event, as others have mentioned, is surface temps.  These are the euro temps for 00z Wednesday.  By this point most of our QPF has fallen and DC has about 0.1 left.  

They'll definitely be marginal where I'm at but the past several runs of the GFS has shown some decent, if not brief heavy snow soundings with that window of opportunity.  If it pans out that way, we could pick up a couple inches of snow relatively quickly.  I've seen that scenario before and the last time it happened, we lost power for 3 days.  

21 minutes ago, DCTeacherman said:

It snowed heavy and stuck to the roads at 35 in November and I live south of DC.  Dont think it would be a problem in late January, at night.

• Like 6

12 minutes ago, GATECH said:

It snowed heavy and stuck to the roads at 35 in November and I live south of DC.  Dont think it would be a problem in late January, at night.

Yeah it can definitely happen, but these rain to snow transitions have broken both ways for us in recent years.  I wouldn’t be surprised if we get 4-5 inches or if we bust and get less than an inch. 

8 minutes ago, GATECH said:

Agree as long as rates are there (which appears to be the case). Best case would be solid rates shortly after onset before the bulk of the precip comes. A bit of a wildard there though but lay down a nice coating quick enough and the rest will accumulate easily. 

Even though Kuchera has consistently shown above 10:1 I'm not sure that's possible with onset above freezing during the daylight hours. The mid and upper column gets cold in a hurry though with the cold push into the midlevels during the meat of the event. With shallow cold confined to the surface and what appears to be good conditions in the DGZ is a little unique. Might be big fluffy high ratio dendrites in spite of temps near or above freezing. 

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, DCTeacherman said:

Yeah it can definitely happen, but these rain to snow transitions have broken both ways for us in recent years.  I wouldn’t be surprised if we get 4-5 inches or if we bust and get less than an inch. 

Totally, actually don’t remember any really that have worked out, 2011 comes to mind but that was different setup.  My bar is a sloppy inch for my area and would call it a win, anything more would be pure gravy.

3 minutes ago, GATECH said:

Totally, actually don’t remember any really that have worked out, 2011 comes to mind but that was different setup.  My bar is a sloppy inch for my area and would call it a win, anything more would be pure gravy.

I thought there was one in 2015 that started out warm but gave us 6 inches...I could be wrong though. 

1 hour ago, MN Transplant said:

I grew up on a farm in northeast Iowa and have never experienced the -34 forecast for Waterloo although have seen it in the forecast on several occasions.  I've experienced many -20 to -25 nights and a few below that but never -34.  Until recently, I believe the all time record in Waterloo was -32 on March 1st.  

Elkader has the all time low in my area of minus 50 something; guess that is safe. 

15 minutes ago, DCTeacherman said:

I thought there was one in 2015 that started out warm but gave us 6 inches...I could be wrong though. 

March 5 2015. Most snow fell in the daylight IIRC but it did change from rain to snow very early morning so sun angle wasn't the biggest deal. Got 7" here followed by single digits. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, DCTeacherman said:

It will be from 4-7 and sun has waned. 11-2 and I would have the same concern